• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad 2021/22

Forum Phoenix

Love all the news, but honestly, Birra and Marcos are two massive players for us to have been able to keep, really impressed with the work that’s been done. Club seems to be doing everything possible to see us build on last year. Which is a real ray of sunshine after so many miserable off seasons.

If we can get two quality wingers, I think a 433 would be suited to our squad as it is. Nizz and Ballard sharing the ten role alongside Olly and Stens is a quality midfield.

Recruit an LB, a striker, two wingers, and I think we’d be looking very solid,

Last edited:

Big Al

Love all the news, but honestly, Birra and Marcos are two massive players for us to have been able to keep, really impressed with the work that’s been done. Club seems to be doing everything possible to see us build on last year. Which is real ray of sunshine after so many miserable off seasons.

If we can get two quality wingers, I think a 433 would be suited to our squad as it is. Nizz and Ballard sharing the ten role alongside Olly and Stens is a quality midfield.

Wingers are a must no matter what formation. We have none.

turbo

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would suit the players we’ve got pretty well IMO. Only question there is where are you playing Urena - is he your main striker playing in attack focused wings or do you play him a bit wider or deeper?

Pirate Pete

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would suit the players we’ve got pretty well IMO. Only question there is where are you playing Urena - is he your main striker playing in attack focused wings or do you play him a bit wider or deeper?
You couldn't play him as the main striker.
If things aren't going well, he goes looking for the ball and does drop back.
I can't really see any coach telling him he can't do that.
So I think you need a main striker and let Urena do what he does.

scottmac

Suspended
The only iteration of 433 that fits Urena in it is a narrow diamond (edit - triangle) front 3 with Urena behind a left and right striker and a left and right back that bomb on. That will require a couple of the best f**king wide midfield signings this club has ever seen and a choice of Stens or Olly in midfield.

Where do you put Niz in a 433? He can't play in the front 3 and a middle 3 of Nizz Ollie and Stens is too narrow for that formation.

I think our finances and our current players see us signing 1 or 2 wide midfield players (and don't be surprised to see Casella and Bouman in this mix or that the signings will be round pegs in square holes) and 1 or 2 wide defenders. Then we play 442 again or push Ollie forward and play a 41212. I think formations will rely on the signings I've mentioned above. IMO we can't afford the attacking quality in the team to play wide formations like 433 or 4231.

Last edited:

iggythump

If RT went from the Socceroos squad to the Olympic training camp it would indicate he has not returned home meaning he arguably has not signed for anyone.

Maybe we will have appointed the coach by then so he can decide

he only stayed overseas due to the short turn around, if he came back to Aus would've been sitting in hotel quarantine to only fly out to Japan right after

Forum Phoenix

You couldn't play him as the main striker.
If things aren't going well, he goes looking for the ball and does drop back.
I can't really see any coach telling him he can't do that.
So I think you need a main striker and let Urena do what he does.

I think he could definitely play 'main striker' depending on how we are looking to attack. I appreciate that he did a great job dropping deep to get on the ball try and help open an attack, but as the season progressed and his fitness lifted he also did excellent work both in direct play counters and really surprised me with his pace and hold up play.

I get your point, but honestly, we could do a hell of lot worse than Marco as the tip of the spear and disagree with SM that we can be sure he needs a formation where he can sit in behind to be effective. Personally, from what he's said and how he played later in the season, I think he wants to get on goal a lot more, and this season was doing what he could and what he had to, to help the team and manage his physical limitations due to late arrival etc. But I think there's every chance as the tip of the spear he could bag 12 plus imo with the right players feeding him.

I thought I knew what kind of striker he was, but as his fitness grew, he changed more and more, making fast breaks, running off the last man, and like any good south American footballer, he seemed to thrive on constant movement, creativity and link play. So again, I think a 433 could be a possibility... But to be truly effective, we'd need need the right wing backs, so they can also get forward to support the wide forwards. Miller can do this I think. Hatch may not have the defensive ability yet... but he can at least definitely do this in attack and get back. And we need two real wingers, though In Casella and Bouman I think we have very decent subs for wide forwards in a 433.

Interesting times.

Pete, Josh and anyone else who's been attending, How has Monty been setting up his academy sides these past two years?

Last edited:

Ironbark

I think he could definitely play 'main striker' depending on how we are looking to attack. I appreciate that he did a great job dropping deep to get on the ball try and help open an attack, but as the season progressed and his fitness lifted he also did excellent work both in direct play counters and really surprised me with his pace and hold up play.

I get your point, but honestly, we could do a hell of lot worse than Marco as the tip of the spear and disagree with SM that we can be sure he needs a formation where he can sit in behind to be effective. Personally, from what he's said and how he played later in the season, I think he wants to get on goal a lot more, and this season was doing what he could and what he had to, to help the team and manage his physical limitations due to late arrival etc. But I think there's every chance as the tip of the spear he could bag 12 plus imo with the right players feeding him.

I thought I knew what kind of striker he was, but as his fitness grew, he changed more and more, making fast breaks, running off the last man, and like any good south American footballer, he seemed to thrive on constant movement, creativity and link play. So again, I think a 433 could be a possibility... But to be truly effective, we'd need need the right wing backs, so they can also get forward to support the wide forwards. Miller can do this I think. Hatch may not have the defensive ability yet... but he can at least definitely do this in attack and get back. And we need two real wingers, though In Casella and Bouman I think we have very decent subs for wide forwards in a 433.

Interesting times.

Pete, Josh and anyone else who's been attending, How has Monty been setting up his academy sides these past two years?
On Marco one of the things that really impressed me this year was his support/education of the youngsters.
Many times both live and on tv I saw him coaching on the field. Once, as he came off for Kuol, he spoke rapid fire to Alou about what was happening in the game and the ways he should play from there.

If you rewatch one of the games where he partnered Reec upfront, can't remember which though I looked, you see him talking Reec through the game and directing his runs constantly and it led to a goal.

He is a massive player for us, much more valuable than what he can do alone (i.e. score in world cups).
He's a smart player who reads the game well and brings the youth up with him. His 2 years re-signing is as big a signing as we've ever pulled off imo

Big Al

Urena is valuable dropping back because our other players don’t have the skill to do what he does so we appreciate it so much but as FP said he got lot more one on ones off the edges as he got fitter and i he wants to lead the line to make the World Cup.

A quality winger is much more important than a striker.

We won’t buy a striker we don’t have the money to buy two. Just be happy we finally got one

Last edited:

Rising Sun

From the NPL games I have watched Monty principally plays a 4-4-2 system but does sometimes revert to a 4-2-3-1 if the need arises and if the chips are down, he has occasionally tweaked it to a 3-5-2, so he is tactically versatile imho.
I am not as tactically astute as some on here but I would call the set up this year as 4-2-2-2 (rather than 4-4-2), it has pretty much mirrored the A-League set up, and I had assumed that was deliberate. But he has also changed it to suit the personnel available on the day e.g. 4-2-3-1, and also change it during games when required. So I am also of the opinion that he is tactically versatile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred