• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 20 - Sydney FC [H]

onto it

Whilst I am still licking yet another fresh wound, I have to shout out to the boys (well the starting 11 anyway) for really taking the game to SFC for the middle 80 minutes. It was an unfortunate error by Miller in the ninth minute and speaking to him post-game I would be confident he has learned something from it, so fair play to him. I can almost cop that we conceded two goals in the dying stages when throwing everything at Sydney, as it’s better to die on your feet than live on your knees as the adage says.

As much as I am still angry at MC for not funding the team (and the club) properly, I think the team played its heart out tonight and only the lack of front third quality cost the game. The deliberate $300k underspend could potentially have bought in one exceptional striker or even two decent ones.

Ah MC, you’ve done it again....:headbutt:
Yes, it really was an awesome performance from the lads. Most of the starting 11 can hold their heads high. Clisby, Stens, Kim, ZIggy were awesome. The score did not reflect the game.

Ironbark

Overall much happier with the quality of play and that it was maintained from last week.

Normally my blood would be boiling at the way the game unfolded and some of the calls...but it was to script and I have little actual care left. I didn't see the third goal as I switched the game off after the second goal.
The apathy has officially set in. Since the beginning I've gone to some crazy lengths to not miss a game. But now...
something broke in me during that disgusting derby farce.

Ancient Mariner

Something else I noticed about the game last night, was that even with a quality striker we would have struggled to score against that defence. It was solid.
I kept hearing cries of "shoot" from around me whenever we got within range, I thought that in each case the player on the ball was blocked well and truly and could not. I will watch the replay to check if my initial thoughts are correct.
I suspect that the only way through is with speed on the break and hit them before they are set. The other may be to have Messi on your team.
I did not see their recent AFC game where they got taken apart. It is another I must catch on replay.

A great legacy for Arnie to leave them.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
And what about fkn foxsmell and that ridiculous fkn interview with Staj after halftime just after kick off , the man had just had a stink in the tunnel with some minor smurf lackey and they distract him from his job, to try to get a negative reaction is my guess ....he should of surprised em and gave all and sundry a massive fkn spray ...NOW that’s entertainment value

Wombat

He tried to relocate us before and Gallop told him no... Gallop said you can hand back your licence but you can't move.

In part this was because any new team needed to pay FFA a joining fee license.

Given so many want in and the price of entry I can't see iHal or new FFA allowing him to relocate ..

Today I guess with my guess 1,500 SFC fans we got just over 5k... next match against a non Sydney or Jest team will be lucky to get 3K..

I think there comes a point when we may over stay our welcome... all clubs holding a Hal licence must met certain metric's few do but we are so far off the page it could be used to replace us.

Look at MC's record and nothing to date indicates next season will be any better, but if we finish with the spoon next year, five spoons and two second lasts over 7 years... crowds more than likely under 4k... Woolongong's looking good... so too is Canberra... I reckon the knives are being sharpen now...

Season === Place
=== 1====== 3 =
=== 2 ====== 6 =
=== 3====== 1 =
=== 4====== 4 =
=== 5====== 8 =
=== 6====== 2 =
=== 7====== 1 =
=== 8====== 2=
=== 9====== 3 =
===10======8 =
===11======spoon =
===12======8 =
===13======spoon =
===14======spoon =
===15======spoon = this year
=== 16 ===== ???????? next year...

Probably only 500 Sydney but you make a fair point.

soccer mad

Bottom line we were beaten by quality over quantity, but I won't bag the boys. They worked hard to stop the hemorrhage and get back in to the game it must be disheartening to have no end product plenty of ball was played in the box but no finish and as far as this season these issues wont be rectified . Now for club ,we raised 30+ k for the firies today which showed our tight community support the very thing you took your eye of the last 4 to 5 years if the club continues in the same vein we will be lucky to donate a $1 ,our end product is football this should be our main revenue stream coupled with community engagement . There no doubt that all businesses ebb and flow but what you have lacked is consistency so now we are in a position to buy back what was already there but you didn't protect . It wasn't that long ago we had 13 +k at the stadium but we had plenty to cheer about then even Singo knew how tap into the crowd and sell more shitty beer by bringing in Aloisi . I know it's just a rant I'm hurt like the rest of us .

Tim

I just watched the highlights (not the mini match) of the game on the A-League website and our “no goal” doesn’t even get included?? They can’t be serious!! A casual observer of the game wouldn’t even be aware of the massive controversy that marred this game!! Disgraceful and another reason to think that someone has really got it in for us! I don’t profess any significant knowledge of the game but surely we score and the game is very different in the second half at 1-1 and we don’t open ourselves up by gallantly chasing the game in the last few minutes and concede 2 more.

Staj has every right to go off at this! He’s been very good for us (calm and collected other perhaps in the tunnel) when he would have every right to go ballistic at this BS!!!

Coastalraider

Rd 18 - 2 goals conceded in 3 minutes - 52m + 5m
Rd 19 - 2 goals conceded in 2 minutes - 82m + 84m
Rd 20 - 2 goals conceded in 2 minutes - 89m + 90+1m

Id say given this trend that our defenders are well aware that conceding is the end of our chances. The heads drop.

They know that we struggle to score at the best of times, and coming back from a deficit is so unlikely its game over.

turbo

Did we miss Duric last night?
I thought our midfield transitioned and moved with much more fluency and threat than usual.
We missed his willingness to put his boot through it rather than dribble it over the line. Did we miss his recent form and speed in midfield? Not at all.

I kept hearing cries of "shoot" from around me whenever we got within range, I thought that in each case the player on the ball was blocked well and truly and could not.
There were definitely moments where it could have been on but the players took another touch or looked for a pass instead. That's ok sometimes but you do need to have a crack at it. Even if it wins us a corner thats a better outcome than losing it in a sea of feet trying to work it through the box.

Probably only 500 Sydney but you make a fair point.
I thought it looked like more from the stands but maybe it's what a realistic mid 5k looks like and it wasnt embellished? Still had zero car parking issues. The members side looked barer than usual so perhaps quite a few came over to GA to sit with their free ticket mates.

On DDS if he was playing DM he'd be getting the same praise Stensness is because he's doing a lot of the same things covering a lot of distance, making important tackles, etc.. but as an AM we arent getting that killer final ball or goals from him. There's nothing new there he's been working hard all year but unable to really own the play maker role. IMO if he's going to be here next year we need a rethink of his role because he can definitely contribute but perhaps not how we're asking him to.

Blackadder

Once again everything is normal, disallowed goal from VAR for something that happens in every game with out being pulled up.
Also the lack of finishing in the final third, and as sure as the Sun rises in the East the defense cracks and leaks easy Goals.

LFCMariners

Whilst I am still licking yet another fresh wound, I have to shout out to the boys (well the starting 11 anyway) for really taking the game to SFC for the middle 80 minutes. It was an unfortunate error by Miller in the ninth minute and speaking to him post-game I would be confident he has learned something from it, so fair play to him. I can almost cop that we conceded two goals in the dying stages when throwing everything at Sydney, as it’s better to die on your feet than live on your knees as the adage says.

As much as I am still angry at MC for not funding the team (and the club) properly, I think the team played its heart out tonight and only the lack of front third quality cost the game. The deliberate $300k underspend could potentially have bought in one exceptional striker or even two decent ones.

Ah MC, you’ve done it again....:headbutt:

And this is my issue as it stands. With that extra 300k spent where it's so clearly needed, CCM could've been right in and around the top 6 this season. They've had the tenacity and been fairly solid defensively. They've only leaked goals against WSW and last night when it became clear they couldn't get a result anyway. As a supporter, if I'm spending my money on the club, I expect a certain return on that investment (however small it may be). But when it's so obvious what the problem is and yet the individual/s responsible don't act, they're taking the piss out of me and anybody else who gives up their time/ money to follow this club.

marinermick

And this is my issue as it stands. With that extra 300k spent where it's so clearly needed, CCM could've been right in and around the top 6 this season. They've had the tenacity and been fairly solid defensively. They've only leaked goals against WSW and last night when it became clear they couldn't get a result anyway. As a supporter, if I'm spending my money on the club, I expect a certain return on that investment (however small it may be). But when it's so obvious what the problem is and yet the individual/s responsible don't act, they're taking the piss out of me and anybody else who gives up their time/ money to follow this club.

It’s actually less than 300k. Signing a 300k player would have meant we didn’t sign 65k-90k player. Technically we could have gone up to a 365k to 390k player.

Last edited:

jacobsfl

I just watched the highlights (not the mini match) of the game on the A-League website and our “no goal” doesn’t even get included?? They can’t be serious!! A casual observer of the game wouldn’t even be aware of the massive controversy that marred this game!! Disgraceful and another reason to think that someone has really got it in for us! I don’t profess any significant knowledge of the game but surely we score and the game is very different in the second half at 1-1 and we don’t open ourselves up by gallantly chasing the game in the last few minutes and concede 2 more.

Staj has every right to go off at this! He’s been very good for us (calm and collected other perhaps in the tunnel) when he would have every right to go ballistic at this BS!!!

You seem to forget that the A-League has a fond admiration for Sydney FC, and will do anything to make them look like world beaters.

jacobsfl

And what about fkn foxsmell and that ridiculous fkn interview with Staj after halftime just after kick off , the man had just had a stink in the tunnel with some minor smurf lackey and they distract him from his job, to try to get a negative reaction is my guess ....he should of surprised em and gave all and sundry a massive fkn spray ...NOW that’s entertainment value

I often find myself listening to local radio with the TV muted. I hate the Fox callers with a passion.

Big Al

Why sign $300k players

When you can sign foreigners for the bench and not play them.

Not saying they should of played, I agree with the decision as neither are pulling their weight

Our foreign recruiting has let us down

We have a RB who is being out played by a rookie CB, so we’ve thrown him in CB and he’s done alright but doesn’t have the technical knowledge of a proper CB and gets caught out on breaks.

Kim is actually coming good and has been good he gets a pass mark but is the only one

Duric has a cannon of a leg but is not producing after a great start. The diagonal balls are fantastic and has a great long range shot but is not linking with the strikers and know over shoots instead of drawing the defense and slipping a pass into the hole. Has gone from sign him immediately to not playing. Not good enough from our offensive midfield.

Jair. Well I’m sure that second shot on goal is coming. He looks to have a great touch and pace to help link up but is know where near the ball or goals when it counts. A possible victim of timing and our lackluster squad providing zero service. We know can’t afford to play him

And well there’s the NZ Aussie who somehow sued us and then was brought back for culture. He’d be almost up to 2 1/2 games by now.

Clean out 4/5 and get that right then our Aussie kids won’t have so much pressure and can be contributers instead of relied on to make it all happen

Big Al

It’s easy to bash SFC as getting all the calls and they do but you make your own luck and your class shines through you are more likely yo get the rub of the green.

I am not sure if i am happy with Staj blowing up or not.

Part of me says he has falln into the trap of blaming everyone else which he specifically said our club needs to break out of

The other part says stop being nice and demand action.

I feel the pressure of our ladder position shit players a tough league are starting to get to him.

We broke last years points total about a month or two ago everyone was ecstatic. I don’t think we have any points since

I still think he is the man for the job and should be judged on next year not this year

onto it

On DDS if he was playing DM he'd be getting the same praise Stensness is because he's doing a lot of the same things covering a lot of distance, making important tackles, etc.. but as an AM we arent getting that killer final ball or goals from him. There's nothing new there he's been working hard all year but unable to really own the play maker role. IMO if he's going to be here next year we need a rethink of his role because he can definitely contribute but perhaps not how we're asking him to.

We must be watching different games in parallel universes sorry to say Turbo, or else you are taking the piss. Perhaps I'll do a proper analysis of the game to show just what was happening out there, but for the moment this is what I figure blind Felicity could see if comparing these two:
- Stens is a DM, not an AM. DM is a mix of things but a DM not the main playmaker. In spite of that Stens made some wicked forward balls. Have a look at that stuff around the 25 minute mark.
- DDS is fancy dribbler, a forward but has little vision for a pass, and none for a goal.
- Stens is big and strong. His tackling, turnovers and interceptions are second to none in our team. He can hit long, accurate diagonals. STaj can see all this, which is why Stens is pretty much always a starter.
- DDS is good at turnovers too. I believe I saw him lose the ball to Sydney five times in a row at one stage.
- Stens is super fit and covers huge amounts of territory not just running, but smashing our opponents. DDS is weak and still trying to get fit.
- DDS must have one of the lowest passing percentages in the team (passes that hit the target), especially if your count the ones that never left his foot because he lost the ball. Stens has had some horror mistakes but normally has a very decent pass rate.
- Stens has the greatest number of one touch accurate passes of anyone in the team. Does FD even know what one touch is?

I am not anti DDS, and I think he has improved a lot in the last month but he is just another AM or forward who needs to be putting the ball into the back of the net. I think Nizzy is far more impressive in a similar role.
I may sound like a prick and this may sound like a shit serve against DDS, but football is a very competitive game and only real performance counts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami