• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Forum Phoenix

If your completely dedicated to the club and don't want to miss anything get Facebook. Those without it missed a pure gold exchange between the club and a naysayer yesterday. The naysayer was then destroyed by a lot of long term members of this forum and the club.
Details? :popcorn:

pjennings

Yes I was rolling with the catholic angle.
Given PJ’s spending guesstimate, Interested to hear how and where people think it should be spent?

I think it really comes down to who the English striker is, how much they cost and how that is funded. MC has said we will be at the minimum spend so my guess was that we has $890,000. A big enough name will take all of that and we will still need another player to make the minimum squad size.

If the player is high profile enough a third party may fund that player and the quality of the rest can be higher.

If we actually get 5 players my priority would be CS, RB, RM, HM, back up RM.

------------------------------------------------------Kennedy/Pearce/Gauci-------------------------------------------------
?????/McGing-------------Aspro/NYL------------------------------------Cisse/Golec-----------------------Clisby/Rowles
-------------------------------------------Hiariej/Melling/-------------.HM/Berry-----------------------------------------------------
-----------RM/Backup RM-------------------------------McGlinchey/Hoole-------------------------Pain/Shabow------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------CS--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have Glassock training with the main squad (maybe on a scholarship like Gauci) so that his position is outside the squad size.

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I reckon the club, for TripleMs first home game, should book Alestorm for a gig at Bluetongue...admittedly there not to everyone’s taste, but they do pirate themed tunes very LOUDLY

Woollybutt

I see the gaps in the squad fairly similarly. I think a striker from overseas is where we need to be willing to spend that hypothetical $890,000. Le Fondre would be a brilliant pick up, Bent slightly less so, and I'm sure there are other good options out there. I'd be happy with the Import, Simon, and Gameiro as the striker options, with Smylie or one of the other youth guys training with the first team as cover.

Right back is a big gap, but I'm not too confident on filling it. Can anyone suggest any Australian right backs that would be a first choice for us? Nigro would probably be the best available. I have a feeling we may end up with a fairly unspectacular signing as cover, maybe one of the spate of recent NPL trialists, with McGing as first choice. I don't think another centre back is necessary. We have Aspro and Golec as proven A-League standard options (albeit with possible fitness issues for the start of the season), Rowles is promising, and Cisse should be good.

Midfield is a problem, as we have no depth other than Berry. I still think we'll play 4-3-3 without a ten, in which case our current best midfield would be Melling behind Tom and McGlinchey. Cisse, McGing, and Tom can cover the holding role, and Cisse may move there permanently if Aspro and Golec both prove their fitness, so the priority would have to be an alternative to McGlinchey as the most progressive of the midfield three. Oli would have been perfect, but that would be the other position an import might be needed. Provided De Silva leaves, I'd like to see that money spent on another Tom rather than a classic ten. If De Silva doesn't leave, then I guess it's back to the dreaded 4-2-3-1.

I'd like to see the fourth spot go to either another wide player or another midfielder as cover, but I'm not too fussed. Hoole, McGlinchey, Pain, and Shabow can cover the wide positions, so maybe another decent midfielder would be best. For the hypothetical fifth spot, maybe one of the youth guys like Kekeris or Glassock, or the best of the NPL trialists. Or even take a punt on Kwame Yeboah, since he was a Mulvey product at Roar and stagnated in Germany. Given our record of January signings, I don't buy into the idea that you should keep a spot open for the January window.

pjennings

Dylan McGowan was not getting any time at Paços de Ferreira, they have loaned him to the K League where he is averaging less than every other game. Maybe he is worth a shot at taking over the loan. As you said Kwame Yeboah could be a very good option looking to resurrect his career. Rostyn Griffiths has parted ways with his Uzbek team as he wants to return to Australia because his wife is expecting.

If you sign those three plus Bent or Le Fondre the cost will be more than $890,000. Hence my point about a third party funding the bulk of the strikers wage in exchange for some commercial opportunities. Le Fondre probably doesn't have the name for that but maybe Bent would be recognised as much as Heskey was by the mainstream public.

style_cafe

I getting excited about these new half time actives.

Keelhauling
Walking the plank off the top deck mezzanine
The club burns you at the stake
Burn them alive

I assume at some stage would need permission, but if they insult Tommy then I am sure it would be granted, saying slagging off Hutch.

We would need a Judge I nominate Bikini Girl for the role of Judge,
FP to write the rules of what punishment is required for what crime
Wombat to be the prosecutor
Pat J to be the head of the jury and call on forum members to determine if a crime [OK a tad over the top but writers licence]
SydneyMariner to carry out the verdicts.

Middies role to inform the press so people will come if not for the game but to see the half time punishments.

Ahh ..the off -season is really getting to you too Middy...:popcorn:

Last edited:

nebakke

Nope- that's just not acceptable... there has to be a swathe of awesome signings coming. I've committed for another year now even though I said I was gonna wait and see what signings came in - club better bloody earn that commitment!

Forum Phoenix

We do have a fieldable 11. Hopefully we will have a better one soonish, however most likely:

KENNEDY

McGing — Cisse — Rowles — Clisby

Hiariej — Melling

Hoole — weemac — Pain

Simon

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads