• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Mariners Squad 2021/22

Ozhammer

Roux is 28 and already seems to have given up, can't see many years left in his career unless he picks himself up. This should be his prime but he seems to have peaked and on the downward. I agree the major injury took a toll, which is to be expected. It would seem like a desperation cheap signing of old, the type we've been burnt on over and over... hope Monty is not too naive.

Miller is a real dilemma. Reasonable defense but goes missing at RB and drifts into the centre leaving a big hole that I've watched goals come through repeatedly. Seems to be very much a jobsworth that need to be told exactly what to do all the time and won't accept blame for mistakes. Flipside is he can tackle strongly, is a big unit, much better than Nigro going forward but can over commit. He can cross way better than Nigro and is a lot less scared than Nigro (too many lateral or back passes) to make a mistake. He needs a lot of work still but I think Monty is the coach to do it. Fingers crossed.
I think Monty will be a lot more focused on individual player development but will be brutally honest with each of them, so I expect to see our younger players get better over time and not regress as seemed to sometimes be the case last season.

With regard to Roux re-signing, I would be as much concerned with his off field conduct as his on-field performance but am again prepared to trust Monty and Ken’s judgement here.

Last edited:

Ben10

Just felt like dropping this here... not sure what everyone else thinks, but we can't have another season with Simon as a starter, at least in my opinion. We still need another forward to play with Urena. Matty just isn't the answer anymore to me.

I like Nicolai Müller - fits the mould of an advanced playmaker we need right now and would be a good DDS replacement.

I think this links into where Bouman fits. I thought he looked okay last year, in a year where he seemed to be mainly playing out of position, he still supplied a few assists.

Give him a shot upfront with Urena or maaaaaybe as a 10 in behind. He has the potential, just needs the trust and support.

FYI I'm not suggesting him as a DDS replacement, we definitely still need another player in for this role. But I'd be happy to see Bouman up top with Urena. He always looked most dangerous driving into the box, committing defenders.

Tim

Just a random thought and no doubt this will be resisted by many on this forum but would we take Roy O’Donovan back for a modest contract? He doesn’t appear to have a club and is almost certainly past his best but at the right price would he be a useful addition to the squad? He’s friends with Monty as far as I’m aware. Or would this be the equivalent of relying on another M Simon player at the end of his career and we don’t have room for 2 ageing strikers…

true believer

I'm also a no to Roux. We need better, simple as that. Happy for Miller to develop into the roll but he's not there yet
i just cant see a case for roux .i would rather have kept nigro .
if we're looking for another RB. lets go find ,who is the best in the npl and make an offer.
if not play miller . my only problem with this is, he's a big unit now ,built for CB .

true believer

Just a random thought and no doubt this will be resisted by many on this forum but would we take Roy O’Donovan back for a modest contract? He doesn’t appear to have a club and is almost certainly past his best but at the right price would he be a useful addition to the squad? He’s friends with Monty as far as I’m aware. Or would this be the equivalent of relying on another M Simon player at the end of his career and we don’t have room for 2 ageing strikers…
no

booney

Definite no to ROD( if going to sign a veteran striker Berisha the bastard fits the bill better).A bit undecided about Roux but probably not.Miller's defensive flaws ( poor positioning and haphazard tracking) can be largely corrected on the training paddock-that's what the club pays coaches for .He needs a lot of work on his defensive play but at 20 has time to learn how to play at RB.His attacking play needs fine tuning but he appears willing to go forward-needs to work hard on crosses and passing-ditto the training paddock.

Muller would be an asset as he is versatile in the differing midfield roles and has a couple of goals in him.Baumjohann is skilful but possibly not to Monty's liking-however he and Urena would complement each other if we could get hold of a quick striker who would feast on their clever passes behind defenders-to find such a striker is the dream of 98% of clubs around the world.Is Buhagiar a possibility for this role? -howeverhis injury profile is not that good.

I was often critical of Nigro last season but more so of his attacking play than his defending which was acceptable-he will find Popovic demanding but could blossom back at Victory.

Casella's departure is premature as I think with more game time he could develop into a handy wide player.Bouman's correct position in the team is a bit difficult to assess-not really a wide player,not really a true AM and not an out and out striker.However he can play all of these roles to a certain extent so a useful squad player to have.

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
As relates to Roux , his In the same headspace as Golec ,leg gets snapped and on field skill (and probably off field too) goes to shit

midfielder

Muller would be an asset as he is versatile in the differing midfield roles and has a couple of goals in him.Baumjohann is skilful but possibly not to Monty's liking-however he and Urena would complement each other if we could get hold of a quick striker who would feast on their clever passes behind defenders-to find such a striker is the dream of 98% of clubs around the world.Is Buhagiar a possibility for this role? -howeverhis injury profile is not that good.

Heard the Umina Boy is unhappy at the Flying Circus re game time.... always through his best position was as a nine not a wide player... he has pace to burn and if we had Baumjoham & Urena behind him hhhhmmm.

Thoughts guys

midfielder

For me Miller as right back is the go.... he is young, big and a big engine...

Comparing how he played at 18 and younger in a side that was thrashed weekly is not fair...

As an aside if we sign Miller & the Umina Boy their wages would be on the lower side which may enable Baumjohan and players of his ilk to be signed...

Last edited:

Big Al

Heard the Umina Boy is unhappy at the Flying Circus re game time.... always through his best position was as a nine not a wide player... he has pace to burn and if we had Baumjoham & Urena behind him hhhhmmm.

Thoughts guys
He’s broken. You go to Sydney as an unproven player that’s what you get. They only play you when they rest the imports.

He needs to get over the injury first and prove he is ok before we go near him

Wombat

If all you can afford is bread then you eat butter sandwiches unfortunately. If we don't have the money then I'd rather see a junior get a chance than a has been or a shortfall.

By the way that means i agree with you... who'd have thought?! ? ?
You have to agree with me sometimes Dobbie...... just on law of averages.

TBH I would rather play Dan Hall at RB than Storm. I think Miller, if he works on his discipline can definately make the step up.

Wombat

Definite no to ROD( if going to sign a veteran striker Berisha the bastard fits the bill better).A bit undecided about Roux but probably not.Miller's defensive flaws ( poor positioning and haphazard tracking) can be largely corrected on the training paddock-that's what the club pays coaches for .He needs a lot of work on his defensive play but at 20 has time to learn how to play at RB.His attacking play needs fine tuning but he appears willing to go forward-needs to work hard on crosses and passing-ditto the training paddock.

I was often critical of Nigro last season but more so of his attacking play than his defending which was acceptable-he will find Popovic demanding but could blossom back at Victory.

Casella's departure is premature as I think with more game time he could develop into a handy wide player.Bouman's correct position in the team is a bit difficult to assess-not really a wide player,not really a true AM and not an out and out striker.However he can play all of these roles to a certain extent so a useful squad player to have.

Very good post Booney but its a definate NO on Roux for me.

pjennings

First XI - certain starters -

GK Birighitti
DF Rowles, Tongyik
MF Bozanic Stensness
AT Urena

Good news we have a good spine

First XI - possible starters

DF Miller, Hall
MF Nisbet
AT Simon

Bad news we have a long way to go

We need cover for Birighitti

Hall is good cover for the CBs and I would prefer him over Miller at RB. We need a LB. Ideally a LB and RB though I could live with Hall at RB

Nizz can cover most midfield positions but we are light on with quality wide ,midfielders/attackers. Muller in MF would be a good addition and is primarily a wide player. These two could start and then have academy players as cover

We need someone to support Marcos

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
How about grabbing Muzz again …him working off Marcos works for me …seeing as how he was playing in India and APIA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred