• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Gratis

Didn't expect to see an article like this just now....
www.a-league.com.au/article/nab-one-to-watch-paul-izzo/b54riw4cynma1djqydzqvhvje

One to watch: Paul Izzo
Wednesday, 9 March 2016
Staff writer
While this season has been a tough slog for cellar-dwellers Central Coast Mariners, the club has unearthed a goalkeeper capable of following in the footsteps of club legends Mat Ryan and Danny Vukovic.
Paul Izzo was thrust into the No.1 jersey for Tony Walmsley’s side following the departure of Liam Reddy.
And the former Red has done his best to protect a Mariners goal under siege for most of the season.
The 21-year-old has made numerous clutch saves with his sharp reflexes, making nearly 60 stops in total in his 17 appearances so far this season.
Izzo has shown maturity beyond his years in trying to marshal the Mariners’ youthful backline, which will only get stronger given more experience.
The Olyroo shot-stopper was forced to miss Australia’s Rio qualifying campaign through injury but has put the disappointment behind him with some strong performances of late.
Izzo still has a year to run on his Central Coast contract having joined the Mariners from Adelaide in the off-season and is very much a part of the rebuild taking place in Gosford.
A product of the AIS system Izzo looks set for a long career in the Hyundai A-League and is this week’s NAB one to watch.

Manny_ccm

www.a-league.com.au/article/nab-one-to-watch-paul-izzo/b54riw4cynma1djqydzqvhvje

Wednesday, 9 March 2016
Staff writer
While this season has been a tough slog for cellar-dwellers Central Coast Mariners, the club has unearthed a goalkeeper capable of following in the footsteps of club legends Mat Ryan and Danny Vukovic.
Paul Izzo was thrust into the No.1 jersey for Tony Walmsley’s side following the departure of Liam Reddy.
And the former Red has done his best to protect a Mariners goal under siege for most of the season.
The 21-year-old has made numerous clutch saves with his sharp reflexes, making nearly 60 stops in total in his 17 appearances so far this season.
Izzo has shown maturity beyond his years in trying to marshal the Mariners’ youthful backline, which will only get stronger given more experience.
The Olyroo shot-stopper was forced to miss Australia’s Rio qualifying campaign through injury but has put the disappointment behind him with some strong performances of late.
Izzo still has a year to run on his Central Coast contract having joined the Mariners from Adelaide in the off-season and is very much a part of the rebuild taking place in Gosford.
A product of the AIS system Izzo looks set for a long career in the Hyundai A-League and is this week’s NAB one to watch.

Probably won't make a difference to the embarrassing group of "supporters" in Bays 15 and 16 who continue to heckle him :mad:

Forum Phoenix

Truth is he's only 21 and we've become accustomed to amazing keepers. I'm not happy with his performances, but I'll concede that at the moment after this horror season - we're almost certainly being extra tough on him.

I think the setting of the walls and that early fumble into his goal plus his mistakes in distribution and clearances have been very hard to take and has us all "decided" on him. But this is a harsh stance for anyone so young - and especially playing in a high pressure position - with little experience around him and the team having it's worst ever on field year.

At 21 - he's pretty likely to be a great keeper in another 3 years. But we're used to keepers being great from pretty much the get go, and we all understandably want a great keeper now. Nor is there any pretending that he has been a shining light in the dark this year. He has had a poor season.

So here we are...

Last edited:

pjennings

We only just signed a 3 year deal with them?

EDIT: Negotiations (if they are even taking place) are probably set aside while the whole Gosford-Wyong merger happens anyway?

MC alluded to this when he was in Aus. He basically said we were keen to become the operators. To paraphrase my memory of what he said the council are saying they cannot do anything at the moment with merger of the two councils - basically saying it will be the asset of the larger council and they cannot make really discuss it until the merged council is formed.

Wombat

Wednesday, 9 March 2016
Staff writer

Let's hope staff writer is a scout for some a league teams.

Izzo is about the same level as Pasfield.

Sadly he is not starting 11 standard ATM.

localpom

Probably won't make a difference to the embarrassing group of "supporters" in Bays 15 and 16 who continue to heckle him :mad:
Agree. I was pretty disgusted with some so called fans who heckled Izzo. He's a young keeper with big potential and has been one of our best players over the last few games. Yes, he has made a few errors,especially on free kicks, but which young player hasn't this season. They will all grow and learn from it.

localpom

Let's hope staff writer is a scout for some a league teams.

Izzo is about the same level as Pasfield.

Sadly he is not starting 11 standard ATM.
Izzo has played much better than Pasfield did for us and he is still a kid who won't reach his potential for years yet. What i like about Izzo (much like Matty) is that he hasn't let the situation get to him and seems very driven to improve his game week to week. It's not ideal he has been blooded in our worst ever season where he has been under constant pressure. Agree that it was a season too early for him but he will be a better keeper for that. I don't really understand the hate for the kid....someone has to be a scapegoat i guess.

Gratis

I'm in agreeance with all comments so far, and think that Matty had a much better set of circumstances to work with in his first season.

That said I would like to have seen more of Bray just to see how he goes and to give him his chance to prove himself. Izzo may very well be the superior keeper but I'd still like to see some more of Bray

Big Al

TW keeps picking him knowing he has major flaws that need a lot of work.

As AU backup how much game time has he missed that has hindered his development that only high pressure game time offers.

He is struggling big time with the step up.

He is a virgin at a brothel at free kicks.

localpom

TW keeps picking him knowing he has major flaws that need a lot of work.

As AU backup how much game time has he missed that has hindered his development that only high pressure game time offers.

He is struggling big time with the step up.

He is a virgin at a brothel at free kicks.
Think he's getting there Al. Hasn't made many errors in the last 4 games.

dibo

Agreed. He's got to work on set pieces, and maybe be a bit smarter when kicking into the wind, but other than that he's looked pretty bloody good if you ask me.

FFC Mariner

Personally I don't think he is HAL standard and we will bring in another keeper.

Redders might be available now he has been whiteanted by Reddy (I'm not sure he's much better tbh)

Big Al

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/walmsley-no-disciplinary-issues-mariners#:s99qhHHNz25OI

“We went into the game last week without Monty and were hopeful of a couple of the young guns stepping up and letting him know that he’s not missed so much anymore but we didn’t return enough repossessions in midfield and it just shows what Monty’s capability is,” he said.

Also unavailable for selection is goalkeeper Alistair Bray, after the former Bentleigh Greens shot-stopper suffered a knee injury in training.

“Ali Bray pulled up with a knee injury yesterday at training so we’re waiting for scans now to see how bad it is. Hopefully it’s not season ending,” he said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred