• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Seeing the back of Charlesworth

Will you back MC to the end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

style_cafe

The numbers are definitely interesting. How many people would actually pay $500-$1000 each season? I know I would if I knew where it was going, but what does everyone else think?

I`ve been thinking the same thing all day.
I really don`t think too many people would stump up $500- to $1,000- to be honest.
But, if the club was smart and offered a payment plan of $10-/week automatically deducted from an account.
ie. $10-/wk x 50 weeks =$500- then I think a lot of supporters would do it to help out their club.

Include a season ticket with the investment
Add some recognition ie. Names on a framed photo hanging in the foyer of the office block.
Throw in a supporters club membership also and I think people would be attracted.
Even if say 2,000 people @ $500- =$1,000,000-

Then with 2,000 in the supporters club additional funds could also be raised.
1) Sell the Loose Cannon at matches say 500 copies at $2- each = $1,000- x 16 home games = $16,000-
each copy numbered with 10 numbers drawn at half time to "shoot for loot" $100- prize (at most $300- prize money per season)
2) Run a series of doubles for first scorer 121 tickets x $2-each = $242- per series
less $50-cash prize per series x say 6 series per home game = $1,152- x 16 = $18,432-
3) Run a raffle at each game with a donated prize say 1,000 tickets x $2- = $2,000- x 16 games = $32,000-

Just some simple ideas that could easily raise funds for us via the supporters club

pjennings

It is not the councils job to line the pockets of a private businessman. CCM are not a "community asset" they are a private company Why should my asset (I'm a rate payer) be given away? I think they should sell it but that would require him to invest his own cash and take a commercial risk which he wont do.
I'm a rate payer as well and they definitely should not be 'giving away' the asset. But equally their use of the asset has been extremely poor and has actually detracted from the use of the area.

Grahame Park was always used. The Stadium is always locked up. How is that a community asset. If CCMFC opened the Stadium precinct up it would be more of a community asset than it has been since before the Stadium was built. 15 days access a year does not make a community asset. If they insist on keeping management rights then they need to put in the effort to make it a community asset rather than using their anchor tenant CCMFC subsidise cut price deals for out of town NRL clubs.

FFC Mariner

I'm a rate payer as well and they definitely should not be 'giving away' the asset. But equally their use of the asset has been extremely poor and has actually detracted from the use of the area.

Grahame Park was always used. The Stadium is always locked up. How is that a community asset. If CCMFC opened the Stadium precinct up it would be more of a community asset than it has been since before the Stadium was built. 15 days access a year does not make a community asset. If they insist on keeping management rights then they need to put in the effort to make it a community asset rather than using their anchor tenant CCMFC subsidise cut price deals for out of town NRL clubs.
No argument at all but giving it to an absentee rent seeker is insane and the council is quite right to tell him to f**k off.

pjennings

No argument at all but giving it to an absentee rent seeker is insane and the council is quite right to tell him to f**k off.
However a long-term lease and management rights is not giving it to anyone. It would be a commercial arrangement that would mean the ratepayer would be better off, CCMFC would be better off, the precinct would be open more often (possibly every day according to Shaun) and surrounding businesses would be better off with more activity in the area.

Simply put the Council has sat on their hands for the detriment of ratepayers, CCMFC and local buinesses.

The use of the Stadium would not just be cost recovery exercise where you screw CCMFC but a revenue producing asset for CCMFC and the Council through lease payments

Insertnamehere

Paywalled. Any chance of copying?
>Mariners boss Shaun Mielekamp has sent councillors and politicians an extraordinary email to make them aware of a proposal the club had for management rights to Central Coast Stadium, which was never shown to councillors because staff deemed it not “unique enough”.
>
>In his emails Mr Mielekamp claims council staff did not take the plan — which was four years in the making — to councillors for their consideration.
>
>“After 6 exhaustive years financially supporting and backing the Club, the Chairman Mike Charlesworth has now publicly expressed his intent to sell the A-League license to the highest bidder,” Mr Mielekamp wrote.
>
>“This could very well result in the club being relocated or folded altogether.
>
>“The only way to keep our ONLY national sporting team on the Central Coast and the ONLY anchor tenant at the stadium, playing all home matches here, is to ensure that any prospective investor into the club has the assurances that the Central Coast is a vibrant, growing and dynamic region worth investing in and has a council that prides itself on doing everything it can for our community, which the Mariners play a vital role in.
>
>“The club had a strategy and had submitted a proposal to council on a long term plan for the stadium that would save the club — we had been working on this for over 4 years knowing this day might come.
>
>“While I could go on forever in the details I just want it known that the decision for this was not in the hands of you, our elected officials, as the clubs proposal was not deemed “unique” enough to warrant you being involved in the decision. This process regardless of the outcome and the threshold for “uniqueness” must be made at council chambers not in the admin office.”
>
>Mr Mielekamp forwarded the email to every state and federal politician on the coast to update them on the club’s position and to “flag the seriousness that we face”.
>
>“Ideally there will be an opportunity to include a community based ownership model or shareholding of some sort moving forward however the major funding will need to come from private investors,” he wrote.
>
>“When the right investor presents themselves I will be asking you all to show them that this region is worth backing and investing in, unfortunately the biggest challenge I have right now is the perception that it is too hard to do business on the coast and too hard to actually get anything done. I will need to sell the Central Coast as much as a viable proposition as I will need to sell the football club.
>
>“Everyone is happy to jump on the Mariners bandwagon when we are winning but it is now that tangible support and real help is needed at our toughest of times.”
>
>Central Coast Council has been contacted for a response.
>
>THE PROPOSAL THAT COULD SAVE THE MARINERS
>The Mariners gave Central Coast Council an unsolicited proposal for management rights to Central Coast Stadium last December.
>
>The 56-page proposal seeks a 30-year lease in which the southern end of the stadium would be activated to include cafes, retail, licensed restaurants and a catering school open seven days.
>
>
>Under the $4 million proposal the black fences and water tanks would be relocated so the new “Palm Tree Parade” area could better connect with Gosford waterfront under Brian McGowen Bridge and with Gosford’s CBD.
>
>As well A-League rounds and the potential for exhibition matches between international teams, the Mariners also committed to doubling the number of annual events to more than 30 including concerts similar to the Lionel Richie concert in March 2018.
>
>
>A key component of this would be the introduction of a “Coast Live-Pass” which would get the cardholder access to every event and game of the year.
>
>The proposal states this would generate more local jobs, provide employment training and internships and turn the stadium precinct into a tourist and entertainment hub.
>
>
>“With thirteen Hyundai A-League matches, two NRL games and a handful of community events each year, Central Coast Stadium spends most of the time empty,” the proposal states.
>
>“This (Coast Live-Pass) will enable the Club to generate seed funding to attract large acts to the venue along with aiding the funding of stage and production upgrades to create a turn key live performance venue.”
>
>The proposal uses the Penrith Panthers long term lease with Penrith City Council in 2009, and subsequent activation of that stadium beyond NRL as an example of what could be achieved.
>
>Under the plan the Mariners would allow council to run three community events a year, while also providing council additional revenue from the ground.
>
>The proposal states the Mariners were in a position to enter a women’s team into the 2020-21 W-League season and with the A-League expansion “licence bid consortiums” were looking to relocate clubs and council would lose the Mariners as its major tenant.

Michael

I am genuinely petrified that the reality in which we lose our club is way too close. Obviously it’s not surprising but I still see myself with tears in my eyes in the near future.
I do take heart that Shaun also feels this way and will do all he can to help us find a new owner keeping us on the coast.

turbo

I’m not sure I’d call that the nuclear option but it’s a very strong statement for Shaun to go public with that and an indication of just how serious the situation is. Hopefully it works.

As a rate payer it’s very concerning that there are council admin staff making those decisions without presenting to councillors. We don’t elect those staff or have any say in their position so it’s a problem if they’ve got an agenda or dislike for the club. God knows what they’re after if such a sweeping proposal isn’t unique enough? Maybe they need to let the leagues put some pokies in the stands.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

One thing I'm confused about - perhaps I'm misunderstanding how these things work but I would have thought that for something this big the club would already have been exercising some direct contacts with councillors? Any insights there?
If admin staff have rejected it, that's beyond disgraceful - I seriously can't help but wonder, though, if they did forward it on and the first councillor said 'nah, they're not league, tell them to f**k off' and blocked the rest from seeing it......is that farfetched?
Good on Shaun for making this extraordinary level of incompetence public.
Is there anything the local member can do here? Even just being on board to facilitate whatever changes are required (such as stadium management) to get a deal over the line?
Now it's public, I daresay contacting the local member (and council) over this can only help as it increases the political pressure, rather than having this go away overnight.
contact your local member, people
also, what the actual flying f**k does that 'uniqueness' bullshit even mean???

turbo

Interestingly hard to find who your councillor is and their contact info. CCC website not very helpful.

Edit: found it. How the fk is Greg Best still in council?!

I’ll be addressing mine to the mayor and another to state and federal members.

As for Best or some of the others people don’t know who most of them are. I don’t know anyone under 40 who does unless they’ve been screwed in some way by them. Otherwise they’re mostly an inconvenience we need to vote for and I assume they’re there for their own interests.

Wombat

>Mariners boss Shaun Mielekamp has sent councillors and politicians an extraordinary email to make them aware of a proposal the club had for management rights to Central Coast Stadium, which was never shown to councillors because staff deemed it not “unique enough”.
>
>In his emails Mr Mielekamp claims council staff did not take the plan — which was four years in the making — to councillors for their consideration.
>
>“After 6 exhaustive years financially supporting and backing the Club, the Chairman Mike Charlesworth has now publicly expressed his intent to sell the A-League license to the highest bidder,” Mr Mielekamp wrote.
>
>“This could very well result in the club being relocated or folded altogether.
>
>“The only way to keep our ONLY national sporting team on the Central Coast and the ONLY anchor tenant at the stadium, playing all home matches here, is to ensure that any prospective investor into the club has the assurances that the Central Coast is a vibrant, growing and dynamic region worth investing in and has a council that prides itself on doing everything it can for our community, which the Mariners play a vital role in.
>
>“The club had a strategy and had submitted a proposal to council on a long term plan for the stadium that would save the club — we had been working on this for over 4 years knowing this day might come.
>
>“While I could go on forever in the details I just want it known that the decision for this was not in the hands of you, our elected officials, as the clubs proposal was not deemed “unique” enough to warrant you being involved in the decision. This process regardless of the outcome and the threshold for “uniqueness” must be made at council chambers not in the admin office.”
>
>Mr Mielekamp forwarded the email to every state and federal politician on the coast to update them on the club’s position and to “flag the seriousness that we face”.
>
>“Ideally there will be an opportunity to include a community based ownership model or shareholding of some sort moving forward however the major funding will need to come from private investors,” he wrote.
>
>“When the right investor presents themselves I will be asking you all to show them that this region is worth backing and investing in, unfortunately the biggest challenge I have right now is the perception that it is too hard to do business on the coast and too hard to actually get anything done. I will need to sell the Central Coast as much as a viable proposition as I will need to sell the football club.
>
>“Everyone is happy to jump on the Mariners bandwagon when we are winning but it is now that tangible support and real help is needed at our toughest of times.”
>
>Central Coast Council has been contacted for a response.
>
>THE PROPOSAL THAT COULD SAVE THE MARINERS
>The Mariners gave Central Coast Council an unsolicited proposal for management rights to Central Coast Stadium last December.
>
>The 56-page proposal seeks a 30-year lease in which the southern end of the stadium would be activated to include cafes, retail, licensed restaurants and a catering school open seven days.
>
>
>Under the $4 million proposal the black fences and water tanks would be relocated so the new “Palm Tree Parade” area could better connect with Gosford waterfront under Brian McGowen Bridge and with Gosford’s CBD.
>
>As well A-League rounds and the potential for exhibition matches between international teams, the Mariners also committed to doubling the number of annual events to more than 30 including concerts similar to the Lionel Richie concert in March 2018.
>
>
>A key component of this would be the introduction of a “Coast Live-Pass” which would get the cardholder access to every event and game of the year.
>
>The proposal states this would generate more local jobs, provide employment training and internships and turn the stadium precinct into a tourist and entertainment hub.
>
>
>“With thirteen Hyundai A-League matches, two NRL games and a handful of community events each year, Central Coast Stadium spends most of the time empty,” the proposal states.
>
>“This (Coast Live-Pass) will enable the Club to generate seed funding to attract large acts to the venue along with aiding the funding of stage and production upgrades to create a turn key live performance venue.”
>
>The proposal uses the Penrith Panthers long term lease with Penrith City Council in 2009, and subsequent activation of that stadium beyond NRL as an example of what could be achieved.
>
>Under the plan the Mariners would allow council to run three community events a year, while also providing council additional revenue from the ground.
>
>The proposal states the Mariners were in a position to enter a women’s team into the 2020-21 W-League season and with the A-League expansion “licence bid consortiums” were looking to relocate clubs and council would lose the Mariners as its major tenant.

So far the only response from the morons at Council was to query if a new carpark at the corner of the stadium was a good idea......are these retards for real?????? The same corner Charlesworth wanted to build a multi story Hotel connected to the stadium. Are these morons ok to handle the millions of dollars we give them every year.......my response is no........i wouldnt leave them in charge of a lunch order.

Wombat

I am genuinely petrified that the reality in which we lose our club is way too close. Obviously it’s not surprising but I still see myself with tears in my eyes in the near future.
I do take heart that Shaun also feels this way and will do all he can to help us find a new owner keeping us on the coast.

We have to make some noise. Let our local parasites at council know we are not happy. TAKE 10 Mins TOMORROW to ring them and make there life uncomfortable.

Ozhammer

I have been fortunate enough to actually read CCM’s proposal to take over the management rights at CCS and I have to say that, IMHO, it was a well constructed document that could have offered a very equitable arrangement for both parties.

My further understanding is that CCS currently costs council between $600k and $1M per annum, so that is clearly not a good return on ratepayers’ dollars.

But for some apparent short-sightedness from a council that seems to lack any form of genuine vision, we could have a situation that benefits a much wider proportion of our community rather than not really benefitting anyone.

pinklady

I would have thought that for something this big the club would already have been exercising some direct contacts with councillors? Any insights there?
Obviously not using the most direct contact that we have. The club has a Business Development Officer who is a former Gosford Councillor and whose father is a current Central Coast Councillor. Whilst that may seem an unethical approach I am surprised that Charlesworth hasn't tried to exert some pressure in this area.

marinermick

Obviously not using the most direct contact that we have. The club has a Business Development Officer who is a former Gosford Councillor and whose father is a current Central Coast Councillor. Whilst that may seem an unethical approach I am surprised that Charlesworth hasn't tried to exert some pressure in this area.

And here lies the problem. We have been really bad with our relationships with government since MC took over. We have been bad at playing the game, criticised council in the media and then get upset when our plans are not heard.

If we had such a good plan like Ozhammer says then why didn’t we ensure it got into the councillors’ hands? Where was the lobbying? Where was the meetings? What have we done to ensure we had some sort of read of the situation before we spent all our resources devising these plans? Why did we just choose to do these plans on our own without any council consultation or working with them?

Then we get upset when we submit a plan to some bean counters behind a desk, make no provisions for these plans to be considered by the councillors, and then it doesn’t get debated at a higher level.

In the old days we were fantastic at lobbying all levels of government and got things. Heck we were even given free land at Tuggerah because we had a councillor on our board. We constantly invited our politicians to events, our owners had meetings with them, they had coffee, they included them in plans, and they made them part of the journey.

What has MC done? Ignored them and slagged them off in the media.

Was it even a surprise we got this result? Total amateur hour.

FFC Mariner

Excellent post.
Did we hire lobbyists? (That's a rhetorical question by the way)
Listening to the outstanding pod I think I heard SM say that the people running the stadium didn't like our proposal?
How strange that Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
In B2B sales if you get a no and your proposal is compelling it's either personal or the person you are selling to isn't the decision maker (or both)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred