• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2011/2012 Player thread

tsd

the key to signing players in a smaller club like ours is a lot like working the stock exchange... buy low, sell high!

I think this has been arnolds intentions with all his latest signings, no big names, just cheap players that have showed some promise in the under 23's but havent really set the world on fire yet...

pasfield, baird and now Hearfield all fit that bill, lets just see if their stocks go up!

Wombat

McBreen still has 1 year left, the only way he will leave is if another club is interested and he agrees to terms so Mariners can release him. Kwasnik however I believe may have agreed to terms for a further 2 seasons.

TBH after seeing the two boys from Yoof i'd probably cut Kwassie loose even though this has been his best season.

Ancient Mariner

TBH after seeing the two boys from Yoof i'd probably cut Kwassie loose even though this has been his best season.

Mate you would have been happy to let Kwassie go no matter what the youngsters did.

Remember "One swallow does not a summer make"

If you were going on form of that one game, you would be happy to sign up Hutch and McBreen for another three years.
:eek:verhead:

Wombat

Mate you would have been happy to let Kwassie go no matter what the youngsters did.

Remember "One swallow does not a summer make"

If you were going on form of that one game, you would be happy to sign up Hutch and McBreen for another three years.
:eek:verhead:

Haha, you are probably right. Kwassie has won me over a bit this year and is useful when he comes of the bench but he can also be completely dire at times.

The two Yoof strikers look to have more potential that Kwas but I guess Kwas has a certain amount of runs on the board.

As for Hutcho and McBreen. I'd keep them both in the squad on reduced contracts (in a perfect world) as they are capable understudies but I dont see either player as first choice starting 11.

Ancient Mariner

Haha, you are probably right. Kwassie has won me over a bit this year and is useful when he comes of the bench but he can also be completely dire at times.

The two Yoof strikers look to have more potential that Kwas but I guess Kwas has a certain amount of runs on the board.

As for Hutcho and McBreen. I'd keep them both in the squad on reduced contracts (in a perfect world) as they are capable understudies but I dont see either player as first choice starting 11.

Kwasi also showed amazing potential in his youth. He has shown glimpses of it this year.

It is always interesting to see who is playing each game, Kwasildinho or Kwasimodo.

Never a dull moment. :piralaugh:

pjennings

With Doig likely not to be renewed (he really should be getting gane time somewhere) is Brent Griffiths an option alongside Gallagher for CB cover.

He has been released by Perth and only played less than 500 minutes for the season. He is Rostyn's younger brother. Has anyone seen him play?

Alternatively - is there any good CB cover coming thru our NYL team?

Wombat

Is Doig on big bucks? Whats the problem?

I have never seen him put in a bad shift for us and sooner or later we will get an injury,

He is quality cover and arguably at least as good as Wilko.

Sign him up for another season please!

pjennings

Is Doig on big bucks? Whats the problem?

I have never seen him put in a bad shift for us and sooner or later we will get an injury,

He is quality cover and arguably at least as good as Wilko.

Sign him up for another season please!

I think he is good cover as well. However, reports are that he is unhappy with the lack of game time. TBH, it is a pretty tough ask to push out Dutchy or our captain. He would get into many squads starting line-ups. If he wanted to stay I would keep him - but I suspect he wants to go.

The other consideration is the number of foreign players is being cut by one. I suspect GA will want to leave a foreign spot open as he did this year to give himself options if he needs to strengthen the squad.

Forum Phoenix

MMMmmmmm, speaking of that foreign spot, you know I actually think we should be scouting for a Korean or Japanese striker.

Hear me out...

He doesn't have to be anything outstanding (We couldn't afford it) or a wizard on the ball, but really just to have someone with that refined clinical technique that they can consistently strike a ball well and accurately would be of huge benefit to our side in the front third I think. Also good for Weemac and Olly to train alongside.

Throw in decent ball control, a sharp turning circle, quick over the first ten and a good work rate and we would have the perfect player to work off Matty. VanDji's and Smeltz - the HALS two best strikers, are not incredible on the ball, or truly that special, but they are far more technically clinical and thereby effective than the bulk of HAL strikers. Japan or Korea would seem a good place to find such a player to me.
:popcorn:

Roy Law

Haven't seen any Koreans playing in the A League that have impressed me, the best was Song but he just went round in circles and couldn't shoot - in fact most Japanese and Koreans can't. Technically skilful but...
Kewdos for thinking outside the box.
As for Doig, I think it would be good if he stayed, he's been very professional about his situation; we've been remarkably forunate injury wise and he hasn't had opportunity to play as much as he would like, esp with the added irony that Doig himself seems to have had an injury-free season. However, despite runours, unless contracted players leave we have very little wriggle room to make new signings and so Doig may have to be released just to create salary cap space.

elevated position

It would be silly to let a now fit doig go. he will come cheaper and who said dutchy was staying?
But an option could be to put griffiths at cb

pjennings in yoof there is one alex manseuto who is showing a lot of promise, maybe(?) a bit too soon for him though.

Forum Phoenix

Haven't seen any Koreans playing in the A League that have impressed me, the best was Song but he just went round in circles and couldn't shoot - in fact most Japanese and Koreans can't. Technically skilful but...
Kewdos for thinking outside the box.
As for Doig, I think it would be good if he stayed, he's been very professional about his situation; we've been remarkably forunate injury wise and he hasn't had opportunity to play as much as he would like, esp with the added irony that Doig himself seems to have had an injury-free season. However, despite runours, unless contracted players leave we have very little wriggle room to make new signings and so Doig may have to be released just to create salary cap space.

I've really only watched J and K league players via ACL and internationals. (Excluding the obvious stars) So i'm obviously not well enough informed, but they have seemed from my viewings "generally speaking" of a more skilled technical nature - so I thought there must surely be some fairly clinical finishers kicking around...?

I know there's often been talk around the Japanese national team re poor striker stocks... But I was thinking on a more domestic level we might be able to pull someone of proven quality from J2...

But no, I have not seen anyone to impress in the A league as yet - though to be fair, the recruits have tended to be more of the squad player ilk and not larger more targeted signings if you know what I mean...

kevrenor

Jakarata Casual Blogspot today
(Indonesia)

"Following the high profile signing of Malaysian national team striker Safee Sali, Pelita Jaya are now thought to be hot on the heels of Scottish defender Christopher Doig, currently with A League side Central Coast Mariners.
Doig, who turned 30 last week, represented Scotland Under 21s about a decade ago and has also played for Queen of the South (who are actually a football team and not a Twitter account), Nottingham Forest and Northampton Town.
If this deal comes off, and coupled with Safee's arrival, it represents a serious invest in Pelita Jaya, something that hasn't happened for many a year. Indeed in recent years some cruel folk, not me I might add, have taken to calling them Zanussi"

Marquee

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest about Doig. He's wanted out for a while now but Arnie wouldn't let him go before the end of the season. I'd like to keep him but he won't be content with another year on the bench.

midfielder

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest about Doig. He's wanted out for a while now but Arnie wouldn't let him go before the end of the season. I'd like to keep him but he won't be content with another year on the bench.

Should free up the cap a bit to help sign some of the youth players into the main squad...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred