• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Timmah

Don't be stupid......he would drop his own keys down a drain.

Trott, Izzo and Pasfield hold the trifecta for worst keepers in HAL.
I think this is pretty unfair to Izzo tbh. Trott and Pasfield were average keepers in good squads - Izzo, yes has his issues, but has also suffered at the hands of an inconsistent (read: changing weekly) back four prone to woeful lapses.

This is especially when you consider he signed with us pre-season expecting to be second choice keeper.

He deserves crap for his wall-setting ability and some of his ball-watching but I think there are plenty of factors to explain why he's shipped so many goals this season.

bikinigirl

Izzo, yes has his issues, but has also suffered at the hands of an inconsistent (read: changing weekly) back four ...

. hey c'mon i heard we even started the same back four two weeks in a row once this season :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wombat

I think this is pretty unfair to Izzo tbh. Trott and Pasfield were average keepers in good squads - Izzo, yes has his issues, but has also suffered at the hands of an inconsistent (read: changing weekly) back four prone to woeful lapses.

This is especially when you consider he signed with us pre-season expecting to be second choice keeper.

He deserves crap for his wall-setting ability and some of his ball-watching but I think there are plenty of factors to explain why he's shipped so many goals this season.

I rate Izzo no better than Pasfield.
I'm a better keeper than Trott.....as is my cattle dog charlie.....no really, she is hard to beat.
Izzo is better than Trott.......but not by much.

pjennings

Izzo has a number of problems as a keeper.

1) His distribution - especially long distribution is poor.
2) He cannot set a wall properly and even if he does not trust it to do it's job and so leaves the area he should be covering unprotected.
3) Positioning - see below
4) He does not stay on his toes a crucial times. A case in point was the first goal against Sydney. Let's forget the defensive errors that led to the gaol. The Sydney player was travelling across the goal being shadowed by a defender. His only shot was towards the eastern third of the goal. Izzo should have been positioned in the middle of that in which case the ball would have come straight to him. (problem 3). He actually was moving to his right - where the ball couldn't have gone - and had his weight going that way before he had to re-adjust and dive to his left.
5) His communication is not great

He does have good reflexes and good hand speed. These are essential and a pre-requisite. The problems he has can all be remedied.

Last edited:

Wombat

Imagine being the f**ktard who keeps picking him....

Maybe another f**ktard (i wont name him) keeps telling Tony and Hutcho.....he is good...just wait....just ignore his 4 goal a game efforts.....once the moon aligns over the Spike Milligan bridge at 7pm.....he will keep a clean sheet.

Timmah

A bit random but I've seen plenty of conjecture on some 'lesser' forms of our club's social media comments sections - one point in particular I couldn't let slide.

Basically - the claim is that due to the awfulness of this season the club is somehow driving crowds away and our figures are the worst ever - and that we would have better attendances if we were winning games. It's just not so.

Let's clear something up. In reverse order, here are our home averages (excluding finals) for the 11 seasons.

Eleven: 8,170
Ten: 7,585
Nine: 9,398
Eight: 9,969
Seven: 9,628

Six: 8,076
Five: 7,388
Four: 10,465
Three: 12,738
Two: 9,828
One: 7,899

The colourings are silver for premiers plate and brown for toilet seat (geddit?).

Now I'm not going to sit here and defend our season, because we should be doing better on the park. But it really annoys me when I see people bleating that people are 'walking away' and our crowds are 'worst ever' when they're still above FOUR of the average crowds in our history, including a season we MADE THE GRAND FINAL.

The fact is there's always been a core who stay loyal and that will continue after a bad season, even allowing for the noisy social media crowd making noise.

/ rant over

(edit: it's worth noting that in those first 3-4 seasons there were only eight or nine home matches, which skyrocketed to twelve-fourteen around the turn of the decade)

Last edited:

nebakke

It's a funny thing actually - I was talking to a buddy about the crowds at the last home game, in part as the relative shock of just how few people are showing in Bay 16 these days, in for the derby games....
In a crazy sort of way, I reckon that we can be sort of proud of ourselves at this point, because looking at the last couple of games, we seem to have proven that we have a - relatively strong - die-hard crowd of around 6-7000, as has always been claimed anyway, with a good 2-3000 semi-regular fair-weather stragglers, who will potentially renew and show up while there's still promise to a season...
That, to me, is still a pretty decent build on what I perceive to have been a core of around 4500 some years back.

Just like this season, I would expect us to start the next season with larger crowds than we're ending, in spite of results.... Certainly, I can say that I and the people that I go with, have no compunctions about renewing our memberships... It might not always be the most fun thing in the world to sit at games this season, but overall, I still find a fools hope at the beginning of each and every game, which seems to make the whole thing a worthwhile exercise ;)

I would be quite surprised, however, if we don't see a significant drop in memberships for next season...

pjennings

The crowds next year will be down unless a fairer, more even year to year, distribution of NSW games is devised. We had 6 NSW games and a NYE game this year. Last year we had 3 NSW games and no NYE game.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Syd, im not a mod and you can do what you want, but when you effectively bump a thread just to post a shit emoticon - it really is a waste of time clicking loading scrolling down just to see that mate. Maybe if it was only once in a while eh?

Wombat

I have no idea who it is but we WILL have another starting 11 keeper next season.
For me I'd like to see us loan out Izzo and keep Bray as our #2.

Reactions: adz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred