• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

More relocation chat/brawling

pjennings

as AM has been stating . we don't have a side without MC .
his communication skills may not be cutting the mustard.so maybe the time has to be taken to
ask him ,"what can we do to keep our side on the coast. " and " how can we help you (MA) to cut your loses"

Firstly, the problem seems to be that the garbled message from MC (not from his interim GM) is that we may not have a side with MC.

Secondly MC said at the post GF parade that the Mariners were going nowhere but staying on the Coast. Then we got the story that we needed 5000 members - we're currently over 5,600. Then we got told that we would need more than a 10,000 average. We are currently ahead of this and were probably expecting around 11,000-11,500 given 6 NSW home games and NYE and hopefully a better run with the weather than last year. However, the constant damaging talk from our owner (the only self-fulfilling doom and gloom speculation) may undermine this.

MC had a load of goodwill from the Coast supporters at the post GF parade. Rather than we asking him how can we help him cut his losses maybe the should be asking us how he can grow his business on the coast and how can we help him to do that.

bilo

Firstly, the problem seems to be that the garbled message from MC (not from his interim GM) is that we may not have a side with MC.

Secondly MC said at the post GF parade that the Mariners were going nowhere but staying on the Coast. Then we got the story that we needed 5000 members - we're currently over 5,600. Then we got told that we would need more than a 10,000 average. We are currently ahead of this and were probably expecting around 11,000-11,500 given 6 NSW home games and NYE and hopefully a better run with the weather than last year. However, the constant damaging talk from our owner (the only self-fulfilling doom and gloom speculation) may undermine this.

MC had a load of goodwill from the Coast supporters at the post GF parade. Rather than we asking him how can we help him cut his losses maybe the should be asking us how he can grow his business on the coast and how can we help him to do that.
The sooner MC decides he has finished playing with this club the better. It will happen. He will run out of money like his predecessor and then the club can be run properly for the good of the central coast. There are people waiting in the wings for this to happen.

Remember PT got into trouble and had to hand it to MC as he was the only one who would take the whole package (COE and the FC). There are those that would take the FC tomorrow but not while it is tied to the COE. I give MC 18 months if that and then he will need to walk away. The question is by then whether he will have done too much damage to the brand on the central coast.

true believer

as western suburbs supporter as AM being an old bears supporter .
I guess we've seen it before , 1st hand .
nothing im hearing in here . makes me think my ccm shirt won't be parked next to my magpie shirts.

true believer

The sooner MC decides he has finished playing with this club the better. It will happen. He will run out of money like his predecessor and then the club can be run properly for the good of the central coast. There are people waiting in the wings for this to happen.

yeah mate just like singo and wests , singo and newtown , singo and lawire

bilo

as western suburbs supporter as AM being an old bears supporter .
I guess we've seen it before , 1st hand .
nothing im hearing in here . makes me think my ccm shirt won't be parked next to my magpie shirts.

There is a good chance this will happen if this guy continues. The goodwill with people of the coast is rapidly decreasing.

Gratis

only a partially relevant thread for this but plenty of talking points:
Central Coast Mariners try to
navigate way out of danger after
hitting choppy waters

The Central Coast Mariners' title defence looked to
have begun all too smoothly. Their disciplined defence
and free-flowing possession-based attack of last
season carried into their first game and, when Mitchell
Duke scored to give them a deserved lead against
Western Sydney Wanderers in round one, another
successful year appeared a certainty. But a late
equaliser by Tomi Juric dashed hopes of a winning
start and provided a snapshot of the rocky road that
was to come.
Four games later and their inspirational coach, Graham
Arnold, left for Japan along with the highly regarded
conditioning coach Andrew Clark. As the club was still
reeling from that loss, former chairman, chief executive
and majority owner Peter Turnbull was relieved of his
post, leaving new owner Mike Charlesworth the sole
decision maker and, in the space of six months, the
most tactically advanced team in the competition had
slumped to one of the most inconsistent performers.
Sitting in sixth place approaching the halfway stage of
the season is an unusual situation for a club that has
spent three seasons hovering around the summit of the
A-League. Despite the unease, those who are part of
the Mariners' framework are not surprised to see the
class of 2013-14 struggling to replicate the feats of
those before.
Advertisement
''It was just two different teams,'' captain John
Hutchinson said. ''We lost a lot of players in the off-
season and, if you take away the amount of players we
lost, we were going to find it hard to defend the title.''
The defensive midfielder has been at the club since its
inception and is one of just two players who have
witnessed their gradual transformation from minnows to
champions. There is a belief within the camp that eight
years of labour - three under Arnold's tutelage - forged
last season's team into the competition's best and
there was an air of invincibility about them.
''We were so confident we would win games, it was an
eerie feeling,'' coach Phil Moss said.
A nosedive back into mediocrity followed, with the
departure of five players who started in the 2013 grand
final as well as Arnold.
''We believe that last year we were one of the best
team's the A-League has ever seen,'' Hutchinson said.
''When we lost all those players and the coach got a
great offer from Japan that he couldn't refuse, the
fitness coach goes away and he also takes what I
would say is the best player in the league, Mike
McGlinchey, we were up against it.''
The turbulence did not end with the playing and
coaching staff. After six years as an investor, three of
which as a majority owner and chairman, Turnbull was
dismissed by Charlesworth. The club he helped forge
was out of his hands and, while the finances were in a
more secure state, a new era of turmoil began. Talk of
a partial relocation to North Sydney Oval surfaced and
were promoted by the owner himself.
''Now that Mike's in charge, he has to mould the club
to a sustainable form that Mike's happy with and that
might take a bit of pain and time but, at the end of the
day, Mike's put the money in and he has to have the
freedom to do what he [sees] fit,'' Turnbull said.
The club had registered a record of more than 5600
members after breaking its grand final hoodoo but that
was not enough to convince Charlesworth that the club
had a permanent and viable future on the Central Coast
alone. With a supporter base in limbo as a result of
plans to move games away from the club's spiritual
base, and a new board likely to feature representation
from Sydney's Northern Suburbs Football Association,
there are fears that the Mariners could be facing an end
of an era.
''It will be a shame if the foundations that created a
club that was envied around the country isn't
maintained,'' Turnbull said.
''We showed how it could be done with such a small
budget that it would be a shame if those weren't
honoured.''
Players and coaching staff put on a brave face when
forced to discuss plans to move games away from
Gosford but it is understood that the prospect of
insurrection disrupted on-field performances.
The Mariners have not put in a consistent 90-minute
performance this season. There remains a degree of
conviction that the fighting spirit of the league's
smallest club remains while so many key figures have
not. The opening day of the Mariners' title defence
ended in a stalemate and, despite the drama and
upheaval that has occurred at the club since, there is
still a belief that this season, unlike that promising day,
will not end in a blank.
''Coaches, players and chairmen come and go but the
club remains and the team remains,'' Moss said.
''We're not looking for any excuses and we're not
looking for any sympathy. We've got the quality, it's in
the dressing room, the structures are in place but it's
just a matter of everyone performing to the best of their
ability to bring back the consistency and
performances.''

smh.com.au/sport/soccer/central-coast-mariners-try-to-navigate-way-out-of-danger-after-hitting-choppy-waters-20131227-2zzlx.html

Gratis

also this article on mariners crowds smh.com.au/sport/soccer/central-coast-community-must-shape-up-or-mariners-could-ship-out-20131229-301tc.html .

I mainly enjoyed the comment after it from this poster:

"Maybe CCM could go to Perth? No wait! their crowds
are lower. Take over Heart? crowds lower. Play in
Adelaide? No, crowds are smaller. Cross the Tasman?
No, their crowds are lower too. CCM have consistently
made the final series in terms of crowds and yet the
crowds they have are constantly attacked. Maybe its
the lack of growth over the last few seasons? Nope,
they have been steadily growing too. Perhaps its that
the team doesn't add anything to the competition?
Well they have been pretty successful over the years
and have been a benchmark team for the last 3
seasons so that can't really be it. They also have
developed other income streams other than the team,
have developed their own junior development program
and are involved with the only football based school
in the country.
No, I can see why everyone chooses to single out
CCM for criticism."

Bladesman

T
also this article on mariners crowds smh.com.au/sport/soccer/central-coast-community-must-shape-up-or-mariners-could-ship-out-20131229-301tc.html .

I mainly enjoyed the comment after it from this poster:

"Maybe CCM could go to Perth? No wait! their crowds
are lower. Take over Heart? crowds lower. Play in
Adelaide? No, crowds are smaller. Cross the Tasman?
No, their crowds are lower too. CCM have consistently
made the final series in terms of crowds and yet the
crowds they have are constantly attacked. Maybe its
the lack of growth over the last few seasons? Nope,
they have been steadily growing too. Perhaps its that
the team doesn't add anything to the competition?
Well they have been pretty successful over the years
and have been a benchmark team for the last 3
seasons so that can't really be it. They also have
developed other income streams other than the team,
have developed their own junior development program
and are involved with the only football based school
in the country.
No, I can see why everyone chooses to single out
CCM for criticism."

To be fair the article actually makes a few good points, whilst the crowds may be good in proportion to our population couple this with a lot less corporate $ than those with lower crowds mentioned that is where part of the problem lies. Also given the position with the negotiations with the council around fees then MC is doing what most good business people would do, trying to negotiate the best price by talking about how he can't afford to keep the team here.

We have already seen that the FFA will only step in to help the teams in major centres survive but given the TV contract they can't afford to let another team die but certainly a move to the North Shore given the success of WSW or Canberra where you would attract sponsorship $ for people wanting to get front of mind with the pollies are certainly possibilities.

Without the crowds or significant increase in revenue I do think there may be a chance of relocation, would be nice for the FFA to come out and say the coast is a permanent fixture but don't think that would make sense given the current negotiations with the council.

bikinigirl

To be fair the article actually makes a few good points, whilst the crowds may be good in proportion to our population couple this with a lot less corporate $ than those with lower crowds mentioned that is where part of the problem lies. Also given the position with the negotiations with the council around fees then MC is doing what most good business people would do, trying to negotiate the best price by talking about how he can't afford to keep the team here.

. i still can't see how it is good business ... he is not doing what good business people would do. he is squabbling over minor operating costs in public and his customers are turning away because his twisted logic doesn't make sense to them

. the comments raise more sensible questions than the article

nikko

Suspended
How many pet memberships and 6/3 game memberships are included in the 6,500 members?

Only had 10,500 punters to the Sydney FC game at home. Do you thinks more punters will rock up when the ticket for a GA is $30? This price needs to be $20.

pjennings

Let's put things into perspective

Only 2 people in authority have set targets in regards to the Mariners. Frank Lowy said before the first season that the HAL should have a target of 10,000 (not each club). This target was met straight away. The second was Mike Charlesworth. He said he needed 5,000 memberships. This has been achieved, The second was that he wanted to average 10,000 - something that the Mariners are tracking well ahead of given the quality of games remaining. In fact if we got the same crowds as we did last year when we had some appalling not and appalling wet weather we will average a touch over an 11,000 average crowd

If the 11,000 is achieved (very likely without negative press) the Mariners crowds would have increased 48% over 5 years. If that same trajectory continues then it will only be 3 or 4 years before an average of 15,000 could be attained. This is the upside we should be chasing - poor crowds are a mirage that only seems to follow poor press. We should be building - not tearing down.

midfielder

I guess I am what is termed rusted on hard core.

I am reaching the stage after 8 seasons of money from hal 2 when Singo
saved LM ..

At some point you rearch a stage when you say I am past it over it..

If I am free that day and a match is on I will go....

What can you do ..
Seems not to hear folk like me so MC good luck and I hope you are a success

Bladesman

. i still can't see how it is good business ... he is not doing what good business people would do. he is squabbling over minor operating costs in public and his customers are turning away because his twisted logic doesn't make sense to them

. the comments raise more sensible questions than the article

Are his customers turning away? Crowd figures suggest probably not as they are pretty similar to last season. New ones do not seem to be turning up though. Now you could keep spending hoping to attract new fans to or you could try and lower your cost base to be able to survive on what you have.

Guess we won't know which strategy is good business until we see where the team is based in the next couple of years. You only have to look around England to see the disaster that has met the clubs that speculated and didn't get the returns in terms of success or fans and there is a lot more TV and advertising $ there. Without a billionaire prepared to subsides the clubs there are lots of chairman like Turnbull and Mike who can't afford to keep running their clubs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred