• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The EPL thread

marinermick

serious14 said:
F*ck me Liverpool, you just had your arses shaved.....

These 4-4 games have got to stop, my heart cannot take it anymore!!! :p

loss or draw - either way it pretty much means you guys win the premiership

serious14

It makes our chances more likely, but our next two games are Pompey and the Yids.  Spurs have been in good form lately and might make a decent show of it, but I'm terrified about the Pompey game.  No matter how good or shit their season is at the time, they always f*ck us up somehow.

FFC Mariner

Pompey kindly rolled over for us at the end of last season, you never know, if they know they are safe they might not be too bothered

Auburn Mariner

Have just watched the replay of the second best EPL game I've seen; the best was "COLLYMORRRRE". Sorry, Toon Army.

Jeez, when do the Scouse give up? Even if they don't win this year (remember, we have Pompey, Spurs AND ARSENAL to come), they will win an EPL soon.

serious14

David Votoupal said:
serious14 said:
F*ck me Liverpool, you just had your arses shaved.....

These 4-4 games have got to stop, my heart cannot take it anymore!!! :p

Aren't Mariners fans used to those games when Sydney come to down? :p ;)

As much as you think I would be, the thrill and epic nature of such games never ceases to amaze and cause palpitations..... read any page in here of a game when I've been posting and it ends up with a stupid scoreline - the two best examples I can think of (funnily enough) are the 4-4's between Arse/Spurs earlier in the season, and Chelsea/Liverpool from a few weeks ago. It starts of as "holy shit, this is amazing", but by about 3-3 I'm in nervous anxious "this is batshit crazy" mode, and when it ends up as something as stupid as 4-4 I just give up and go and lie down. :p

David Votoupal

Auburn Mariner said:
Have just watched the replay of the second best EPL game I've seen; the best was "COLLYMORRRRE". Sorry, Toon Army.

Jeez, when do the Scouse give up? Even if they don't win this year (remember, we have Pompey, Spurs AND ARSENAL to come), they will win an EPL soon.

Well that's one of the beefs I have, today people tend to overrate the current crop of footballers and teams to death like they're the best thing since sliced bread, when previous generations were at least as good and sometimes better.

Auburn Mariner

2-0 to United, took care of business.

0-0 between the Toffees and Spartak Chel$ki.

David, having actually lived through the 70's and 80's, when Liverpool & Forest were superb and England produced Lampard Snr, Bonds, Brooking, etc, I must disagree.

The influx of European and South American players into the current EPL makes the standard of play outstanding. Look at the only fair way of judging the EPL, the European Cup, and there are three, that would be 1-2-3 English teams in the Final Four, along with a Barcelona team containing Lionel Messi, Thierry Henry and Samuel Eto'o.

There is no Inter, no Real, no Bayern. Manchester United went to Porto and won (yes, it's a big deal), Liverpool won a European Cup against AC from 3-0 down.

Granted, there are probably too many sides in the EPL (I reckon 14-16 would be great), leading to some mediocrity, but to question the quality of today's players is flawed. The 1970's-80's Liverpool side would be at the top of any era, but give me any good side from today's Top 10 (West Ham, Fulham, Tottenham Hotspur) and I would be MORE than happy to have them up against any side you care to dredge up.

Sym

battle of the super minds !!! :)

rawr fookin' crossbar and teams refusing to play attacking football away from home.

Two nil alls in the league between Everton and Chelsea...hope the FA Cup final is a bit more open.

scottmac

Suspended
Sym said:
battle of the super minds !!! :)

rawr fookin' crossbar and teams refusing to play attacking football away from home.

Two nil alls in the league between Everton and Chelsea...hope the FA Cup final is a bit more open.

Refusing my arse, we had the better chances (I was dissapointed we didn't get all 3 points) and we played to our limitations.
Just smart football.

If the pitch wasn't so slippery (drenched before kickoff) there would have been goals. Stupid chelski ground manager.

Look for repeat performance on 30th may unless wembly surface improves.

Sym

oh come on, all bias aside, most was just hack upfield and hope to hit one of Jo's 18ft long limbs

Lucky to get a point in the end, last minute skill from Drogba so nearly a goal

scottmac

Suspended
Sym said:
oh come on, all bias aside, most was just hack upfield and hope to hit one of Jo's 18ft long limbs

Lucky to get a point in the end, last minute skill from Drogba so nearly a goal

like i said, we played to our limitations.

You were lucky that you weren't already 2 down by the time dive boy finally got a shot off.

Arabmariner

Auburn Mariner said:
David, having actually lived through the 70's and 80's, when Liverpool & Forest were superb and England produced Lampard Snr, Bonds, Brooking, etc, I must disagree.

The influx of European and South American players into the current EPL makes the standard of play outstanding. Look at the only fair way of judging the EPL, the European Cup, and there are three, that would be 1-2-3 English teams in the Final Four, along with a Barcelona team containing Lionel Messi, Thierry Henry and Samuel Eto'o.

There is no Inter, no Real, no Bayern. Manchester United went to Porto and won (yes, it's a big deal), Liverpool won a European Cup against AC from 3-0 down.

Granted, there are probably too many sides in the EPL (I reckon 14-16 would be great), leading to some mediocrity, but to question the quality of today's players is flawed. The 1970's-80's Liverpool side would be at the top of any era, but give me any good side from today's Top 10 (West Ham, Fulham, Tottenham Hotspur) and I would be MORE than happy to have them up against any side you care to dredge up.
I don't question the quality of the top four today.

However I do think the old first division was just as good and it was more competitive.Yes Liverpool dominated a fair bit but they built those sides with the product of their youth teams and some bargain buys (as opposed to some Russian buying a championship).

The present Premier league can only be won by 1 of 4 teams.Since the Premier league started there have only been  4 winners.In the previous 20 odd years we had 7 different winners and that included the dominant Liverpool teams who won 10 of them.We had teams like Leeds,Derby, Forest,Everton and Villa winning the odd title.The list of runners-up and 3rd place finishers has teams like Ipswich,QPR,WBA, Watford,Palace,Sheff Wed, Southampton etc.

Between the seasons 1974-75 and 1984-85 (Heysel)English clubs apeared in 9 European cup finals, winning 7 of them.Then the ban of course or there would probably have been more.

No sign of Manure or the Russian cockneys during this period.And not much sign of Barca or Real either.

I had a lot more respect for the top English teams then because they dominated Europe and were home grown.

Todays top 4 ? Great football teams no doubt but no better imo than the top English teams in the 70's and 80's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred