• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad 2021/22

Ads

Roux was a shining light before that bad tackle all those years ago.

Question is, was his time at Victory mainly made him look bad because opposition attacks very overrunning there front and mid so they were always defending running back, or running around like headless chooks. (Sound familiar)?

Or was he individually making poor passes and mistakes giving the ball away when not under pressure?

I can’t say I watched enough of victory to comment.

But I can say for our poor 5 years we had some ok CB and WB but when you are in that ‘rut’ as a team the opposition can run riot either way.

Could Roux do a Simon resurgence?
Does Roux have the legs as a Wing Back?
If we do get him will we play a back 3.

Ozhammer

Luke Ivanovic has departed Sydney looking for first team football, would u guys take him, I think he’d be decent for us
He hasn’t convinced me from what I have seen from him but SFC must have felt he had potential as he has been around their first team for at least a couple of seasons.

No doubt Monty and Ken will know if he is worth looking at.

turbo

I think he could have a better season with Tongyik and Rowles in the middle (assuming RT is back) and offer what we were missing in an attacking RB. I wouldn’t want to over pay for him but I think it’s worth a look. Miller may be the future but being the most senior RB option isn’t ideal.

Also no to 3 at the back for me.

pjennings

Question is, was his time at Victory mainly made him look bad because opposition attacks very overrunning there front and mid so they were always defending running back, or running around like headless chooks. (Sound familiar)?

Or was he individually making poor passes and mistakes giving the ball away when not under pressure?

But I can say for our poor 5 years we had some ok CB and WB but when you are in that ‘rut’ as a team the opposition can run riot either way.

in a 3-5-2 he fits at RM with Kye, Ruon and Hall as the back three. As part of a back four I'm not convinced by either Roux or Hatch. If we go back 4 Miller is in front of Roux (defensively). Miller though looks lost going forward at the top level.

Michael

Obviously not related to us but geeze Popa’s getting active at victory and ironically signing one of the most inactive Aussie players Spiranovic.
I hope montys able to start being active!

sydmariner

style_cafe

It’s a no from me on Roux but then I didn’t like Bojic either. Both of them seem to hit the invisible wall at the 18yd box and just don’t know what to do. Miller on the other hand wants to get forward but needs more experience and confidence to be able to take on defences and attack the box. If Monty can coach that then Miller could be sensational for us….:popcorn:

JoyfulPenguin

For me, Roux's biggest issue was that he was consistently poor cross, when fully fit I thought he was a serviceable right back in the A-League.

Maybe Roux and Miller competing for one spot would improve both of them? Roux had no real competition for his place as a fullback in Victory's side and was picked automatically when fit, just like when he was here. If Roux is cheap I would say he is worth a punt.

jacobsfl

Just felt like dropping this here... not sure what everyone else thinks, but we can't have another season with Simon as a starter, at least in my opinion. We still need another forward to play with Urena. Matty just isn't the answer anymore to me.

I like Nicolai Müller - fits the mould of an advanced playmaker we need right now and would be a good DDS replacement.

I don't mind Storm Roux but only because I'm not the biggest fan of having Miller as our most senior RB... don't get me wrong, I think Miller could be a class player for this club.

Just my two cents.

Corsair

Roux is 28 and already seems to have given up, can't see many years left in his career unless he picks himself up. This should be his prime but he seems to have peaked and on the downward. I agree the major injury took a toll, which is to be expected. It would seem like a desperation cheap signing of old, the type we've been burnt on over and over... hope Monty is not too naive.

Miller is a real dilemma. Reasonable defense but goes missing at RB and drifts into the centre leaving a big hole that I've watched goals come through repeatedly. Seems to be very much a jobsworth that need to be told exactly what to do all the time and won't accept blame for mistakes. Flipside is he can tackle strongly, is a big unit, much better than Nigro going forward but can over commit. He can cross way better than Nigro and is a lot less scared than Nigro (too many lateral or back passes) to make a mistake. He needs a lot of work still but I think Monty is the coach to do it. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Corsair

He looked to me like he didn't give a shit last season for Victory, which is not the player he was for us and was really disappointing to watch. Think about the effort Pain put in for us even when we were total shite, that's showing heart. I'm not sure someone who's lost enthusiasm to that extent at this point in his career is ever going to get it back.

Wombat

From these comments some of you have never played Football and if you have its never been in defence.

I've played with some very talented players over the years who have been thrown on the pitch in defence for the last 5 or 6 minutes of a game due to injury or whatever. Jimmy, what the f**k am i supposed to do as they get cluelessy dragged around the front 3rd......i revert to under 7ys coaching to get them through.

Roux is a pretty WB going forward and he is skilled enough for some people to ask if he could play in the Mids. Storm is not good enough to play in the Mids and has zero discipline or understanding of his requirements to be a FB. He is 100% not what we need after finally improving our defensive structure this year. Nice guy but a very shit defender.

Wombat

He looked to me like he didn't give a shit last season for Victory, which is not the player he was for us and was really disappointing to watch. Think about the effort Pain put in for us even when we were total shite, that's showing heart. I'm not sure someone who's lost enthusiasm to that extent at this point in his career is ever going to get it back.
Its nothing to do with enthusiasm Dobbie. Technically he is vastly more skilled than Nigro but Nigro is the better player. And both are not good enough to wear our shirt.

Corsair

Its nothing to do with enthusiasm Dobbie. Technically he is vastly more skilled than Nigro but Nigro is the better player. And both are not good enough to wear our shirt.
If all you can afford is bread then you eat butter sandwiches unfortunately. If we don't have the money then I'd rather see a junior get a chance than a has been or a shortfall.

By the way that means i agree with you... who'd have thought?! ? ?

turbo

Just felt like dropping this here... not sure what everyone else thinks, but we can't have another season with Simon as a starter, at least in my opinion. We still need another forward to play with Urena. Matty just isn't the answer anymore to me.
He hasn’t been the answer since we got him back from Sydney and most expected him to be the super sub and club leader. And relying on a striker bordering on retirement and hoping his one good season in recent memory wasn’t a one off is a very dangerous strategy.

Don’t get me wrong the wizard is a club legend but he shouldn’t be the starting striker we plan to begin the season with. If injury/travel delays/suspension forces our hand sure but not plan A.

scottmac

Suspended
Steipermann

I like Nicolai Müller - fits the mould of an advanced playmaker we need right now and would be a good DDS replacement.

I don't mind Storm Roux but only because I'm not the biggest fan of having Miller as our most senior RB... don't get me wrong, I think Miller could be a class player for this club.

Just my two cents.
I think if Miller gets a full season he'll kick on. I think he just needs to be able to settle into the role. He only ever gets limited time in which he tries to prove himself. If it's his and he doesn't have to prove anything i think he'll settle and make it his own.

Big Dog

Steipermann

I think if Miller gets a full season he'll kick on. I think he just needs to be able to settle into the role. He only ever gets limited time in which he tries to prove himself. If it's his and he doesn't have to prove anything i think he'll settle and make it his own.
Monty has seen plenty of him over the last couple of seasons and will know exactly what he has to offer. Personally, I think it's a make or break season for him here. If he can stay disciplined and stick to what Monty wants he could do well but I do think we need a better RB as a starter.

JoyfulPenguin

Ivanovic apparently going to Roar, wonder if we enquired. After we went in for Najjarine it seems we are on the lookout for a direct replacement for De Silva. They're aren't many A-League experienced 10s in the country right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred