• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Big Al

So Wales didn’t get credit for an assist for either goal.

However if he had and we know he contributed to those goals he would have had 3 assists in 3 games and been out equal assist leader with Hoole.

That’s bad from the rest of the team but good work from Locky

Scotty

Contrary to even just a couple of weeks ago, I'm starting to wonder whether someone like Matty might not be beneficial... Both for the spirit he brings and for the size and mongrel factor he bring... There would be plenty of players around him, who can dance through defences and be generally technically astute... If he can still hit the target, it might be worthwhile having someone who doesn't mind pushing his way through a defence in a brute-force kind of way, every now and again. Someone who can also stand up for the smaller boys around him when they get shoved around. City weren't too bad like that, but I found myself pining for someone like Akinfenwa yesterday ;)
Fat Forward!

Forum Phoenix

Honestly, let’s just stick the bloody kid upfront for a month and see what happens, regardless of the speed v talent question, fact is he has lightening speed and that always has and always will score some goals in football.

If Trent can become skilful with his runs and movement over the next two years with his speed he could have a decade as a good - maybe even better than good - striker. As a winger, from everything I’ve seen, I’m less convinced he’ll go that far. Though he can still use his speed to score some goals from there his interlink play and lack of physicality may take a good while to adjust.

Last edited:

Ozhammer

With all the talk about Marty S on here, I would just remind folks that his record at the Smurfs is two goals in two years, so just what we need then.......o_O

Timmah

That list of players @JoyfulPenguin posted a page or two back of former Paulo youth internationals all under contract... is there any reason 1 or 2 might not be available? i.e. on the outer at current club and released during this window?

JoyfulPenguin

That list of players @JoyfulPenguin posted a page or two back of former Paulo youth internationals all under contract... is there any reason 1 or 2 might not be available? i.e. on the outer at current club and released during this window?
Not really unfortunately, all are either playing fairly regularly in their side or injured. Chris Ikonomidis is looking for a loan though and after not performing overly well in Denmark and Serie B I doubt he is getting fantastic offers in Europe.

Coastalraider

I dont know the standard details of transfers - lets just go hypothetical.

If Yeboah was loaned to us, usually it would be to get more game time, benefiting both his current and loan club. How much of his current contract would we be expected to pay?? Would it be a small percentage, none, or all? I realise there would be differences, but my thinking is that if we were to release someone like ashcroft on low money, would that free cash be enough to 'partially pay' a player on loan??

scottmac

Suspended
Honestly, let’s just stick the bloody kid upfront for a month and see what happens, regardless of the speed v talent question, fact is he has lightening speed and that always has and always will score some goals in football.

If Trent can become skilful with his runs and movement over the next two years with his speed he could have a decade as a good - maybe even better than good - striker. As a winger, from everything I’ve seen, I’m less convinced he’ll go that far. Though he can still use his speed to score some goals from there his interlink play and lack of physicality may take a good while to adjust.
Always has and always will score goals in football? Appiah Kubi anyone?

Timmah

Ascroft departure is official now: https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/harry-ascroft-completes-overseas-transfer

The Central Coast Mariners can today advise that Harry Ascroft has been granted a release to complete a transfer to Maltese Premier League outfit, Balzan F.C.

After being granted permission to trial in Malta, Ascroft has earned a contract with the club that finished second in the 2016-17 top tier of Maltese football.

The 22-year-old defender signed with the Central Coast Mariners in July 2015 from Dutch outfit, VVV-Venlo and made 34 Hyundai A-League appearances, scoring four goals as a defender.

Ascroft’s trial and transfer is a result of a newly established relationship between the Central Coast Mariners and Balzan F.C. This relationship is aimed to increase player pathway opportunities into Europe for young Australian players.

Upon signing his contract with Marko Micovic’s Balzan F.C, Harry thanked everyone at the Mariners for making him feel at home on the Central Coast.

“I would like to thank Central Coast Mariners for giving me the fantastic opportunity to play in the Hyundai A-League,” Ascroft said. “I would like to wish the boys all the very best for the future and the rest of the season.

“Finally, I would like to say a huge thanks to the fans who have supported me on this journey – you welcomed me with open arms from day one and that’s something I will never forget.

“The opportunity to return to Europe and continue my dream is certainly an exciting one and a new experience for me,” Ascroft said.

Central Coast Mariners Head of Football, Nick Montgomery further explained the relationship established between the Mariners & Balzan F.C.

“To establish a relationship with a club in Europe that will give young Australians a chance to play regularly is great for the Mariners,” Montgomery said.

“We will continue to work with Balzan and see this as a great pathway for Australians to be exposed to football in Europe.

“This gives young Australians like Harry an opportunity to play football abroad and develop their game, whilst earning regular game time,” Montgomery added.

The Central Coast Mariners wish Harry Ascroft all the best on his future endeavours with his new club.

Forum Phoenix

Always has and always will score goals in football? Appiah Kubi anyone?

Score “ Some” goals I said - so his 2 still counts right? ;) But anyway, was talking about strikers, and errrr... we all know Kubi is not a striker.

I Wouldn’t apply the rule to Usain Bolt either and like Kubi I assume he cannot shoot at an acceptable level. TBF, Mr Bolt is likely a better shot thank Kubi... but that’s one low game of limbo we’re playing. No one go quoting the Man U rumour ok!

But anyway I know you’re just having a laugh. :thumbup:

That said yeah I do think though that serious speed like Trent’s when combined with the Old ball over the top, or on the break, or roll off the shoulder as one is slid through ... or bend your run and then break at the right moment etc followed by outrunning defenders scores goals “somewhat” regularly as a tactic. But it’s a tactic whose “primary” ingredient is speed and we’ve seen TBT do this for us a few times already.

Whereas we’ve seen kubis speed give him the opportunity... but he’s unable, and the fact he’s unable to take it is not his lack of speed.

But now take that kind of speed away as with Adsrubal and his recent chance and he proved he couldn’t capitalise on the perfect ball even though he timed his initial run perfectly.

Mind you even though he was done for speed on that miss, he had a lot of space to begin and even once run down all he had to do was angle himself so that he’s in front of the closing defender and either he’s fouled and the defender is sent or he stays in his very prime 1v1 scenario. He could have shot earlier too I guess but really if he was a few yards faster, that would have created the easiest chance.

I think Trent’s capable of making these runs aswell. On balance, I think he’d almost certainly score more than Powell or Adsrubal have been managing because of the above.

Fishsdad

Thanks for posting this Timmah, I'm sure all of us wish Harry every success.

It wasn't so long ago that I thought he had the potential to be a fair to middling A League player. He played a couple of times as DM, and to my uneducated eyes he seemed to position himself well and was able to drive forward with the ball. TBH I thought he'd make it, whereas Jake was never going anywhere. Munch, munch, I'm eating my words re Jake; and hope that we hear big things about HA in Malta and anywhere else his career takes him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred