• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I feel it's worth pointing out in this thread in particular that when security at AAMI confiscated our megaphone yesterday, I'm told that Shaun was on the phone with stadium management pretty much straight away getting it sorted, might have been others involved as well. bikinigirl probably knows more than I do, but I think it means a lot to have the top executive of the club go in to bat for us like that. Great to see the club showing loyalty to the fans like that, so definitely a shoutout.

style_cafe

Just wondering if anyone has heard from ROY LAW?
I enjoyed his contributions but he hasn`t been around this season.
I hope all is well .

Forum Phoenix

I don't remember that Gull?

Just checked his most recent postings (back in August 2015) but nothing to suggest that he was upset at all.

Think all regarded him very highly on here, and can't remember any big dust ups with him? Hopefully he's just super busy and alls well.

Wombat

I don't think so Gull.
I don't think anyone ever had a run in with Roy.
He had a great eye for Football and didn't follow blindly.....when we were shite he would tell it as it was.
I hope he is well!!

pjennings

Mariners’ on-field woes not representative of strong growth off the pitch

IT might seem extraordinary that the team finishing bottom of the A-League is one of the few to turn even a modest profit.

But Central Coast Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp is adamant that the pain the club is going through on the pitch is part of a restructure that can make it sustainable for years to come.

If many people’s reaction to that might be incredulity, the level of detail in Mielekamp’s blueprint is convincing. It takes in incremental increases in crowds and memberships, population forecasts for Gosford, regular marquees and the hugely impressive centre of excellence complex at Tuggerah officially opened last week by Malcolm Turnbull.

It began when Mielekamp, a Coast local, came to the job from Western Sydney, with a painful realisation.

“What’s become obvious to us is that the on-field success and the style of play we’ve had has not been a successful business formula,” he said. “We’ve had the bunkered-down, siege mentality, but it doesn’t translate into big crowds or big corporate support. We need to find a business model that delivers those.

“The club’s been very focused historically on the next six or 12 months, not the seasons to come beyond that. We want to send the message that we’re battling for premium success, not just survival.

“Why we play football is to grow the community, that’s the core reason. The glory and prestige are all very nice, but it’s all ultimately about growing our community. As that grows it allows us to build the business - something we’ve been particularly poor at over the past few years - and that tips back into football and funds the club. We get a bigger membership base, more commercial leverage etc and that feeds back into football.”

As well as the business success of the centre of excellence, Mielekamp is also tying the club’s future to radical plans for Gosford city centre, with “$700 million of DAs that have been approved, including five skyscrapers”.

The Mariners are the only club with a minority of support in the 16-24 age bracket, he says, but those apartments will be filled with young professionals priced out of Sydney.

Also taken as a given is a substantial increase in the central grant from FFA’s TV deal. “We’ve got every confidence in David Gallop and the team at FFA to do that, to double it, and that’s crucial,” he said. “Every owner in every A-League club brings this up at every meeting. It just has to be delivered, there is no other option.”

Ultimately though, those potential fans and viewers have to be given something worth watching — the jury is out and a long way from a verdict on what this season under Tony Walmsley will translate into.

“The ingredients are there — (assistant coach) John Hutchinson plays a bring role in what he brings in terms of the history of the club, so we don’t lose that,” Mielekamp said.

“The development history of Tony is there, time and again, so I’ve got no reason to doubt our ability to deliver that.

“Yes, we’ve had a throw-caution-to-the-wind approach this season, but it’s more about the long-term development of our players and the type of football we want to play as a brand. An entertaining, risk-taking style, married with success, is a strong business model.

“In three years, we want to see the development of our players bearing in fruit. The new broadcast deal will be in its second year, and the new free to air network will really know how to maximise the league. All the metrics should change with that kind of FTA exposure. That becomes a game-changer for the club.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...h/news-story/07d9d8a373244d4de43dfef7af622330

pjennings

When someone is able to interpret this corporate double-speak, could they tell us what it means...

I suspect there was more than a touch of sarcasm in your comment but I'll have a go anyway.

“The club’s been very focused historically on the next six or 12 months, not the seasons to come beyond that. We want to send the message that we’re battling for premium success, not just survival.

This is a dig at previous management saying there was no long term plan. This from my point of view is more than a little harsh. Lyall Gorman had the vision of the COE to develop alternate revenue streams and Peter Turnbull bought into it in a big way. MC has taken that vision and with the new building will start to realise some of the alternate revenue while also avoiding outlays for rental for the Mariners' administration.

As well as the business success of the centre of excellence, Mielekamp is also tying the club’s future to radical plans for Gosford city centre, with “$700 million of DAs that have been approved, including five skyscrapers”.

The Mariners are the only club with a minority of support in the 16-24 age bracket, he says, but those apartments will be filled with young professionals priced out of Sydney.

The Mariners are hoping to tap into what is likely to be a changing demographic within the Gosford CBD. If they can tap into this market they tend to use a large proportion of their wage on discretionary spending. While selling a membership, tickets or merchandise is important the other area that the club is still pushing for is management rights to the stadium to get a slice of other match day income.

Also taken as a given is a substantial increase in the central grant from FFA’s TV deal.

An extra $2.6 million a year always comes in handy and in reality is the biggest potential game-changer.

“In three years, we want to see the development of our players bearing in fruit. The new broadcast deal will be in its second year, and the new free to air network will really know how to maximise the league. All the metrics should change with that kind of FTA exposure. That becomes a game-changer for the club.”

We will continue to be a development club but are hoping that crowds and ratings will be larger with FTA access on one of the commercial stations.

dibo

TBF, when we were talking about moving games, I argued for exactly this sort of strategy as an alternative. If you're going to run lean, run lean with kids and take us with you on the journey.

It's the key reason that I'm OK with this year, spoon and all.

We don't need the spoon, but we do need to consolidate and stabilise to ensure we have a future at all.

Getting to the next TV deal is essential. Leveraging the changing demographics (and championing the transformation of the region as our biggest national brand) is just smart business. Maybe see if a Meriton or similar wants to get on the front of the shirts?

Getting the eyes up and extending the horizon is what we need.

pjennings

Also taken as a given is a substantial increase in the central grant from FFA’s TV deal. “We’ve got every confidence in David Gallop and the team at FFA to do that, to double it, and that’s crucial,” he said. “Every owner in every A-League club brings this up at every meeting. It just has to be delivered, there is no other option.”

Hi Shaun

This is an item I am interested in. The current grant I believe is $2.6million. Your quote above seems to indicate that you are expecting it to go to $5.2 million with the doubling of the TV deal. My understanding of the CBA agreement is that 30% (of any increase) will go to the players (through the clubs).

This is my question. Has the FFA agreed only to the 30% increase. i.e. to cover an average salary cap of $3.4 million per year or have they committed to the higher $5.2million. From a Mariners point of view I would hope it was the latter, though I can see that the former would allow the FFA to give smaller grants to a possible national semi-pro second division.

FFC Mariner

Hi Shaun

COE question.

Will you increase the Mariners signage? With the trees having been cleared on Wyong Road (coming from Tuggerah) you have an opportunity to really yell the brand with big signage

Unless you looked, it is barely noticeable

Thanks

Shaun Mielekamp

Hi Shaun

This is an item I am interested in. The current grant I believe is $2.6million. Your quote above seems to indicate that you are expecting it to go to $5.2 million with the doubling of the TV deal. My understanding of the CBA agreement is that 30% (of any increase) will go to the players (through the clubs).

This is my question. Has the FFA agreed only to the 30% increase. i.e. to cover an average salary cap of $3.4 million per year or have they committed to the higher $5.2million. From a Mariners point of view I would hope it was the latter, though I can see that the former would allow the FFA to give smaller grants to a possible national semi-pro second division.
The TV broadcast deal, the Club grant and the salary cap are all three separate items even though they are intrinsically connected. The expectation is that the broadcast deal will double. Following that we do know that there is a commitment to players around the 30% of this heading towards the cap. To do this the grant would need to be increased and as to what level is a long way from being determined. Currently the grant from FFA to clubs is a fraction under the salary cap but it is above the floor for minimum spend. If I was to use another code for an example the NRL are working towards the grant being 130% of the salary cap allowing the difference for the club to operate ie: pay for coaches and admin costs.

This topic as it unfolds will be one of the most important ones for the long term future and success of the club and whilst today is all guess work as to how things will play out most scenarios paint a far brighter future for football across the country.

Shaun Mielekamp

Hi Shaun

COE question.

Will you increase the Mariners signage? With the trees having been cleared on Wyong Road (coming from Tuggerah) you have an opportunity to really yell the brand with big signage

Unless you looked, it is barely noticeable

Thanks
We do have plans for more signage to come including a street pylon sign. I don't have a firm timeline on production here and i am as keen as you are to get more branding happening here to showcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred