• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

Coastalraider

I really really really want to be positive, but I think the season pretty well gone already.

even if we somehow manage to land 2 quality visa attackers TODAY, they won’t be out of quarantine until the season starts. Even on the wild presumption that they are match fit, we are heading into a compressed start to the season meaning reduced group training schedules, so time to gel with the team is greatly minimised once the first period of the season starts. 9 of our 26 games will be over before we take a breath, meaning we’ve played 1/3 of our season without a fluent attack.
That’s the best case scenario as I see it. And it bloody hurts. I know the team is trying to sort through the mess of ownership and visas etc, but why is it always us??? Even brand new teams manage to get this stuff sorted.

Michael

. i'm intrigued - so many people are suggesting a starting paring of Oli and Nizzy ... and consigning Stens to the bench

. Stens played practically every minute last season (only Ziggy and Birraz played more) - Nizzy by comparison was closer to a third than half the minutes played
. Stens was even played in front of Kim
. Stens was awarded the 'newcomer of the year award'

. what have people heard or seen that suggests Staj will be changing his views ... or is it just wishful thinking

this
Don’t sleep on Stens people, he’s an excellent young player that Staj loves. We all know form fluctuations happen to every single young player. He’ll be starting with Olly.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

. i'm intrigued - so many people are suggesting a starting paring of Oli and Nizzy ... and consigning Stens to the bench

. Stens played practically every minute last season (only Ziggy and Birraz played more) - Nizzy by comparison was closer to a third than half the minutes played
. Stens was even played in front of Kim
. Stens was awarded the 'newcomer of the year award'

. what have people heard or seen that suggests Staj will be changing his views ... or is it just wishful thinking
Sadly this is true. Stens often passes to the wrong team and never been a fan. I think we like Nissy because we wants to get the ball moving forward more.

turbo

It really is time for some of the younger 'experienced' players to earn their keep. Kye and DDS have now been around for a while - they need to own their spot and Clisby is still a worry at LB. With 3 more signings we could line up

-------------------------Birighitti------------------------------
Nigro----------Gordon------------Rowles------------Clisby
--------------Nisbet------------------Bozanic-----------------
Sekiya (still hoping)---De Silva----------Jonata (Rumour only)
----------------------Visa Striker--------------------------------
This looks better than what some had been thinking but I'm not sold on either Rowles or Tongyik as a starting CB. They've both had good and bad moments and Kye had a poor season last season. IMO this one will be make or break for his AL prospects as a starting CB - we've given him the minutes and faith from a young age but he seems to have plateaued. Maybe he needs to move on for his own development or maybe we need to roll the dice on a different prospect like Hall if we're determined to grow our own starting CB.

Edit: Im not convinced DDS will be starting though, Bouman might get in front of him as DDS seemed to be falling out of favor as the season went on particularly post COVID break. Still with the congested calendar early it may take a little while for the pecking order to become clear. Should be lots of minutes to go around especially if the 5 subs rule remains.

Last edited:

turbo

this
Don’t sleep on Stens people, he’s an excellent young player that Staj loves. We all know form fluctuations happen to every single young player. He’ll be starting with Olly.
Agreed. I'm sure Nisbet will get more minutes this year but if Stens can tighten up his passing a lot of the criticism will fade away. Last year we had no AM and very few clear pathways forward which makes things worse for someone like him. If Staj can drill some structure (hopefully not 4-2-2-2) and provide clear, simple go to passing lanes for him that will benefit his game.

Ironbark

I think Nis - Ollie is our best DM pairing - no disrespect to Stens who I am a fan of.
But I agree there is about no chance Stens will start on the bench.
If so my preference would be a Stens - Nis pairing with Ollie at CAM.
I've well and truly given up on DDS coming good. Bench for me.

EDIT: wrote this before finishing reading everyone else's comments. Forgot about Bouman.
With our lack of depth I do expect to see more of our youngsters than people might expect. Bouman is a CAM/striker yeah? I reckon he'll start over DDS.

Ollie was traditionally a winger but is too skilled/important to not direct play in some way for us. Meaning Nis is likely on the bench to start.

With the tight turn around on games we'll no doubt see a rotation of who starts, including Hatch et al.

I'd like to see Nis given a run at CAM when he's ready too

Last edited:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I really really really want to be positive, but I think the season pretty well gone already.

even if we somehow manage to land 2 quality visa attackers TODAY, they won’t be out of quarantine until the season starts. Even on the wild presumption that they are match fit, we are heading into a compressed start to the season meaning reduced group training schedules, so time to gel with the team is greatly minimised once the first period of the season starts. 9 of our 26 games will be over before we take a breath, meaning we’ve played 1/3 of our season without a fluent attack.
That’s the best case scenario as I see it. And it bloody hurts. I know the team is trying to sort through the mess of ownership and visas etc, but why is it always us??? Even brand new teams manage to get this stuff sorted.
Yep, I worry that this could be our worst season yet.

Stupidly I thought the lowered salary cap could actually level out the playing field - I (naively...you'd think it was my first year supporting this club) didn't anticipate that the gap on paper between us and everybody else would have been magnified.

It's a pity that MC seems unable to offload the club so far, but I guess thanks are in order for at least sticking around and not just ditching us.

Corsair

I think the sale hasn't helped. The cynic in me is thinking MC would have held off any early purchases because it saves on early wage costs...
I hadn't thought of that, it certainly seems to fit the operating model. If so that really is very dire to be penny pinching to that extent.

Michael

I don't rate Stensness at all. Reports from pre-season games is that he hasn't been that good. Nisbet over him every single day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

it depends what you like in a central midfielder and what you understand about that role and how many types of roles there is in there.
Stens is purely a holder. There to recycle and keep the ball moving and he does it well. Our coach clearly appreciates it.
I love Niz. He’s a box to box CM. As is Olly, although I reckon he’ll sit a little more this season, you can’t have all your CM’s running back and forth all game. You lose any and all shape. You need at least one anchor.

and I don’t buy into the “Stens passes to the other team too much”
Every single one of our players did that last season and Stens certainly wasn’t the worst for it.

pjennings

it depends what you like in a central midfielder and what you understand about that role and how many types of roles there is in there.
Stens is purely a holder. There to recycle and keep the ball moving and he does it well. Our coach clearly appreciates it.
I love Niz. He’s a box to box CM. As is Olly, although I reckon he’ll sit a little more this season, you can’t have all your CM’s running back and forth all game. You lose any and all shape. You need at least one anchor.

and I don’t buy into the “Stens passes to the other team too much”
Every single one of our players did that last season and Stens certainly wasn’t the worst for it.
While I agree with that - the problem he had was that when he did it he was the deepest of our midfielders and the opposition were on us in an instant. I get frustrated when our wingers put in a poor pass which is all Stens is doing. Football is a simple game, concentration and technique only needs to be combined for short periods of time for a player to have a great game. However, players tend to treat each of the 90 minutes the same and mentally fatigue. The recognition of the need for heightened concentration on your technique at key times can be the difference between an average player and a very good player. That goes as much for Stens as it does to wingers providing crosses, strikers taking shots and all other players.

Tevor

Yep, I worry that this could be our worst season yet.

Stupidly I thought the lowered salary cap could actually level out the playing field - I (naively...you'd think it was my first year supporting this club) didn't anticipate that the gap on paper between us and everybody else would have been magnified.

It's a pity that MC seems unable to offload the club so far, but I guess thanks are in order for at least sticking around and not just ditching us.
I was never one to believe the hype that everyone was coming back to our level. You could see months ago so many teams were building better than we were. Imagine the backlash if we can’t beat the Jets on NYE, they have no permanent coach and seem to be in a real mess but if they beat us what does that say.

turbo

With limited flights into Australia I don’t think you can be too picky on your incoming port.... but in saying that we are on the wrong side of zero % chance of signing him.
This on both counts. Though if we did land him it would have a glory days vibe about it with Oli and Amini back in the squad. Definitely not the worst thing the club could do and would give us a real reason to think the tide is turning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred