• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Matty can't carry our forward line like he used to though.
We've made a lot of defensive signings. I'd just like to know what their plans with a striker are, 1 or 2 signings? Somebody on here suggested we might still have a fair bit of money available for a good striker signing. Looking like we won't have one for the FFA cup though. And without more fire-power, we're still wooden spoon contenders

Woollybutt

Millar played at RB with Melbourne City and RM?RW with South Melbourne. The feedback from South Melbourne is that he has a great engine but his decision making approaching goal is not great. Maybe, he has been signed as a RB.
I did have a feeling we might end up with a very under the radar signing at right back, and this would fit. There just aren't that many A-League standard fullbacks available at the moment, and most clubs aren't willing to use an import spot on a fullback. I thought we might push for Retre if we were willing to let De Silva go to Sydney, but Millar seems like solid cover at right back and right wing. Having McGing and Millar as our right back options isn't ideal, but if the team is set up well we should be able to cover that weakness. If Liverpool can win the Champions League with Djimi Traore at left back then we can make the six with McGing.

Woollybutt

We've made a lot of defensive signings. I'd just like to know what their plans with a striker are, 1 or 2 signings? Somebody on here suggested we might still have a fair bit of money available for a good striker signing. Looking like we won't have one for the FFA cup though. And without more fire-power, we're still wooden spoon contenders
Maybe the striker plan is to get Garcia to put in a good word with Torres ;)

Offsider

Most of Mulveys signings have had proven A league experience at a young age...Clisby, Aspro, Gameiro, Matthews, Shabow, or have proven experience as in Cisse, Simon and Weemac. So far i have no problems with any of these signings. With good management and encouragement guys like Berry, Rowles, Hoole and Pain can also turn into very good players. With what we have we still need 3 or 4 very good signings but must have a decent amount still to spend.

Yes........... but once again I find myself in the same place as last season. Confident of okon, his reputation, his past endeavours etc etc..........
Unfortunately the wheels fell off okon’s wagon .......... Mulvey has assembled a good looking support group, but “The proof of the pudding will be in the eating” ............ at least with more confidence due to hopefully learned lessons and a different recipe from the coaching staff looking strong and determined.
I would appreciate it if people would recognise that although I am sitting on the fence, it should not disqualify me from thinking that ccm is the team in the a-league that I want to follow, and for them to be competitive.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

True but I feel like Okon had different experience that we hoped would carry across . Like most of the team, he was unproven potential.
Mulvey, on the other hand, Has proven himself. Okon never did at this level.
And we also look at the cultural changes he is implementing And the mass clean out.
I hear your concern that we are saying a lot of things we said this time last year But there are a lot of differences.
I think last year we let our hope cloud our judgement on Okon a bit too much

Offsider

True but I feel like Okon had different experience that we hoped would carry across . Like most of the team, he was unproven potential.
Mulvey, on the other hand, Has proven himself. Okon never did at this level.
And we also look at the cultural changes he is implementing And the mass clean out.
I hear your concern that we are saying a lot of things we said this time last year But there are a lot of differences.
I think last year we let our hope cloud our judgement on Okon a bit too much

and of course Mulvey is ex ManU ..............:overheadl::overheadl:

I should point out that for me this season will be one of the best ........... there a lot of clubs upping their youth program players and the time is right for the next arzani to come forward.

localpom

I did have a feeling we might end up with a very under the radar signing at right back, and this would fit. There just aren't that many A-League standard fullbacks available at the moment, and most clubs aren't willing to use an import spot on a fullback. I thought we might push for Retre if we were willing to let De Silva go to Sydney, but Millar seems like solid cover at right back and right wing. Having McGing and Millar as our right back options isn't ideal, but if the team is set up well we should be able to cover that weakness. If Liverpool can win the Champions League with Djimi Traore at left back then we can make the six with McGing.
Miller would probably be a bit Pedj like. Good engine but lacking a bit technically. He is young enough though to learn.

Ozhammer

This, wantaway DDS for Retre would be good business imo. Good young pro with ability to play in several positions and who shone at RB with the smurfs.

Woollybutt

This, wantaway DDS for Retre would be good business imo. Good young pro with ability to play in several positions and who shone at RB with the smurfs.
I fully agree on that, and I think he'd be more likely to come to us than O'Neill who was mentioned a few pages back. I hate to think of the Facebook comments if we did swap them though.

Pirate Pete

I fully agree on that, and I think he'd be more likely to come to us than O'Neill who was mentioned a few pages back. I hate to think of the Facebook comments if we did swap them though.
In the A league transfers and rumours thread it says Dutch & Swiss teams are checking out O'Neill.

scottmac

Suspended
I wouldn't entertain any swap deal. Wait till the Italian window and have Roma take him back if he's that keen to get out. Then he's their problem and Grella can work a deal for him with Sydney when he gets the arse

Big Al

In the A league transfers and rumours thread it says Dutch & Swiss teams are checking out O'Neill.
Perfect. Send us O’neill and then we can sell him to the interested parties.
Never plays with us so he happy and we get cash and rid of DDS.
Everyone wins

So effectively we get the transfer fee from O’Neil to bypass the FFA rules in getting paid by SFC for DDS.

Sometimes you just got to be a little creative to get around the rules

MagpieMariner

I don't remember Matty doing much carrying our forward line when he was here. My memories have him doing a fine job alongside another e.g. Macca, Sasho, even Macalister. When he was here, I don't recall him showing the skills needed to carry the line solo. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have him back, and hopefully his skills have been sharpened by working with the class he had around him at SFC. One thing he was always good at though (after his first season :() was finding the inside of the net. In that regard our forward line has already improved.

Reactions: adz

FFC Mariner

Pardon my maths but isnt DDS (aka stupid spoilt little shite or SSLS) on strike perfect for MC?

We save $200k pa and the extra $300 is included in our cap but doesnt have to be spent

No wonder he has dug his heels in

Tevor

Have a friend at SFC and he is always pretty good on the rumours, he said they are now looking at McLaren and Halloran since Torres went US and I always give it to him about DDS. He thinks it’s all rumours and SFC are not keen which does make sense as they still have Ninko. Very interesting to see how this plays out for DDS as i’m starting to get the feeling we should also not waste our time thinking of swap players.

scottmac

Suspended
Pardon my maths but isnt DDS (aka stupid spoilt little shite or SSLS) on strike perfect for MC?

We save $200k pa and the extra $300 is included in our cap but doesnt have to be spent

No wonder he has dug his heels in
I'm not sure I've asked the question of Shaun if he was inside or outside the cap last year. If outside then no it doesn't benefit his bottom line

pjennings

I'm not sure I've asked the question of Shaun if he was inside or outside the cap last year. If outside then no it doesn't benefit his bottom line

He was inside. He may have gone outside if we bought someone in January. That meant we potentially were spending 2.135M plus DDS.(2.285M from CCM, .35M from Roma). If he goes we are likely to have to spend $2.89M or $600,000 more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred