• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2023/2024

Insertnamehere

We've been told the fees on all those players were much less than people expect and the club is running in the red constantly. Any time we hear from Peil is to tell us about how the club is struggling financially.
Thats on Peil then. All those players should have attracted top dollar. If we're taking unders for the sake of sell ons or good relations, thats pretty stupid.

AuzDutchy

conspiracy theory

maybe Peil is crying poor so often to lower the overall value of the club making it easier for him to purchase at the end of the current arrangement

Rising Sun

conspiracy theory

maybe Peil is crying poor so often to lower the overall value of the club making it easier for him to purchase at the end of the current arrangement
Still baffles me how we went from Mike saying he needed to put in $1m a season, when we had no crowds and no transfer fee revenue, and now he have healthy crowds, healthy transfer stream whatever you believe about the actual amounts and other unplanned revenue such as the WC bonuses and yet we are supposedly losing more than ever despite only a seemingly small uplift in salary cap and back office expenditure

Insertnamehere

Still baffles me how we went from Mike saying he needed to put in $1m a season, when we had no crowds and no transfer fee revenue, and now he have healthy crowds, healthy transfer stream whatever you believe about the actual amounts and other unplanned revenue such as the WC bonuses and yet we are supposedly losing more than ever despite only a seemingly small uplift in salary cap and back office expenditure
cause the club is funding things properly now. well maybe not properly but alot better. that is a significant uptick in cost

Rising Sun

cause the club is funding things properly now. well maybe not properly but alot better. that is a significant uptick in cost
Funding what properly though - where are we investing extra? Genuine question if you have info on this, if you have insight, on where the money has been invested not a challenge.

As far as I know we went from paying the salary cap floor to the salary cap - about $250k difference. There may have been an uplift in back office staff but mostly they still seem to be understaffed and overworked.

There are plenty of little things like proper ice baths and new gym gear that add up but I don't see anything that in total wouldn't be covered by one of the transfer fees

Insertnamehere

Funding what properly though - where are we investing extra? Genuine question if you have info on this, if you have insight, on where the money has been invested not a challenge.

As far as I know we went from paying the salary cap floor to the salary cap - about $250k difference. There may have been an uplift in back office staff but mostly they still seem to be understaffed and overworked.

There are plenty of little things like proper ice baths and new gym gear that add up but I don't see anything that in total wouldn't be covered by one of the transfer fees
couldnt tell you. just going by Peil.

Consider even if we get decent fees, the losses to agents, solidarity payments, training fees to all clubs involved with players development, sell ons, players cut. all these are things that could result in the club losing bulk amounts of the fees. all the more reason we need to maximise the initial fee, rather rely on sell ons. Reality is we've probs received more in fees from solidarity/training fees than sell ons.

E: Does the APL or FA still take a cut of transfer fees too? As well as a distribution to the other clubs?

Last edited:

Rising Sun

couldnt tell you. just going by Peil.

Consider even if we get decent fees, the losses to agents, solidarity payments, training fees to all clubs involved with players development, sell ons, players cut. all these are things that could result in the club losing bulk amounts of the fees. all the more reason we need to maximise the initial fee, rather rely on sell ons. Reality is we've probs received more in fees from solidarity/training fees than sell ons.
Solidarity fees are a maximum of 5% of the fee (and some of that would be coming due to us anyway).

Training fees to my understanding are paid by the buying club and not out of the fee.

As to whether players or agents get a fee is down to how we have negotiated. An agent would only get a fee if we have actually engaged one to facilitate the sale for us - go search for a buyer on our behalf. I don't think that is the case. It would anyway be a max of 10%.

As to whether the player gets any cut of the fee is down to negotiating and we are not doing it right if we are giving a big cut to players, especially as most of the ones we are selling are getting life-changing opportunities of some sort and would be highly motivated to move.

Yes I know that you don't keep 100% of transfer fees. But unless someone who is an expert on these things can explain otherwise, I would be amazed if you kept less than 80% of the fee. The idea that most of the fee disappears seems fanciful and would invalidate our business model of making the club sustainable by transfer revenue

Rising Sun

One concern I have is for next season given it will be the 3rd and final one of Peil's try-before-you-buy.

He is on record as saying he wants and needs to actually make a profit, and based on what he has said, that doesn't seem possible. Junior is overseas so that incentive to remain has gone. So where is his incentive to continue?

He must have some clarity now on what he is going to do. If he has already decided he is going to opt out, what protections do we have to ensure that short term decisions are not being made?

E.g. it makes sense to speculate to accumulate with Nizzy - go over budget on salaries to pay him more on the basis of a possible future transfer fee. But if that fee doesn't come until the end of next season then there is no incentive for Peil to invest. Or what is there to stop him having fire sales in the next two windows - just selling players for whatever he can get to maximise his income?

Kripple

Gym gear donated by England's women team after world cup apparently.

pjennings

TBH I suspect the only way we can be sustainable on an ongoing basis is for very substantial investment at Tuggerah for a small boutique ground (5000-10,000) and clubhouse.

As much as I like the stadium it is simply draining resources with little upside without a big crowd. If we only played, SFC, WSW, Scum and NYE at the stadium where a return could be made - then the remainder at smaller ground Tuggerah with a clubhouse attached then a year on year costs would be substantially less.

Apparently Mike retains Tuggerah currently and Richard is funding the club. How that sort of arrangement for a small ground and clubhouse would work I'm not sure.

Rising Sun

TBH I suspect the only way we can be sustainable on an ongoing basis is for very substantial investment at Tuggerah for a small boutique ground (5000-10,000) and clubhouse.

As much as I like the stadium it is simply draining resources with little upside without a big crowd. If we only played, SFC, WSW, Scum and NYE at the stadium where a return could be made - then the remainder at smaller ground Tuggerah with a clubhouse attached then a year on year costs would be substantially less.

Apparently Mike retains Tuggerah currently and Richard is funding the club. How that sort of arrangement for a small ground and clubhouse would work I'm not sure.
Agree in theory but I think the investment would be too great, even if we could get some government grants. It would also turn CCS into a tenant-less white elephant so the council would sell it off for residential units. So there would be no stadium available for the big games.

midfielder

Over the years a number of well connected folk told me the stadium was controlled by some RL dinosaurs who wanted a RL team there and had a dream of the Northern Eagles returning or a Sydney team moving up.

Current stadium rights holders in Venues NSW are showing no feel for Football, look at Newcastle's game and we have multi league games in and around some of our key matches.

Whether it would work or not, but a 10K stadium at the COE is only 12 to 15 rows, and if steep only needs a small roof.... throw in all food and drink sales ... plus a small club... can only dream...

FFC Mariner

Over the years a number of well connected folk told me the stadium was controlled by some RL dinosaurs who wanted a RL team there and had a dream of the Northern Eagles returning or a Sydney team moving up.

Current stadium rights holders in Venues NSW are showing no feel for Football, look at Newcastle's game and we have multi league games in and around some of our key matches.

Whether it would work or not, but a 10K stadium at the COE is only 12 to 15 rows, and if steep only needs a small roof.... throw in all food and drink sales ... plus a small club... can only dream...
The council own CCS. They are all NRL fans and have consistently done nothing for CCM.
Anyone else think they would laugh at anyone trying to build a new ground that costs them?
They would never allow it.

dlanod

Honestly, how that arrangement works at all is mind boggling. At the time it seemed like a way for Mike to keep sucking money out of the club, and now... well, still the same story.

Rising Sun

I had my first trip to No 2 Sportsground when the ladies played the Jets, and its a very tidy little facility. It cost around $7.5m but thats around 12 years ago. With inflation I reckon it would be $10m for something similar today.

The capacity is supposedly 5,000. There is seating for about 2,500 down one side of the ground but only about 500 of those are undercover. The rest of the capacity is via a small hill on the remaining 3 sides. The facilities are basic. The TV cameras were positioned on the walkway at the back of the grandstand. There was a basic canteen selling snags and soft drinks; beer was courtesy of a local micro-brewery who were selling cans out of an esky and with a table they brought themselves. A lovely little venue for ALW but well short of hosting ALM games. I reckon you would need double that investment, probably treble if you wanted to go to 10k.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred