• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

Ozhammer

The game is off tomorrow

After today’s NSW Health announcement on the latest COVID-19 update, the Central Coast Mariners have had to make the difficult decision to cancel tomorrow’s trial match at Central Coast Stadium and move the Carols on the Coast event to a live stream only capacity.

While this is disappointing, the decision has been made while working closely under the guidance of NSW Health in the best interest of the Central Coast community to ensure their health and safety during this holiday period.
Arse! Seriously? :headbutt:

Forum Phoenix

If Jonata plays in front of Clisby then clisby may play a traditional LB role rather than a LWB style
Good thought. That would help him. Though for mine his best asset is his crossing. Sstill he's not a modern WB and either his engine or focus clearly struggle when he's asked to be.

Big Dog

From what I have seen DDS is not the CAM we are looking for. Maybe Olly could play the role but I see him as our first pick DM. I am not a fan of playing your best player out of position. As MIck points out, also says Jankovic from his highlights reel appears to play deep as well. Hopefully he can play #10 with Bouman as a backup. However I am talking of a traditional #10. With 4 2 2 2 it looks like 2 DMs and 2 AMs.
A lot will depend on the formation Staj has them play. I am worried that if he plays 4 2 2 2 again that the players will be able to cope. With this formation you need to have a lot of movement and all players must have enough vision and perception to cover the gaps that appear with the movement.
From what I could see last year many players had trouble fitting in to this structure. Nizz was one who seemed to understand it and covered a lot of ground and was more often than not in the right place. He also could see where others should be.
A lot will depend on how well they are trained and how well they can execute the plan.

I do not have a great football background nor do I have any coaching quals. However viewing from on high gives a good view of the whole field and unlike tv shows more than just around the ball.

I would be interested to hear views from others who know more about the game whether I am talking crap or whether I have understood a bit of Staj's tactics.

I'm probably in the minority but I think DDS has more to offer and has suffered with his confidence last season. I think he has great vision and have seen him thread passes that players just haven't read, that should have. He's also played predominantly on the left and had to do a ton of defence to cover for Clisby who in my view is limited. We've also had limited options up front.

The real challenge of coaching is to get the best out of the squad and the balance and formation is so important. The right tweeks can make a huge difference for a player. I actually thought playing Oar at L/WB in a 3-5-2 had potential and would play to someone like DDS strengths but we were well into the season so chasing our tail a bit.

Anyway, seems some good midfield options. Hopefully we'll hold our own.

turbo

As I posted in another thread.

The A-League will look to postpone a number of games as the northern beaches COVID outbreak wreaks havoc with the tournament's start date next week.

This may play out in our favour. Early games postponed. More time to get players into the country and fit?
We don’t have an interstate team game until rounds 3 and 4. I would think there’s every chance they shuffle around some matches with the NSW teams. It’s plausible they bring the Sydney and Nix games forward. Might even need to play a second set of games against some of them depending on how things play out with the shortened calendar.

But the question will be around stadium crowds as well.

Pirate Pete

We don’t have an interstate team game until rounds 3 and 4. I would think there’s every chance they shuffle around some matches with the NSW teams. It’s plausible they bring the Sydney and Nix games forward. Might even need to play a second set of games against some of them depending on how things play out with the shortened calendar.

But the question will be around stadium crowds as well.
I was thinking about this earlier.
How bad would it be for the NYE game to be played without a crowd....
santacry.gif

The article does say....
The season was set to kick off on Sunday with a blockbuster clash between the Western Sydney Wanderers and league newcomers Macarthur FC at Bankwest Stadium, but will likely be postponed amid the outbreak.

So if they're going to postpone that rather than play behind closed doors, our game could be off too. Who knows what's happening at the moment.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...rn-beaches-covid-cluster-20201220-p56p3s.html

Wombat

I'm probably in the minority but I think DDS has more to offer and has suffered with his confidence last season. I think he has great vision and have seen him thread passes that players just haven't read, that should have. He's also played predominantly on the left and had to do a ton of defence to cover for Clisby who in my view is limited. We've also had limited options up front.

The real challenge of coaching is to get the best out of the squad and the balance and formation is so important. The right tweeks can make a huge difference for a player. I actually thought playing Oar at L/WB in a 3-5-2 had potential and would play to someone like DDS strengths but we were well into the season so chasing our tail a bit.

Anyway, seems some good midfield options. Hopefully we'll hold our own.

Agree 100%. The boy has so much potential, if he fires we can be a handful this season. But last year he was poor at times and took way to many bad options but like you say alot of that was down to the players around him.

I'm still a fan as he has the potential to be our Player of the Year.

turbo

Worst case scenario: All the Sydney teams move somewhere else to a designated A-League hub.
If they get approval. Grounds are going to be a challenge for that many teams if they all go to the same state.

So if they're going to postpone that rather than play behind closed doors, our game could be off too. Who knows what's happening at the moment
Definitely a possibility but I think Foxtel will be pushing them hard. The season will have to be over before the Olympics dominate TV (assuming they aren’t abandoned).
Though if they do push some rounds back it should benefit us, as long as others aren’t waiting on signings too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred