• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2011/2012 Player thread

cbowden9000

He is in Wellington at the moment training to get his fitness back up to scratch for next season (12/13) as far as I know.

Can confirm.

Where did you get that information from? It's 100% correct. Your source must be good.

He is good mates with Paul Ifill and is looking to join the Phoenix in 2012/13 as you said.

TysonP

Can confirm.

Where did you get that information from? It's 100% correct. Your source must be good.

He is good mates with Paul Ifill and is looking to join the Phoenix in 2012/13 as you said.

No one names their sources until they stop giving them information.

MrCelery

Musialik in limbo

BY JAMES GARDINER
06 Jul, 2011 12:00 AM

HE is a Beijing Olympian, has won two A-League titles and has played in the Asian Champions League, but at age 26 Stuart Musialik is without a club and facing an uncertain future.
Musialik was a casualty of the clean-out at Sydney FC after the Sky Blues' poor A-League campaign and was released at the end of the Asian Champions League.

Talks with the Central Coast Mariners, where he was hoping to reunite with 2008 Olyroos coach Graham Arnold, broke down due to salary cap restrictions.

Now with less than three months before the A-League season, he has returned to Newcastle, is training on his own and hoping that something materialises here or overseas.

"A-League clubs are either fully loaded or only have a minimum-wage spot left for an under-20 player," Musialik told the Newcastle Herald yesterday.

"I have a couple of people putting feelers out for me overseas, but there is nothing concrete in the pipeline.

"Europe is difficult because of the passport issues, but there are a couple of countries, Poland being one, that are a possibility.

"Asian leagues are in the in the middle of their season and you have to be lucky to find a club who is looking for a foreign player in your position. Most Asian clubs looking at Australians want strikers or big defenders.

"There may be some interest in the United Arab Emirates, which would be good, but at the moment I am in limbo."

After three years in Sydney, Musialik has leased out his apartment in Freshwater and moved in with his mother in Newcastle. He is living off his savings but is not under financial pressure.

"I have been back here about a fortnight," he said.

"The rent I get in Freshwater goes close to covering the mortgage. I'm not looking at getting a job at the moment. I would be useless at anything else."

Given his football resume, Musialik would have little problem securing a contract in the lesser leagues in South East Asia.

It is something he has considered, but for now he is holding out.

"Do you sign somewhere just for the sake of having a gig?" he said.

"Or do you hold off and hope that something comes through which you actually want to do.

"At this stage I'd rather hold off and sign with a club for the right reasons."

The Sky Blues did not progress past the group stage in the ACL. Sydney and Musialik's last game was a 2-1 loss to Kashima Antlers in Japan on May 10.

Since then the midfielder has been following a conditioning program and plans to start training with Northern NSW State League club Edgeworth next week.

Musialik played 68 A-League games in three seasons with the Sky Blues, highlighted by a win on penalties over Melbourne Victory in the 2009-10 grand final.

He won a championship with the Jets in 2007-08 and was arguably the Olyroos' best player at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

When Nathan Tinkler took over the Jets in September, one of his objectives was to promote home-grown players.

Musialik would love to return to the Jets, but they have an abundance of controlling midfielders in likely captain Kasey Wehrman and local products Ben Kantarovski and Jobe Wheelhouse.

"I just have to keep working hard and be ready when something comes up," Musialik said.

No ex-Bogan Scum players thanks. Ooops, nearly forgot, we've got Troy Hearfield.

Muppet

I have to say I do feel sorry for the guy in some respects. It's never good not having a job. This is why all young footballers should be learning a trade so that in hard times they have something to fall back on. I would suspect that he will have to head overseas to a lower league (Indonesia, Malaysia, Poland etc) to have any chance of continuing to play. Otherwise he may have to wait until an injury occurs in one of the squads and he gets called up as a replacement.

BTW glad Arnie didn't sign him.

Marquee

There would only be room for him if Wilko doesn't come back and we move Griff to CB. Still not sure I'd want him anyway.

marinermick

We have hit our salary cap for the first time in our history and this is evident with the depth we have.

The only way to sign any more players is if another player drops out.

Hutch and/or Wilko would certainly free up a fair bit of cap.

adz

Staff member
Is this Musialik thing an example of his agent fighting just a bit too hard and trying to get too much relative to the player's abilities, and then missing the boat and now has nothing?

shipwreck

Bizarre, this guy was all the rage back in the Olyroos days, my how the mighty have fallen.

I think its a sign of the improving strength of our competition, either that or an example of how injury really can kill/stall a career

Roy Law

A player who has lost his way; unless Wilko or Hutch move on then he won't be with the Mariners but if they do then Arnie is the manager to bring the best out of him. At his best he is a decent passer who keeps possession which fits in with Arnie's method of play.

dibo

He'd be a Hutch replacement if Hutch went OS. He's a tempo player who'll win possession and keep it for you. Those people who have a pathological hatred of sideways and backward passes would detest him, but I've got a hatred of mindlessly passing the ball forward even if it means coughing it straight up.

I'd only want him if Hutch was on the way out - Hutch bleeds yellow and blue, Musialik doesn't.

MrCelery

We have hit our salary cap for the first time in our history and this is evident with the depth we have.

The only way to sign any more players is if another player drops out.

Hutch and/or Wilko would certainly free up a fair bit of cap.

I thought marquees are outside the salary cap. Do we already have one?

ps. I have a pathological hatred of a player that NEVER passes forward. I don't hate Hutch, so does that mean he does pass forward sometimes? Or do I just compensate for the fact that the Scum fans hate his guts, which is a good thing!

Muppet

He'd be a Hutch replacement if Hutch went OS. He's a tempo player who'll win possession and keep it for you. Those people who have a pathological hatred of sideways and backward passes would detest him, but I've got a hatred of mindlessly passing the ball forward even if it means coughing it straight up.

I'd only want him if Hutch was on the way out - Hutch bleeds yellow and blue, Musialik doesn't.

I would not want him even if Hutch left. I agree that Hutch bleeds yellow and blue however I get the feeling his time may be up in the squad at the end of this season. I can't see him getting much game time given the players we have.

MagpieMariner

I put Musialik on the same rung as Bridge - can't stand either of them (their on-field persona of course, never met them so it's not personal). I'd hate to see either of them in yellow-n-navy, and on last year's performances I don't rate Musialik, we can do better.

midfielder

Jess Vanstrattan trials with Nix

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/5250574/Phoenix-trialists-inlcude-Vanstrattan

BaysideMariner

I was reading on another forum that the rumour is that Anthony Golec will finish the season with Sydney United and then sign with us. Has anyone heard anything else? I know he played in a trial did he?

Roy Law

If it is true then can only be for the youth team - they will have an interesting defence - Sainsbury, Gallagher and Golec in the line-up.

Wombat

I put Musialik on the same rung as Bridge - can't stand either of them (their on-field persona of course, never met them so it's not personal). I'd hate to see either of them in yellow-n-navy, and on last year's performances I don't rate Musialik, we can do better.

Agreed. Musialik is crap imho and no better than Hutcho, who probably is on alot less than bling were paying SM anyway.

I dont want to see him at BT. I would however take Antonis off Bling quite happily.

MrCelery

Musialik poised to join Central Coast
BY JAMES GARDINER
21 Jul, 2011 12:00 AM

NEWCASTLE-born midfielder Stuart Musialik is in negotiations with the Central Coast Mariners and could sign with last season's A-League grand finalists as early as today.

Musialik's career has been in limbo since he was released by Sydney FC at the end of their Asian Champions League campaign in May.

He leased out his apartment in Freshwater and moved home a month ago, and has been training with Northern NSW State League club Edgeworth to keep fit.

The 26-year-old met with Mariners coach Graham Arnold yesterday and is expected to be offered a one-year deal today.

Musialik played for the Olyroos under Arnold at the Beijing Olympics and has been keen to reunite with his former boss.

"I wasn't happy at Sydney, and I know I would enjoy my football under Arnie," Musialik told the Newcastle Herald last night.

"I know the style of football he likes to play and I think I could do a job for them."

Musialik had talks with the Mariners in February but they broke down due to salary cap restriction.

He is likely to have to take a pay cut but Musialik said "enjoying his football and the chance to develop his game" was more important.

"When I was in the Olyroos and here [Newcastle] under Gary van Egmond was when I was playing my best football," Musialik said.

Musialik was a part of the Jets squad that beat arch-rivals the Mariners 1-0 in the A-League grand final in 2007-08.

He also won a championship at Sydney two years ago.

The Mariners went down on penalties to the Brisbane Roar after leading 2-0 in one of the best grand finals of all time last year.

John Hutchinson, who is on loan to Chengdu Blades in China until October 30, and Rostyn Griffiths anchored the Mariners' midfield last season.

Meanwhile on the field, Vinny Faherty will head back to Victorian side Whittlesea today, but Jets coach Branko Culina will keep tabs on the Irish striker and has not ruled out a place for him in the squad.

The 24-year-old came off the bench and scored the Jets’ opening goal in a 2-1 win over Sutherland Sharks at a rain-soaked Seymour Shaw Park last night.

James Virgili broke free down the right flank and crossed for Faherty, who nipped in front of the defence and tucked the ball away.

‘‘He is not a marquee player, but he is definitely a goal scorer,’’ Culina said.

‘‘He reminds me a bit of Sasho Petrovski the way he gets into positions.

‘‘We’ll keep tabs on him and maybe there might be an opportunity down the track.’’

Former North Queensland and Sydney striker Chris Payne scored the Jets’ other goal in a match they controlled from the outset.

Brazilian defender Tiago made an impressive debut, although he didn’t have a great deal to do before he was replaced at half-time.

‘‘I’m not one to get carried away, but I have seen enough of him to know he is decent player,’’ Culina said.

Tiago partnered rookie Sam Galloway in the heart of the defence after Jobe Wheelhouse succumbed to a virus, forcing a reshuffle.

With Kasey Wehrman (ankle) and Ben Kantarovski (Young Socceroos) also unavailable, Taylor Regan pushed forward alongside Ruben Zadkovich in a makeshift midfield. Tarek Elrich wore the captain’s armband.

Rain fell throughout the match, but the synthetic pitch ensured the wet conditions did not impact greatly on ball movement, especially in the first half.

The Jets dominated the opening half hour but had nothing to show for it.

Jeremy Brockie played at the point of the attack but his radar was off and he missed four good opportunities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred