• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2023/2024

Corsair

My memory is a bit shady - but he had the own goal in the AFC Cup, the 3rd goal you refer to and wasn't he a bit lax in one of goals against Sydney in the Australia Cup. He reminds me of a cross between Rowles with his demeanour and Matty Simon with his long ungainly legs (when he was contesting a ball). Plenty of upside though - he is still young and Kye mad plenty of mistakes when he was younger.
I like his confidence and that he's not afraid to have a go, part of why he seems to be developing quickly.

Big Al

My memory is a bit shady - but he had the own goal in the AFC Cup, the 3rd goal you refer to and wasn't he a bit lax in one of goals against Sydney in the Australia Cup. He reminds me of a cross between Rowles with his demeanour and Matty Simon with his long ungainly legs (when he was contesting a ball). Plenty of upside though - he is still young and Kye mad plenty of mistakes when he was younger.
He did. Outstretched leg with bad body positioning.

He will make mistakes it’s the nature of young defenders.

Has some positioning issues here at the next level but the right coaching can help him.

Desperately needs Brian next to him and to play consistently together to build a partnership. To inexperienced to be the lead CB and can’t play on the right.

Play’s a killer ball if given the space. Have seen at least three defense splitting balls that have gone through the whole team and opened up our attack on goal.

Growing pains but can see a quality player there.

The Rowles comparisons on mistakes but showing quality are very accurate

turbo

He will make mistakes it’s the nature of young defenders.

Has some positioning issues here at the next level but the right coaching can help him.
At what point is that unfair to Hall or Windust though? Yes young players will make mistakes but a small patch of poor form relegated Hall to the bench and he’s been barely seen since and only out of necessity. Fair enough perhaps when Triantis excelled but now you have to wonder why one is getting benefit of doubt over the other.

Big Al

At what point is that unfair to Hall or Windust though? Yes young players will make mistakes but a small patch of poor form relegated Hall to the bench and he’s been barely seen since and only out of necessity. Fair enough perhaps when Triantis excelled but now you have to wonder why one is getting benefit of doubt over the other.
If it wasn’t Mariners I’d say I’ve already seen enough to bench him. But we want to develop him so only playing can do it.

It’s not heaps of mistakes it’s just noticeable when made.

While Kaltak is out got to stick with him.

I’d give him a few more and see if he keeps learning and developing. If the mistakes don’t improve then Hall and Kaltak should get a go.

Wombat

I actually thought Paull had his best game so far apart from the 3rd goal but no where near Traintis level.

Thought Hall had a good game.

Great to see Theo score.

Farrell was poor defensively but so good offensively.

Niz was brilliant as usual. Balard was a bit wasteful with his passing but got better as the game went on.

Di Pizio looks the goods.

Torres is going to be great for us.

Tulio was decent.

AuzDutchy

If it wasn’t Mariners I’d say I’ve already seen enough to bench him. But we want to develop him so only playing can do it.

It’s not heaps of mistakes it’s just noticeable when made.

While Kaltak is out got to stick with him.

I’d give him a few more and see if he keeps learning and developing. If the mistakes don’t improve then Hall and Kaltak should get a go.
Paull is 20

Hall is 24

i think this is why Hall kind of got left aside, there are younger players with a higher ceiling for potential around
and i say this as someone who rates Hall as decent enough for Aliga

JoyfulPenguin

Paull's problem so far has been positioning and body shape.

If that's getting better and improving in training then he should continue to start. If not, both Hall and Windust deserve minutes.

I agree with the sentiment that Hall was dragged for an entire season for mistakes less costly than Paull's have been.

While it would be good for Paull's development to continue to start it would be terrible for squad morale if he is untouchable regardless of performance.

Last edited:

Tevor

I like the way that everyone is referring to Brian (1st full time contract last year) as our experienced left back.
Agree, I like the brickwall but he had Triantis next to him for most of the season. I'm not convinced the brickwall is going to be as good this season. I really hope he is better but he isn't going to have it as good as last season. Defence a huge concern for me this year, I feel we will lose plenty of points due to a very leaky back four. If it wasn't for Vuka the Reds could have put 6 past us last game but that was a bit of an unusual situation (well I hope it was).

Corsair

After watching Windust in NPL games then stepping in fairly seemlessly last year when needed I thought he was a better prospect so far.

Maybe they like the way Paul punches the ball harder and more forward like Triantis?
Exactly, Windust has been too cautious, mostly playing sideways or backwards. Decent defender but needs further development and doesn't seem to be progressing as quickly as the others. Also physically not as impressive as the other guys. Paull is a mountain and mobile with it, Hally is fast and athletic. Windust just doesn't stand out, not bad but may be destined to be a squaddie.

turbo

I like the way that everyone is referring to Brian (1st full time contract last year) as our experienced left back.
Full time contract wise sure, but there’s something to be said for a bit of age & maturity plus natural leadership qualities. With Kaltak out it didn’t feel like the backline was being organised. Understandable somewhat in Adelaide but should have been sorted for this game, instead we lost Danny too and the lack of a voice at the back was clear.

Stuartmcateer

Maybe they like the way Paul punches the ball harder and more forward like Triantis?
He’s also a natural lefty. In the absence of an absolute stand out to play on that side he is probably the favourite.

A couple of the balls down the channel he has knocked the last few games don’t get played by hall or windust.

A few of the defensive issues are coming from pressure of not retaining the ball up top. Last night, Theo and DWH especially, our frontline were turning the ball over too cheaply - a number of times because we were looking to play too fancy.

Goal 1 - give ball away, long ball in behind faz, faz gets stood up 1v1 after chasing back. Yes Jack had a howler and should have saved it but the transition all started from slack ball retention.

Goals 2 and 3 also started from lax ball control up top. Yes we should have adjusted in transition better but we aren’t holding the ball up anywhere near as well as Cumdog or moresche were.

Tevor

He’s also a natural lefty. In the absence of an absolute stand out to play on that side he is probably the favourite.

A couple of the balls down the channel he has knocked the last few games don’t get played by hall or windust.

A few of the defensive issues are coming from pressure of not retaining the ball up top. Last night, Theo and DWH especially, our frontline were turning the ball over too cheaply - a number of times because we were looking to play too fancy.

Goal 1 - give ball away, long ball in behind faz, faz gets stood up 1v1 after chasing back. Yes Jack had a howler and should have saved it but the transition all started from slack ball retention.

Goals 2 and 3 also started from lax ball control up top. Yes we should have adjusted in transition better but we aren’t holding the ball up anywhere near as well as Cumdog or moresche were.
Don't forget Beni, he was great at holding it up and we do miss the Giraffe. I think you make a very good and valid point. Out attack still seems too eager leading to poor shots and turnovers. Expect this to continue to be a problem for us for the time being until the front find their rhythm and respect possession.

Coastalraider

I feel a lot of the ‘urgency’ with our forward movement is from DWH and Wilson seeing the Tulio/Torres combo and trying to keep up.

I think we would be FAR more composed and successful if DWH stops trying fancy flicks, back heels, cute taps ins and realises his role in the front line is banging in other people’s work.

Yorkshire Mariners FC

I feel a lot of the ‘urgency’ with our forward movement is from DWH and Wilson seeing the Tulio/Torres combo and trying to keep up.

I think we would be FAR more composed and successful if DWH stops trying fancy flicks, back heels, cute taps ins and realises his role in the front line is banging in other people’s work.
So he need to channel his inner Tony Cottee?

Ads

Pretty on the money there.

We are attacking well and making chances, but not a smoothe style of attack that moves the ball rather than the players.

The midfield end up pressing to high with this strategy and when ball is lost we are not prepared to defend on the front foot.

Which means lots of chasing, and then the back trying to nullify 4 to 6 opposition players flying forward.

centre mid

Hi everyone,

Thoughts on team as a whole is struggling.

The coach doesn't know his team. He doesn't know his formation.

Paul is not a league standard and Wilson to.

I'd be playing with 3 CBS in hall Farrel and kaltac.

Torres and kuol on the bench to come on as impact players.

Not the same team as last year, so new formation is needed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred