• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2011/2012 Player thread

cbowden9000

It really depends on how Arnie wants to play next season. He has already said that he played 4-4-2 narrow diamond because he had four central strikers and no speedy wingers.

Will he look to bring in some speed on the wings to give us the flexibility to change as needed?

I think he will. I think we'll end up seeing the Mariners play a 4-3-3 as that is the system Arnie would know best and be the best at teaching.

He could only do what he could with the players that were already here when he arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if over time we saw most, if not all, our current strikers move on and Arnie looks to replace them with some pacey wingers (as you said, Ollie could play LW with Perez moving to LCM).

With an extra-long off season expect a big Arnie revamping.

garlo

I just bought Josh kennedy and resigned dutchy for two years for my 11/12 season on FIFA ...just wanted everyone to know haha
When does the season start again with the fury gone

Muppet

Talking about speedy wingers If I am correct Baird is rather quick. I suspect Bernie will be on a full time contract with the seniors next season (Yay!!) and McBreen will warm the pines. To set the cat amongst the pigeons why not put Jose Rose on the left wing. He has pace and used to play as a striker!!

It is so hard to know where we need to recruit for after such a successful season.

Bladesman

I think he will. I think we'll end up seeing the Mariners play a 4-3-3 as that is the system Arnie would know best and be the best at teaching.

He could only do what he could with the players that were already here when he arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if over time we saw most, if not all, our current strikers move on and Arnie looks to replace them with some pacey wingers (as you said, Ollie could play LW with Perez moving to LCM).

Arnie said as much in the interview of fox sports FC before the grand final. When asked about playing the 4 - 3 - 3 he said he couldn't with the squad he had when he joined as he had 4 strikers and was lacking the wingers. I would say Ollie was brought in on the potential of being one of the forward 3 as mentioned also WeeMac would probvably also work but we would need to boost the midfiled reserves first to allow that to occur.

cbowden9000

Arnie has turned McGlinchey into a winger now and he has the attributes to be one. We could be playing a 4-3-3 right now like this:

--------------Ryan--------------
-Pedj-Wilko-Dutchy-Rose-
------------Griffiths------------
-------Perez-----Hutch-------
-Glinch----Simon-----Ollie-

Woodsy

Im sure we all have different opinions about what players we would like to see in the mix next season but take a look at the successful year we have just had with the team we have got. Once the boys got their form together we were definately a side with talent and ability in most areas on the park. We were strong at the back and the mids did their jobs well i thought. I think many can agree that we definately had games where we just found it hard to find the back of the net.Given that Perez comes back injury free and gets more game time and Bernie gets into the starting line up and the boys work on their finishing touches during the off season i think we will come back stronger than ever...

Bladesman

Arnie has turned McGlinchey into a winger now and he has the attributes to be one. We could be playing a 4-3-3 right now like this:

-Pedj-Wilko-Dutchy-Rose-
-------Perez-----Hutch-------

Great point although with that line up I suspect it would be more

-Pedj-Wilko-Dutchy-Rose-
----Grffiths----Hutch--------
-----------Perez----------

Or keeping the same formation I would go

-Pedj-Wilko-Dutchy-Rose-
-------Perez-----Armini-------

Roy Law

We regularly switched to 4-3-3 later in the season with Perez/ Amini pushing right up to the front line; the middle three were McGlinchey, Griffiths, Bozanic

Bladesman

We certainly defended in that style the last few games with Perez in particular being pushed in to the forward line, but in terms of playing it from an attacking sense we didn't really play with 1 forward and the 2 wingers usually associated with the formation.

pjennings

How much revamping can he do. I thought I heard that Bernie had signed a senior contract. If he has then I think we are up to 21 players.

Ryan-----------2013
Pasfield-------2013
Rose-----------2012
Zwaanswijk--2012
Wilkinson-----2013
Gallagher-----2012
Sainsbury-----2012
Bojic----------2012
Hearfield-----2013
Griffiths-----2012
Hutchinson----2013
Perez----------2012
Amini----------2012
McGlinchey----2012
Porter---------2012
Bozanic-------2013
Kwasnik-------2013
Simon----------2012
McBreen--------2012
Baird----------2012
Ibini-Isei----2013

My main concern assuming a squad of 22 would be someone that could cover for LB if Josh got injured and also cover for Olly's absences next year.

After that any revamping will need to be as a response to people moving on.

cbowden9000

Don't expect all these players to remain just because they're contracted. Don't forget how easy it is to sell players to Indonesia etc.

yellowcake

... we were definitely a side with talent and ability in most areas on the park. We were strong at the back and the mids did their jobs well i thought...

I agree, so a great clinical striker and a artful poacher would ice the cake (and I guess if we'd had that this year and in 2006 and 2008 we might have 3 championships now).

Just not sure that any amount of working on this in the off season will produce this - I can't imagine that all input possible was not given to out current strikers this year but percentage finishing of guilt-edge chances stayed pretty low. I think it's a gift or instinct, not so much a trainable skill.

Bernie might be part of the answer because he's young and developing. How he and Duke looked in the Round 29 game against GCU was close.

Not saying there's no place for bustling forwards, such as making space for midfielders. Just can't expect them to finish everything.

yellowcake

I might add, I'm stoked that so much of this year's squad is here next year.

There were many examples, particularly since January of the best football I've ever seen from our guys. My feeling after the 2006 and 2008 GFs was of blowing a rare chance. This time I feel like we could well win the double next year.

dibo

On the 4-3-3, it's far more likely we'd play two screening midfielders (two sixes rather than two tens), Hutch alongside Griffiths, behind a ten - Amini or Perez or even McBreen.

Roy Law

On 4-3-3; the World U19s used Kantarovski and Grant as screens and Amini as the attacker but several time this year Arnie used McGlinchey and Bozanic in a flat three with only Griff as the screener; can't see him using Hutch and Griffiths together.

dibo

That's got more to do with what's in front. The 4-1-3-2 or diamond 4-4-2 are options for when you don't have genuine wide forwards. If we get some wide options (or use the off-season to convert a couple of players) you'll see us move to a true 4-3-3.

The two screens encourage width in attack by freeing up the 2 and 5 and depending on what they're doing, one of the 6s can be a later, deeper option in attack.

cbowden9000

Will we be looking for an AFC visa player now that we've qualified for the ACL? It's a 3+1 rule so we've got:

1) Zwaanswijk
2) Perez
3) McGlinchey

+

1) Foreign AFC player.

Any ideas for who we should be looking at as the Mariners first ever Asian import?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred