• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The EPL thread

Paolo

David Votoupal said:
Cahill hasn't let Everton or Australia down. Gerrard on the other hand set up winning goals for Arsenal and France rather than Liverpool and England :tv: :piralaugh:

I mean, do I have to list every midfielder in the history of the game that's been better? It'd take up too many volumes.
can confirm cahill has let everton down by being injured for significant parts of his contract.

Also you would be listing a shit load of players in the history of the game better then cahill...so what is your point?

p.s cahill is an english irish somaon, so your australia comment is irrelevent ;)

David Votoupal

When you measure Gerrard up against players like Scholes, Fabregas, Pirlo and Riquelme, he's found wanting. When you measure him against past players like Brooking, Hoddle, Brady, Platini, Antognoni, Cardeosa, etc... he's found wanting. Even against past box-to-box players like Platt, he's found wanting too.

hasbeen

David Votoupal said:
When you measure Gerrard up against players like Scholes, Fabregas, Pirlo and Riquelme, he's found wanting. When you measure him against past players like Brooking, Hoddle, Brady, Platini, Antognoni, Cardeosa, etc... he's found wanting. Even against past box-to-box players like Platt, he's found wanting too.

Spoken like a true one-eyed Everton supporter ... you'll  be telling me next Cahill's better than Gerrard ...

TerrigalUtd

EVERTON new boy Jo has hailed Socceroo star Tim Cahill as 'magical' and believes the Aussie can help make him a better player.

The 21-year-old has just joined the Toffees from Manchester City and the switch seems to have transformed his fortunes.

He celebrated his debut by banging in two goals in the win over Bolton Wanderers and he has been swift to praise the part played in his tremendous start by both Cahill and Mikel Arteta.

He told the Liverpool Echo: "I have no doubt that working with Tim and Mikel will help improve my game and make me a better player in the long run.

"They are magical players and you could see that from their performance against Bolton. They made things a lot easier for me and helped create a lot of chances."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/96014,cahill-hailed-as-magical.aspx

Had to post this somewhere :)

scottmac

Suspended
hasbeen said:
David Votoupal said:

Spoken like a true one-eyed Everton supporter ... you'll  be telling me next Cahill's better than Gerrard ...

Well........now that you mention it...........

tuftman

scottmac said:
hasbeen said:
David Votoupal said:

IMHO Cahill is the best player not playing for a top 4 club (ManYoo, 'Pool, Aston Villa and Chavski ;) ) I wouldnt mind seeing him at a top club though just to see how he would fit in, and whether he would be a starter or a benchwarmer

serious14

Gerrard is shit.  End of.  Always trying the miracle ball...... just play the game you idiot.

Fookin' Scouse twat.  Will retire never having won the League.  Should have gone to Chelsea when he had the chance....... like he wanted to.  ;)

dibo

tuftman said:
scottmac said:
hasbeen said:
David Votoupal said:

IMHO Cahill is the best player not playing for a top 4 club (ManYoo, 'Pool, Aston Villa and Chavski ;) ) I wouldnt mind seeing him at a top club though just to see how he would fit in, and whether he would be a starter or a benchwarmer

he's not even the best player in his team - arteta is the heart of their midfield.

scottmac

Suspended
dibo said:
tuftman said:
scottmac said:
hasbeen said:
David Votoupal said:

he's not even the best player in his team - arteta is the heart of their midfield.

But Cahill is the reason they win games.

Azza-Mataz

scottmac said:
dibo said:
tuftman said:
scottmac said:
hasbeen said:
David Votoupal said:

apart from Torres, Gerrard practicaly carries liverpool! through europe as well!

Paolo

scottmac said:
dibo said:

Arteta wins them their games and is the only reason why they are in a position to win said games

Azza-Mataz

serious14 said:
Gerrard is shit.  End of.  Always trying the miracle ball...... just play the game you idiot.

Fookin' Scouse twat.  Will retire never having won the League.  Should have gone to Chelsea when he had the chance....... like he wanted to.  ;)

The miricale ball comes off evrey now and then - therefore him being the talisman of the club! Alonso dictates the midfield better anyhow!

David Votoupal

Precision and elegance are the hallmark of any class playmaker. Things like passing accuracy, shielding, touch, dribble, holding possession, vision, you know... those things that separate the class acts from the rest. You even get class players like that in our very own league periodically.

serious14

From Football365.com - F365's Top Ten Lower League Buys:

1) Tim Cahill
Is there a player more important to his club anywhere else in the Premier League? To use crude logic his goals have already been responsible for 13 of Everton's 40 points (i.e he has scored the goal that was the difference between a draw and a defeat or a win and a draw) this season, while last term a Cahill-less Everton started the campaign by picking up 13 points from the first available 30. With the Australian in the side, they only lost to Arsenal and Manchester United, and collected 40 points from 54. Signed for a piffling 1.5million from Millwall (for whom he scored 52 goals in 212 games) in 2004, Cahill's goalscoring record from midfield of one goal every three games is rivalled only by Frank Lampard (and Cristiano Ronaldo if you consider him a midfielder), and his spell convincingly filling in as an auxilliary centre-forward this season further illustrates his immense value.

;D

bulldogmariner

Truely one of the great players currently playing in the Premiership. Fans around the league love to hate him but respect him for his performances on the park. I would love to see him move to a bigger club for Australian football but dont see it happening as Moyes values him so highly.
I believe Moyes in one of the best 3 managers in the league along with Fergie and Wenger as he gets results on a limited budget and smaller squad size.

PS I wish they went to Newcastle 2 years ago when they were talking to both.

serious14

Another Football365.com piece:

"The bookmakers have heeded the warning: The odds on Manchester United achieving the quadruple plunged from around 20/1 last week to 14/1 on Sunday night in the wake of their demolition of Derby County and cruise through to the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

The three-goal margin over a side struggling to stay in the Championship will not have instigated the plummet. More likely, it was the latest ominous demonstration of the depth, talent and versatility of the squad at Sir Alex Ferguson's disposal that will have persuaded the bookies to recognise that the quadruple - although, having lifted the Club World Cup in December, it should be said that United are actually chasing a Quintuple - is a realistic possibility.

Rather than highlight the quality of the players absent at Pride Park, it was the performances of Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo in attack that served as the trenchant warning of the options available to Sir Alex. Presumably after a great deal of hard work on the training ground, the Manchester United manager has fostered an environment in which a ceaseless rotation of players and different combinations has seemingly become seamless.

Manchester United aren't just threatening to set new records this season. That would be too simple. What they're doing is contradicting established principles and proving that rotation can be implemented without any negative side-effects.

Since the start of the year, six different combinations have been used in attack and another half dozen in the centre of midfield and it is only opposing managers who are suffering for the uncertainty of who will be fielded. "It's impossible to prepare for playing against them. We watched them for six consecutive games and they played six completely different teams with different ways of playing. You can watch them in 60 consecutive ways but then they'll just change who plays where," complained Nigel Clough this weekend.

Preparation may not be an hot topic for debate when gossipers convene at the local pub but it matters. Consider the complaint of Juventus boss Claudio Ranieri last week in response to Luiz Felipe Scolari's exit: "We could have done without this change. Now the players will have an excuse and I, who had studied Scolari's team by memory, will have to start from the beginning. It will be another Chelsea and I will only have two weeks to get to know it."

Jose Mourinho famously - and presciently - named both teams the night before a Champions League tie between Chelsea and Barcelona two years ago; if he repeats the feat next Monday night then he will truly deserve to be regarded as special.

With so many players and so many options to choose from, Ferguson must be the envy of every manager in Europe. And nightmare. If the quadruple is achieved - and it is already all-but inconceivable United will finish the season with less than a treble - then it will be secured with Ferguson purposely defying a series of received wisdoms of modern-day management: no Makelele-type holding midfielder, no out-and-out front man even when Berbatov or Wayne Rooney are playing, and no apparent first-choice eleven.

And it is the impression that Ferguson is rotating without the anchor of an identifiable first-choice eleven that is perhaps the most remarkable aspect of United's relentless march. Ferguson's preference, this season at least, appears to be against having a preferred line-up in mind, ensuring his squad is permanently driven by internal rivalry - there will be no complacency shown on the training ground, that's for sure - and fresh legs are ready for future engagements. Therein is perhaps the clue to the reason why Manchester United seem so disconcertingly capable of achieving another unprecedented feat this season.

It is a great pity that Ferguson is so reluctant to talk to the press and so brusque whenever he agrees to an audience. Beneath that truculent, paranoid veneer is probably the sharpest mind in the football business. Perhaps it will be seen as a surprise that the Premier League's oldest dog is still experimenting with new tricks. But it ought not to be. Ferguson deftly follows football's tides closer than anyone else in the game and, just as constant evolution has been the theme of his 20-year tenure at Old Trafford, it is this dexterity which has underpinned his longevity."

The best example I can think of this in action was when the starting lineup for the Chelsea game at Trafford was named - I saw Giggs named at LCM (not to mention Fletcher as his midfield partner) and I thought "fark me Fergie, you're off your rocker".  Cue a 3-0 demolition with Giggs man of the match and Fletcher (later Carrick in the second half) positively immense.  Time and time again, he's proven that quite simple, he knows what he's doing, and anyone who ever doubts him will be proven a fool, incredibly close to 100% of the time.

The mere thought of a quintuple (Club World Cup, League, Europe, FA and League Cups - or a sextuplet if you want to throw in the Community Shield - and the even crazier thought that if we'd won the Super Cup it could have been a septuplet  :eek:) is beyond my mere mortal mind to even contemplate.  I considered last seasons double footballing perfection, I honestly think a quintuple would never be matched.  As far as I'm aware, no-one has matched the Lisbon Lions of '67 - to go beyond that achievement would be just......... wow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred