• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Offsider

They have the Mierzejewski cap money for DDS. Torres for Bobo with Ninkovic the other Marquee but don’t rule out the DDS for Sydney under a Timmy style Marquee rule by FFA;)

DDS would be straight swap for Mierzejewski in SFC eyes on a dollar and position swap but not quality.

SFC have screwed us before and won’t give us anything worth while. They will just put the big team pressure on. If we hold out long enough they will have to replace with some one else.

I’m not sure I follow your reasoning ........... you’re suggesting dds is $ worthy match for marquee money ????
Sfc have 4 visa spots open ............. dds would not take one of them I suppose that might appeal to them ???
I personally think dds is at crossroads in his career and spiralling down........... after last season he needs to show some pride and respect for his employer and put some runs on the board. Promising to do so like last season would not be good currency for him as he could just as easily keep sliding backwards ......... very risky business for a player demanding his dollars. So many young players don’t reach their potential and he is at that door I fear.
Monte would be a good mentor for him I imagine. :unsure::-|

pjennings

Make no mistake DDS can be a great player - but he needs to be playing. He just has a couple of things to work on to take a step up. You don't do that by sitting on the bench.

He is very good with the ball at his feet and at finding space. At the beginning of a movement he can send and receive a pass with ease. At pace though, while he can receive a pass well, his judgement on sending the final pass is often poor, mostly overhit, and it doesn't improve with better players around. Perez, Musti, Rogic, WeeMac, Flores and Pondeljak were all better at finding people at speed under pressure and that is just at our club. This is where a #10 excels and that is where he has the most work to do. That skill doesn't improve by sitting on the bench, it doesn't even improve in training, it improves under pressure in a game. If he had delivered on that part of his game we would not have finished with the spoon. It is all very well to say he is only a kid, but Okon built the squad around him and so expected him to deliver.

He is now 21. Arzani at 19 has played at a World Cup. Harry Kewell at 17 had played and scored home and away against Tehran in a our final World Cup qualifier in 1997 All footballers progress at different rates, but prodigious talents seem to come back to the pack if they don't make their break through early.

The other important deficiency he has is his goal scoring. He can pass the ball into the net as well as anyone - but if he needs to put power in the shot he invariably puts it wide. (At least he seems to keep it down under palm tree height).

DDS seems to possess enormous talent, but he is not the end product. The plain truth is there are hundreds of thousands of kids around the world with as much talent. That last 5-10% only comes from putting in the effort every day. Coming back from his injuries before the season seemed to show he is more than capable of putting in the hard work.

You can only think Vinnie is looking for another payday.

Gratis

I think that if DDS showed up now and worked hard and did well on the pitch the fans would actually respect him again for manning up

I don't think this is what will happen though. After a long period of stalemate I think the club will give in and let him go so that we're not spending $200k on nothing. That $200k can be put to better use and I suspect that that is the eventual conclusion to all this.

localpom

I think that if DDS showed up now and worked hard and did well on the pitch the fans would actually respect him again for manning up

I don't think this is what will happen though. After a long period of stalemate I think the club will give in and let him go so that we're not spending $200k on nothing. That $200k can be put to better use and I suspect that that is the eventual conclusion to all this.
It looks like it has to be the way. I guess we have already replaced him with WeeMac and we can spend the money where needed. 200k for our club is alot of money to not factor in. Think he will end up at Sydney who will find a way. Would love to see him back at training and working hard but can't see that happening.

Pirate Pete

I agree with the second bit.
With the first bit though I wonder how many people (fans) actually know what going on.
And if they really care.

I wrote pages and pages back when the "okon clause" was being talked about that he should go.
Got a few red crosses on that post.....
icon_smug.gif

Coastalraider

It looks like it has to be the way. I guess we have already replaced him with WeeMac and we can spend the money where needed. 200k for our club is alot of money to not factor in. Think he will end up at Sydney who will find a way. Would love to see him back at training and working hard but can't see that happening.

I agree that $200k goes a long way in a club like this.

But in a bizarre way, having DDS sit on the pine is a good investment for MC. He invests $200k to take up $500k of his cap. If DDS goes, he needs to find an additional $300k to make the cap floor.

Insertnamehere

I agree that $200k goes a long way in a club like this.

But in a bizarre way, having DDS sit on the pine is a good investment for MC. He invests $200k to take up $500k of his cap. If DDS goes, he needs to find an additional $300k to make the cap floor.
Plus he's not paying him until he turns up or pisses off so we effectively have that 200 to burn

Forum Phoenix

Make no mistake DDS can be a great player - but he needs to be playing. He just has a couple of things to work on to take a step up. You don't do that by sitting on the bench.

He is very good with the ball at his feet and at finding space. At the beginning of a movement he can send and receive a pass with ease. At pace though, while he can receive a pass well, his judgement on sending the final pass is often poor, mostly overhit, and it doesn't improve with better players around. Perez, Musti, Rogic, WeeMac, Flores and Pondeljak were all better at finding people at speed under pressure and that is just at our club. This is where a #10 excels and that is where he has the most work to do. That skill doesn't improve by sitting on the bench, it doesn't even improve in training, it improves under pressure in a game. If he had delivered on that part of his game we would not have finished with the spoon. It is all very well to say he is only a kid, but Okon built the squad around him and so expected him to deliver.

He is now 21. Arzani at 19 has played at a World Cup. Harry Kewell at 17 had played and scored home and away against Tehran in a our final World Cup qualifier in 1997 All footballers progress at different rates, but prodigious talents seem to come back to the pack if they don't make their break through early.

The other important deficiency he has is his goal scoring. He can pass the ball into the net as well as anyone - but if he needs to put power in the shot he invariably puts it wide. (At least he seems to keep it down under palm tree height).

DDS seems to possess enormous talent, but he is not the end product. The plain truth is there are hundreds of thousands of kids around the world with as much talent. That last 5-10% only comes from putting in the effort every day. Coming back from his injuries before the season seemed to show he is more than capable of putting in the hard work.

Great post PJ. Spot on with every word.

Only thing I might add is that great character in the modern footballer is getting harder to come by. And it has to be nurtured and developed just as much as technique.

From Pele to Messi, good humble men of great strength, to strong egos/personalities like Maradonna and Ronaldo.

DDS has not shown a strong character, and this episode is the worst thing for him.

I ‘think’ I’ve finally figured out what happened when he went away with the under 23’s and was never the same when he returned.

The fact our season was not shaping up how it was hoped at the Mariners, combined with players at other clubs making him envious / feeling ripped off, always seemed likely. But I think Grella was the missing ingredient.

When a player feels that way he speaks to his agent. And what does an agent say?

Well based on his attitude and performance when he returned, it clearly wasn’t, pull in your head, put it down and get to work.

I suspect he was told, yes, you’re too good for the Mariners. It was a mistake. (and maybe that’s true tbf - the mistake part I mean) but don’t worry we’ll get you out no problem. They don’t deserve you,

Disastrous ideas to put in s Young players head.

And if Daniel already had those ideas himself, then his agent and those he listens too failed to sort it out and get him to do the only thing that ever makes a player become great. Playing and training, every game and every moment, with everything you’ve got.

Last edited:

scottmac

Suspended
Not RVN - but my guess is someone that would be a Ruud signing
He hasn't played much in the last 2 years but has been keeping fit by training with an erdivise side which he used to play for. 7 games in 2 years I think. Tall and strong and not scared of taking on a challenge outside of his home country. Could be interesting if it is him.

scottmac

Suspended
We'd want to do an extensive medical cause hes had alot of time on the sidelines with injury. Kind of makes sense looking at the rest of our signings

Coastalraider

He hasn't played much in the last 2 years but has been keeping fit by training with an erdivise side which he used to play for. 7 games in 2 years I think. Tall and strong and not scared of taking on a challenge outside of his home country. Could be interesting if it is him.

Boymans?

scottmac

Suspended
Yeah that's my guess. Fits our bill as a cheapie. The ankle injury he had in 2016 seems to have ruined a promising few years in the eredivise. He was scoring 1 every other game before and just after the injury but wasn't resigned so he left to Asia and only lasted 7 games before a change of coach put him out of the preferred squad. He has a very chequered history with lower leg injuries in particular calf and ankle.

bikinigirl

. good post PJ ... and also remember that Rogic & Amini were younger when they were with us

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred