• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

More relocation chat/brawling

bikinigirl

Are his customers turning away? Crowd figures suggest probably not as they are pretty similar to last season. New ones do not seem to be turning up though.

. well considering this talk is about relocation - yes, his customers have turned away ... plenty didn't go to north sydney that would have gone to the game on the coast. but we will never know the true value or cost of that game

. circumstantial evidence would indicate that the crowd numbers were lower against sydney (and tonight?) than they would otherwise have been if there was not all this talk of relocation. i readily accept that our average crowds numbers are ok ... but for some reason that is not the issue

. incidentally tonight i was talking to a member from the lower central coast (north shore) who didn't attend the game at north sydney because it is a pain to get to, the stands are crap and the pitch is terrible ... and he has been coming to every game at gosford for as long as i can remember

Ancient Mariner

. well considering this talk is about relocation - yes, his customers have turned away ... plenty didn't go to north sydney that would have gone to the game on the coast. but we will never know the true value or cost of that game

. circumstantial evidence would indicate that the crowd numbers were lower against sydney (and tonight?) than they would otherwise have been if there was not all this talk of relocation. i readily accept that our average crowds numbers are ok ... but for some reason that is not the issue

. incidentally tonight i was talking to a member from the lower central coast (north shore) who didn't attend the game at north sydney because it is a pain to get to, the stands are crap and the pitch is terrible ... and he has been coming to every game at gosford for as long as i can remember

No one, apart from some on this forum, is suggesting relocation.

MC is not talking relocation, the club is not relocating. There has been one game at NSO with the possibility of a couple more next year.

CCM is staying on the Coast.

To keep posting about relocation is just building a straw man.

Then saying all the talk of relocation is damaging the crowds is hiding from, and ignoring, the real problems.

What will damage crowds is the ordinary football (like tonight) that has been dished up this year, following the great play last year.

Ancient Mariner

MC is not talking relocation, the club is not relocating. There has been one game at NSO with the possibility of a couple more next year.

To keep posting about relocation and then saying all the talk of relocation is damaging the crowds makes me think some here want it to become self fulfilling.

What will damage crowds is the shit football (like tonight) that has been dished up this year.
I think this deserves its own thread; Simon Fisher from the Yellow Army interviewed Mariners Acting GM, Tracy Southern, and covered the North Sydney drama, stadium rights, and touched on some of the financial aspects of the club.

https://soundcloud.com/yellowarmypodcast/yellow-army-podcast-episode-7

I've typed it out as best I could...

Regarding North Sydney

A fan boycott of the game?

A little bit of a target for Bluetongue games...

Poor crowd on Friday

Back on North Sydney

About difficulties the club face, and how they communicate them with fans

And finally, stadium rights

It's a great interview, have a listen if you get a minute.

Any thoughts on all that?

Bump

bikinigirl

. c'mon ancient that is bullshit ... every second article published about the mariners talks about us relocating (slightly exaggerated for impact)

. quoting a podcast from a stand-in GM where she stated that they're still considering how many games they would play at north sydney next year does not ease talk of relocation (partial or otherwise). especially when that podcast is only listened to by a few dozen die-hards anyway. the mass media is where these 'rumours' are being spread, not on this forum ... and the club is simply not doing enough to dispel the 'rumours'

. talk on here about relocation can only be self-fulfilling if those that post and read this forum act that way and i have seen none of that (the nso game excluded). what i have seen is pleading from the fans to be listened to and to get a clear message from the club

. i have had a number of people (who know my passion for the mariners) ask me questions or make statements like:
  • why are they moving to north sydney?
  • i read in the paper the mariners are moving
... this from people who are part-time fans or casual observers. the message is out there and it has nothing to do with the talk on this thread

. of course the play could be better (and i thought there was a big improvement last night, btw) ... but people aren't even getting in the gate to see that, because they read the mass media and think the team is already gone

gull

also this article on mariners crowds http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...r-mariners-could-ship-out-20131229-301tc.html

I mainly enjoyed the comment after it from this poster:

"Maybe CCM could go to Perth? No wait! their crowds
are lower. Take over Heart? crowds lower. Play in
Adelaide? No, crowds are smaller. Cross the Tasman?
No, their crowds are lower too. CCM have consistently
made the final series in terms of crowds and yet the
crowds they have are constantly attacked. Maybe its
the lack of growth over the last few seasons? Nope,
they have been steadily growing too. Perhaps its that
the team doesn't add anything to the competition?
Well they have been pretty successful over the years
and have been a benchmark

Relocation is mentioned in this article which reads to me as though it was dictated by MC himself.

It is not something that people on the forum keep making up.

sydmariner

To keep posting about relocation and then saying all the talk of relocation is damaging the crowds makes me think some here want it to become self fulfilling.

What will damage crowds is the shit football (like tonight) that has been dished up this year.

Bump
:goodpost: The keyword in the game title was "COMMUNITY" round:goodpost:

sydmariner

. c'mon ancient that is bullshit ... every second article published about the mariners talks about us relocating (slightly exaggerated for impact)

. quoting a podcast from a stand-in GM where she stated that they're still considering how many games they would play at north sydney next year does not ease talk of relocation (partial or otherwise). especially when that podcast is only listened to by a few dozen die-hards anyway. the mass media is where these 'rumours' are being spread, not on this forum ... and the club is simply not doing enough to dispel the 'rumours'

. talk on here about relocation can only be self-fulfilling if those that post and read this forum act that way and i have seen none of that (the nso game excluded). what i have seen is pleading from the fans to be listened to and to get a clear message from the club

. i have had a number of people (who know my passion for the mariners) ask me questions or make statements like:
  • why are they moving to north sydney?
  • i read in the paper the mariners are moving
... this from people who are part-time fans or casual observers. the message is out there and it has nothing to do with the talk on this thread

. of course the play could be better (and i thought there was a big improvement last night, btw) ... but people aren't even getting in the gate to see that, because they read the mass media and think the team is already gone
:goodpost::):p:D:overheadl::thumbup::goodpost:

Wombat

To keep posting about relocation is just building a straw man.

Then saying all the talk of relocation is damaging the crowds is hiding from, and ignoring, the real problems.

What will damage crowds is the ordinary football (like tonight) that has been dished up this year, following the great play last year.

The Football has been gash no doubt but the dribble coming out of MC has been pathetic.

How about the tosser says something useful like...."f**k I made a dickhead of myself with the NSO idea but I was trying something new....I was wrong....i did some damage and I'm sorry.
We will forever be on the Coast and I here to support the greatest team in the HAL history that I am so proud and grateful to be associated with.
Rather than be a negative f**kwit and damage my own product I'm going to put some cash in a buy us a couple of players to allow us to compete with Bris and the Drive Bys and retain our hard fought for title..
Come along and enjoy the show without me trying to white ant my own business.
I will think before making stupid and damaging comments about the club I just brought."
Somewhat sincerely
Mike

Capt. Awesome

We had a really good crowd the other night. Nearly 13k. I'm really disappointed there wasn't a major effort to convert the casual spectator in to a more consultant supporter. I think we missed a great opportunity to get a whole heap more people on board. Let alone a captive audience just sitting outside waiting for the fireworks.

Would have be great if a few of the mariners staff or even some volunteers from the supporters club could have handed out 2 for one offers to get people in the gate. There were thousands just sitting doing nothing from 4pm waiting until 9pm for the fireworks.

So many other ideas for that day could have been thought up.

Totally missed the boat.

sydmariner

We had a really good crowd the other night. Nearly 13k. I'm really disappointed there wasn't a major effort to convert the casual spectator in to a more consultant supporter. I think we missed a great opportunity to get a whole heap more people on board. Let alone a captive audience just sitting outside waiting for the fireworks.

Would have be great if a few of the mariners staff or even some volunteers from the supporters club could have handed out 2 for one offers to get people in the gate. There were thousands just sitting doing nothing from 4pm waiting until 9pm for the fireworks.

Totally missed the boat.
Can the club even afford to give out 2 for 1 tickets given their current financial state & their cash flow issues @ the moment

bikinigirl

Totally missed the boat.

. i don't mean to be rude ... so please don't take it that way

. this would have been a great idea to put to the club a month or so ago ... unfortunately they are not the only ones to have missed the boat

bikinigirl

Can the club even afford to give out 2 for 1 tickets given their current financial state & their cash flow issues @ the moment

. if they are two people that would not have attended otherwise ... then yes
. if they would have been willing to pay for a ticket ... then no

. unfortunately the mariners have seen that a free ticket often creates an expectation of more free tickets

Bladesman

Wouldn't free tickets actually cost us money? We would have to pay for extra security, printing and admin costs and as far as I am aware we don't get $ from food and drink so the only thing is we could hope they bought merchandise.

bikinigirl

. my understanding is that the club already gives away tickets (i don't know how prevalent it is any more though) ... but the philosophy is similar to the mariners mates idea

. it is not about making money from the one game ... it is to give them a taste and sell them on returning. i don't know often we have had to pay for increased security (would relate more to our opponents than the numbers through the gate i reckon), but i would have thought the printing and admin costs would be minimal if done correctly

. the club still sees some value in the extra tickets for members, it would be an extension of that ... i just don't know if willy-nilly free tickets will help greatly

Capt. Awesome

. i don't mean to be rude ... so please don't take it that way

. this would have been a great idea to put to the club a month or so ago ... unfortunately they are not the only ones to have missed the boat

No Worries. I just thought it would be obvious that there is a great opportunity to promote our team. We have been doing this NYE thing for a long time now.

I wouldn't even know where to start or who to contact to raise some of these suggestions. Or whether my suggestions would even be taken seriously.

bikinigirl

I wouldn't even know where to start or who to contact to raise some of these suggestions. Or whether my suggestions would even be taken seriously.

. you already made a start ... floating your idea on the forum. putting that idea to the club or the crew would be the next step. i think it would be taken seriously but it needs to be more than just an idea ... we all know how short on resources the club are

. you would need to have a workable plan (perhaps alternatives), time, persistence and people willing to help. one big problem is that everybody is so busy on game day ... as far as i know all the mariners staff and crew committee members already have match day tasks (and they start before 4pm)

. the club does consider many of these types of things but they generally prove unworkable in most circumstances ... the only person that can be guaranteed to have their ideas implemented without stepping up to the coalface is charlesworth

dibo

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-mariners-future/story-fn63e0vj-1226796120505

Among some pretty nothing news about player recruitment that might or might not happen, we have this from Ray Gatt:

Moss's plans come amid news that Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth has set up an advisory board to help plan for the future of the club.

The Australian understands the committee, which met for the first time yesterday, includes long-time supporter and mayor of Wyong, Bob Graham; former FFA employee Duncan Tweed, who is chief executive of the Northern Suburbs Football Association; and Michael Webber, vice-president of the Ku-ring-gai Soccer Association.

Englishman Charlesworth, who took over the controlling interest of the club last season, is understood to be close to hiring a new chief executive, believed to be someone from within Brisbane Roar management.

Given the problems with the squad and fears the club could be relocated to North Sydney, the moves come at a critical time.

Have tweeted Gatty to find out from him if he's omitted CC reps or if there are none. Word is that at the very least there is no representation from CCF or supporters and Lawrie McKinna is not on there either.

EDIT- he's jsut tweeted back to my question "not that I am aware" so either the whole board hasn't been listed or we are being well and truly screwed.

midfielder

I don't see Lawrie McKinna being left out as an issue ... given he is the local mayor he could be seen to have a "conflict of interest" [especially stadium rental] ... Or it could be the new boy wants to rid himself of the old guard which is not uncommon in business... but me thinks its more a "conflict of interest" issue

A new CEO is good news as is Moss looking to go to Asia to find players ... means the boss must be willing to put some coin in...

I cannot see Bob Graham wanting to move us off the Coast ... maybe to the COE .... but not to Sydney / Canberra etc...

I have no idea of the business backgrounds of Duncan Tweed or Michael Webber ... however the idea of an advisory board it not a bad idea... they both appear to have extensive football backgrounds which in itself is refreshing given FFA and some other clubs have looked at other codes advisor's ...[[[[[[[ Bob Graham local government, Duncan Tweed FFA knowledge and experience, Michael Webber park team and grass roots knowledge]]]]]]

I don't read doom and gloom ... more a watch and see.... the advisory board also seems balanced with a variety of experiences ....

Greatly looking forward to a new CEO .... hopefully a good communicator ... with good news [I hope] ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred