• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 22 - Nix @ CCS

booney

Pity Baro is no longer at the club. He and Ziggy would have been a good combination though of short stature.Miller should be groomed to play CB-the season is long gone so why not give him a go .Can Hatch play RB? I have never seen him play so not sure whether he left footed or not.Clisby has improved as the season has gone on so needs to stay at LB for the time being.

FFC Mariner

What I dont understand is it must be obvious to Staj that our strongest starting 11 is far worse than any other in the AL. So do the basics.
Defend deep
Narrow
2 Banks of 4 close together, dont allow the opposition to play between the lines
Be good at set pieces.
Maybe 4411 or 451.
Yes you are boring, but you minimise the damage and can nick the odd result here and there.
Football 101, at 1st be hard to beat

Big Al

What I dont understand is it must be obvious to Staj that our strongest starting 11 is far worse than any other in the AL. So do the basics.
Defend deep
Narrow
2 Banks of 4 close together, dont allow the opposition to play between the lines
Be good at set pieces.
Maybe 4411 or 451.
Yes you are boring, but you minimise the damage and can nick the odd result here and there.
Especially with a squad who can’t score

Forum Phoenix

He is too slow and immobile for that role. SO many times the attack comes in behind him,leaving Kim, Stens or out of position Ziggy to do his work. If he can't play as a CB he shouldn't be in the squad.

He’s still far from the finished article. His major ball watching oblivious to the run on the first goal as a prime example. But...
I he’s good on the ball, has been causing defenders headaches, competes hard and wins his share of tackles. But he doesn’t read the game or his role as well as he needs to.

However as a first season step up from youth. One of the best we’ve had in a good while imo. Will only get better and clearly capable to play at this level.

Ozhammer

IMHO Staj’s biggest error seems to be that he is trying to coach the team to play his ‘style’ of football, instead of trying to win games or be hard to beat.

I guess that might speak to his inexperience at this level and you can bet it’s a much tougher ask to shape our bunch into a cohesive side than it was managing the best female players in the country.

Forum Phoenix

Defend deep
Narrow
Be good at set pieces.
Maybe 4411 or 451.

Ozhammer and I had pretty much this exact discussion today.

marinermick

IMHO Staj’s biggest error seems to be that he is trying to coach the team to play his ‘style’ of football, instead of trying to win games or be hard to beat.

I guess that might speak to his inexperience at this level and you can bet it’s a much tougher ask to shape our bunch into a cohesive side than it was managing the best female players in the country.

Speaks to being a product of the curriculum and a consequence of the dogmatic zealots teaching this at the FFA. Staj was there. Okon was the same. Talay has evolved.

ballantyne

If we keep conceding 3 a game, as looks likely, will we set a new record at 73?
That would give us most spoons, most consecutive spoons, most defeats and most GA all in one go.
That alone would surely be enough to change tactics to bus parking?
This team would now be motivated by draws, yes. Gotta work with what you have.

turbo

Failing to turn some of our losses in to draws is the difference between us and the jets on the ladder. Not only that but the jets second game and both wsw games were major candidates for games we really should have been able to draw rather than lose. It would have closed the gap on them by 3 and 6 points respectively leaving us in a much better position to dodge the spoon. Only Sydney and Adelaide have similar draw figures but they both have a lot more in the W column.

Last edited:

ballantyne

Yeah, it's like the coaching staff believed their own hype. If they'd approached the season on the basis that every point was a 90min struggle and away win percentage would be zero, maybe the players would be trying harder.
Right now they are acting like they've been let down.

Big Al

He’s still far from the finished article. His major ball watching oblivious to the run on the first goal as a prime example. But...
I he’s good on the ball, has been causing defenders headaches, competes hard and wins his share of tackles. But he doesn’t read the game or his role as well as he needs to.

However as a first season step up from youth. One of the best we’ve had in a good while imo. Will only get better and clearly capable to play at this level.
With time and experience you can develop those mental errors. The game is a little to fast for him at key moments. But is doing really well and has some hunger.

Some good coaching and training development he could be really good

Wombat

Defend deep
Narrow
Be good at set pieces.
Maybe 4411 or 451.

I hate 451 but that's what probably what i would be playing. However Simon is the only player capable of playing as a isolated 9.

I wouldn't mind looking at Jair alongside Harold as our strike force. Or we could play Harold in his proper possie.

Harold is a player I would like to keep regardless.

Big Al

I hate 451 but that's what probably what i would be playing. However Simon is the only player capable of playing as a isolated 9.

I wouldn't mind looking at Jair alongside Harold as our strike force. Or we could play Harold in his proper possie.

Harold is a player I would like to keep regardless.
Jair has the speed to go with Harold. Could be a good combination especially with Jair just scoring. Harold on the break whipping in a cross can work when you have speed

AuzDutchy

Harold has really looked good since joining. His header on the weekend was only an inch or 2 wide.

Harold up front with someone, or even by himself with decent service, seems like he will score goals

nikko

Suspended
Defend deep
Narrow
Be good at set pieces.
Maybe 4411 or 451.

If Plan A is not working, just do Plan A again but try harder

ballantyne

I don't understand this curriculum. All the data points to the avoidance of conceding as the primary objective. Concede one: unlikely to win. Concede 2: very unlikely to win. Concede 3: lose. Champions earn more points from clean sheets than spooners' total points.
So why does this curriculum include deliberately increasing your GA?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami