• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaysideMariner

Staj is an Anton hire - he is quite safe. Other senior leaders..................maybe not so much, will be interesting to see who the scapegoat is this year
The coach needs to be safe. We cannot continue to churn coaches. Staj is trying different formations, different players trying to get a different result. Yes at times it seems like he tinkers. But at least he is trying to get a result.
I would have him over our previous coaches. I am glad that you think he is safe. He deserves the opportunity to build his own squad next season.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Staj is in a tough place - we complain about him tinkering, but when he's had a good structure and kept it the next week, we've been torn apart because the other team has adapted to the plan.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah he's made some mistakes - particularly at the back imo, but I can't blame him for a decent amount of the tinkering - given it was dropping players who mostly deserved it or promoting players lie Miller and Nizzy who did. Coaches typically can't find their best 11 when players repeatedly make individual errors and not many consistently put their hands up.

Staj began by clearing out Hoole and Kennedy. Then moved Weemac, Melling and Shabow down the pecking order. At different stages he also deservedly tried to drop Simon, Clisby, then Silvera and even Djuric and Oar after their work rate dropped. And if it wasn't for Simon, Jair and Majok also coming up short, I'm sure Muzz would have had significantly less game time too. He also dropped Fox but I'm just not sure on that one. And he brought in Miller, then Nizzy, and saw the potential in Stens from the get go. All decisions which required some balls.

What does that mean? He clearly sees the deficiencies in his squad and doesn't hide from them. But he couldn't make anywhere near the number of changes needed overnight. He's also not afraid of promoting talented youth. Or putting it back in check when needed – see Silvera and presumably Fox.

Going into this season IMO he had money tied up in no less than six players who are not HAL level, several more who are second string and several more who require further development. We only have a handful of genuine starting players.

Do I think he can improve, for sure, but no way I'm holding him responsible for this seasons poor finish. He needed a better squad.

Sacking Staj even if he was on a one year deal would be stupid. Sacking him and having to pay out another 2 years of wages would be insanity.

Michael

Staj will be fine. Couldn’t agree more with FP.
I’d say he’s only got his tactics wrong once or twice. The rest is purely on the players. Horrific criminal individual mistakes and severe lack of goal threat up top.
I’d say majok was one of the assistants calls. As staj clearly and rightly doesn’t trust the kid.
A total clear out isn’t needed, burning the dead wood is.
Wee Mac
Shabow
Melling
Majok
Simon
Jair
Clisby
Fox, something has happened there.
Murray, been given far too many chances and we’ve all tried to support him but I just don’t believe he’s up to it anymore.

turbo

A total clear out isn’t needed, burning the dead wood is.
Of your list I doubt we will see Clisby or Murray aggressively 'mutually' terminated so expect to see them next season but in a lesser role. If we are going to persist with Clisby in LB we need a capable understudy for when his form drops.
Majok I can live with as a relatively cheap gamble, there would have been some attributes that made him worth a look and seeing what we could do with him. Hasnt gone the way they hoped so cut him loose, no harm done there.

The rest clear them out and focus our resources on the first XI and then fill with some promising young players and squad players.

jacobsfl

Of your list I doubt we will see Clisby or Murray aggressively 'mutually' terminated so expect to see them next season but in a lesser role. If we are going to persist with Clisby in LB we need a capable understudy for when his form drops.
Majok I can live with as a relatively cheap gamble, there would have been some attributes that made him worth a look and seeing what we could do with him. Hasnt gone the way they hoped so cut him loose, no harm done there.

The rest clear them out and focus our resources on the first XI and then fill with some promising young players and squad players.

Clisby is great in the 5-3-2 setup as I feel his attacking skills are of great benefit to us. His lack of pace and general defensive ability is, however, a detriment. If our CBs were more competent, starting Clisby would look a little less like a joke. We've been prone to errors in this setup where the CB has miscommunicated with the wingback as to who is marking who, and then someone gets open. Having an experienced CB there might keep Clisby in there as a squaddie, or at least in my opinion. There's no hiding from the fact that most of our goals have come from his set pieces.

I believe Majok looked alright in trials - you can't bag him until he's been given a fair chance.

Last edited:

turbo

Our opinion on those players doesn’t really matter as they are contracted for next season. We won’t pay them out so they either get forced out mutually or will be around in some capacity. Murray can play on the wing when needed or as a back up striker but we can’t be relying on him for our goals. Clisby could take a back seat or we might decide to persist with him but need to find an alternative so we don’t end up depending on him.

Ads

How good if we could get some mutual terminations or loans for the bench/squad worthy players.

So could have a really good crack at better first 11, with youth bench.

But even then our quality first 11 with be hit or miss based on very difficult recruiting.

Forum Phoenix

Clisby is great in the 5-3-2 setup as I feel his attacking skills are of great benefit to us. His lack of pace and general defensive ability is, however, a detriment. If our CBs were more competent, starting Clisby would look a little less like a joke. We've been prone to errors in this setup where the CB has miscommunicated with the wingback as to who is marking who, and then someone gets open. Having an experienced CB there might keep Clisby in there as a squaddie, or at least in my opinion. There's no hiding from the fact that most of our goals have come from his set pieces.

I believe Majok looked alright in trials - you can't bag him until he's been given a fair chance.

Clisby is a very poor attacking player imo if you take away his dead ball and crosses. (Though he gets too many of those wrong for mine also).

Agree he’s been better in a back 5 with Km and Ziggy covering his ass, but he’s a poor substitute for a winger, no pace, can’t dribble, average passer and defensively, have said my piece, but could provide video evidence of him costing us at least 3 games.

much prefer a stable back four and proper wingers to provide our width, with two FB’s like Miller that have enough motor to get up and down and overlap without drastically exposing us.

Last edited:

jacobsfl

Clisby is a very poor attacking player imo if you take away his dead ball and crosses. (Though he gets too many of those wrong for mine also).

Agree he’s been better in a back 5 with Km and Ziggy covering his ass, but he’s a poor substitute for a winger, no pace, can’t dribble, average passer and defensively, have said my piece, but could provide video evidence of him costing us at least 3 games.

much prefer a stable back four and proper wingers to provide our depth, with two FB’s like Miller that have enough motor to get up and down and overlap without drastically exposing us.
I would personally get rid of him, yeah. But I'm just looking at the bright side in another dire season

Wombat

Clisby as a min wage cover LB no problem and the same with Majok...but we already have a cheap dud in Muzzy. Only one needed on min wage.

Ancient Mariner

Many here have probably forgotten that we have a third director appointed around the same time asAnton. I seem to remember his role was something to do finances. I cannot remember his role specifically but would be very interested to hear how his relationship with the Club is working out.

FFC Mariner

Many here have probably forgotten that we have a third director appointed around the same time asAnton. I seem to remember his role was something to do finances. I cannot remember his role specifically but would be very interested to hear how his relationship with the Club is working out.
Isnt he the big data guy from the States?

bikinigirl

. I had heard that all investor interest/queries went to him ... impossible for us to know how many have gone to him

... but it is clear how many have come through him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member