• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

More relocation chat/brawling

true believer

I don't believe this bit at all.
the glass ceiling is only in peoples minds .
as football becomes the mainstream. crowds will increase even in less successful years.
I believe if we survive the next 6 years . we'll survive the next 50

adz

Staff member
I know people hate the AFL but just look at Geelong in Victoria; population of about 180,000, it's about the same distance out of Melbourne as we are out of Sydney, they have a slightly bigger ground than us now (just did redevelopments) and they average over 20k.

Sure, they have about a 150 year head start on the Mariners in terms of history, but if they took their foot off the pedal and stopped pushing games (and membership) it would die out very fast.

There's no reason we can't get at the very minimum 10k to every game at Bluetongue.

true believer

I think it's long term cultural change . oh , what has lucy wicks done for the mariners ? has she been to a game ?

good call laurie ,good call

FFC Mariner

Well there is one membership they are very close to losing .

Maybe bombard the people advising him? Out the weasels and let the Coast know who is feeding him these ideas.

Reactions: adz

VicMariner

FFC Mariner said:
Maybe bombard the people advising him? Out the weasels and let the Coast know who is feeding him these ideas.
Start with this guy:
"One of our new board members is Duncan Tweed, who is also the CEO of the Northern Sydney Football Association"
Quote from SBS article.

adz

Staff member
Fire them all and lets never mention this little experiment again. A lot of work is needed now to repair this mess.

adz

Staff member
Fire them all and lets never mention this little experiment again. A lot of work is needed now to repair this mess.

Replying to me, I think now that it's over it needs to be discussed.

I didn't go, but it looked like quite a few people on TV. Although it also looked like the hill on the side the cameras were showing wouldn't hold that many, and the stands didn't look packed out.
Looked like they had one end blocked off with the sauce bottles, and they didn't show the camera side of the ground so it was hard to tell how many were there.

Some tweets going around saying it was a good atmosphere, but was that one-off support, gimmicky type atmosphere, or long-term type?

How many were there because they already go to BTS and took up the $10 ticket?

How many were new, from North Sydney area, and hanging out for a football identity of their own?

Official count of 6,700-ish. Nowhere near the 10,000 they expected.

Was it a success?
Failure?

Thoughts?

sydmariner

I didn't go, but it looked like quite a few people on TV. Although it also looked like the hill on the side the cameras were showing wouldn't hold that many, and the stands didn't look packed out.
Looked like they had one end blocked off with the sauce bottles, and they didn't show the camera side of the ground so it was hard to tell how many were there.

Some tweets going around saying it was a good atmosphere, but was that one-off support, gimmicky type atmosphere, or long-term type?

How many were new, from North Sydney area, and hanging out for a football identity of their own?

Was it a success?
Failure?

Thoughts?
A success @ being a failure:popcorn:

sydmariner

Was it a success?
Failure?

Thoughts?
MC was also chatting 2 some of the YA @ half time

midfielder

Was it a success?
Failure?

Thoughts?

The pitch failed big time .... the crowd IMO was poor ... however it was nice to see the place again...

Bristol_1978

Could off got the same crowd at Gosford, So most like a waste of time, as I had mates from Natural bay who went because it was 10 mins form their house and it was a novelty, They said they would not go every week,
When I was chatting to them this morning they still said if they were a team at Nth Sydney they would still be Sydney til they die,

VicMariner

adz said:
Was it a success?
Failure?

Thoughts?
It was a failure IMO. MC expected 10k and got a smaller crowd than BT.
Football looks terrible on ovals, especially with a cricket pitch in the middle and the atmosphere did not seem as good as BT.

MC should now knuckle down and concentrate on the Central Coast. Season 3 (2007/'08) had an average attendance of 12,738. The fans are there, go after them.

nebakke

The pitch failed big time .... the crowd IMO was poor ... however it was nice to see the place again...

Tbf, I think we see it like this because we'd like to.. Thing is, if it's so much cheaper to play at NSO that they only need 3000 to break-even, then it was probably a bigger financial success than most BlueTongue games.
Once that's said, the driver on the coach was discussing this with some fans on the bus - someone from here? - he reckoned it'd cost 15 mill to do up NSO for A-league, he reckoned that seemed like a ridiculous investment... I assume the money would come from council... But he still seemed to reckon they'd make more money from hosting the cricket and so, he doesn't see us move....

I'd like to think that he was right, but then, he also reckoned that there are way more CCM members on the North shore than up here, so really... ?

VicMariner

nebakke said:
he also reckoned that there are way more CCM members on the North shore than up here, so really... ?
The number that's been put out is 20 percent from NS. I'd be interested in what those 20% of members from North Sydney think about it all.
Do they want CCM to stay in Gosford?
Do they want more than one game a year at NSO?
Do they want the club to shift to NS?
Would they prefer their own club built from the ground up?
What would get them to attend more games at BT?
Would public transport being included in membership like some other clubs do make a difference?

For all we know they might be just as opposed to a move as everyone else.

nebakke

The number that's been put out is 20 percent from NS. I'd be interested in what those 20% of members from North Sydney think
about it all.

This was pointed out to him, he brushed that off with something along the lines of "aaaah, but you shouldn't believe the junk that you read on the Mariners fan...blog...thing... I'm thinking he was referring to this reputable forum... There didn't seem much point in pointing out that these numbers came from MC and that that's not a very nice thing to say...

Do they want CCM to stay in Gosford?
Do they want more than one game a year at NSO?
Do they want the club to shift to NS?
Would they prefer their own club built from the ground up?
What would get them to attend more games at BT?
Would public transport being included in membership like some other clubs do make a difference?

Well, I know that there have been a few, both here and on 442, who have indicated that they have no interest in the team moving to NSO, that they too feel that the team belongs up here, so there's that...

yellowcake

Was it a success?
Failure?

Thoughts?
Different opinions from different persectives Adz...
A respectable crowd of 6755 filed into the historic old ground to watch the first A-League game played there, the Mariners marking a memorable occasion with a 1-0 win over luckless Wellington.
The roll-up delighted Central Coast officials, whose calls for big support at Gosford have often fallen on deaf ears in the past.
Source http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/mariners--we-re-staying-on-the-coast/81287
An interesting "delighted" when that's less than what they had expected and 40% down on our average Bluetongue crowd.

I quite enjoyed the experience though - my report from the other thread: http://www.ccmfans.net/community/in...g-at-home-in-gosford.5203/page-29#post-188376
Would I do it again? Probably, but one game a year max. And I still probably wouldn't go every year

kevrenor

The number that's been put out is 20 percent from NS. I'd be interested in what those 20% of members from North Sydney think about it all.
1. Do they want CCM to stay in Gosford?
2. Do they want more than one game a year at NSO?
3. Do they want the club to shift to NS?
4. Would they prefer their own club built from the ground up?
5. What would get them to attend more games at BT?
6. Would public transport being included in membership like some other clubs do make a difference?

1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. I already go to every game unless sick/chained down by family event/trip
6. Perhaps - if the trains ran to better timetables or a special for big games like Wanderers got in Newcastle

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred