• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R2 - Central Coast Mariners vs Macarthur FC at home

Insertnamehere

7, 9, 10 and 11 had this beautiful rotation under Monty. Players would slide and create space behind the lines.

In my opinion Nizzy is playing too high, almost a traditional number ten, rather than being an eight. This is creating a further crowding issue, making Tulio or Kuol obsolete at times.

It is also making us very vulnerable in the counter. Even more so when the fullbacks push high.

I am sure MJ sees this. How he will fix it and/or get the players to adhere to his plan will determine our season. MJ is either too ambitious or not ambitious enough at the moment. Time will tell whether he is a Monty or a Mulvey.
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is Alou is not a direct replacement for JC. This means that Niz and more so Tulio need to be the playmaker. Tulio and Alou can't interchange like JC and Tulio did. Thats going to take time to work.

Archie

Alou doesn't seem to do much of anything except run fast right now
yeah, so far I have more reasons to believe DWH > Alou, I'm sure he'll come good though, that's the same with Roux > Doka, and Theo > Wilson, it'll take time like usual for the new boys to gel but I trust that they'll all start putting in better performance soon.

turbo

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is Alou is not a direct replacement for JC
Not even just in terms of play style, there’s nothing to support the idea Alou would be anywhere near as prolific at JC was. DWH is probably a more rounded player but again it’s asking a lot for either of them to fill his shoes. That means we need others - particularly wings and mids putting away their share

Coastalraider

It seems we have a couple of forwards who like being cute, a couple who need service, and a couple under A-League standard as it stands. Combined with a midfield/midfielder and l/r backs all instructed to be high up the pitch, we have a 3/4 styles of combination that don’t actually suit the other styles right now. DWH seems to be trying to keep up in the ‘fancy’ stakes, Alou needs service but everyone’s to busy trying flick back heels, Nizzy is pushing but everyone is jammed in the same patch of grass, and our l/r midfielders haven’t sent a reliable cross in all season.

There’s talent everywhere, but they aren’t close to working as an inclusive unit yet. And that’s to be expected. But I’m sure the recruitment drive was done with an eye to sorting this system over the preseason, and Monty leaving has removed that gelling period, we are now trying to do it with a new gaffer, new system, and in the middle of our most densely scheduled match period for years.

This will take time.

marinermick

Not even just in terms of play style, there’s nothing to support the idea Alou would be anywhere near as prolific at JC was. DWH is probably a more rounded player but again it’s asking a lot for either of them to fill his shoes. That means we need others - particularly wings and mids putting away their share

It must be noted that Kuol left as a bench player and nothing changed whilst he was overseas.

Insertnamehere

It seems we have a couple of forwards who like being cute, a couple who need service, and a couple under A-League standard as it stands. Combined with a midfield/midfielder and l/r backs all instructed to be high up the pitch, we have a 3/4 styles of combination that don’t actually suit the other styles right now. DWH seems to be trying to keep up in the ‘fancy’ stakes, Alou needs service but everyone’s to busy trying flick back heels, Nizzy is pushing but everyone is jammed in the same patch of grass, and our l/r midfielders haven’t sent a reliable cross in all season.

There’s talent everywhere, but they aren’t close to working as an inclusive unit yet. And that’s to be expected. But I’m sure the recruitment drive was done with an eye to sorting this system over the preseason, and Monty leaving has removed that gelling period, we are now trying to do it with a new gaffer, new system, and in the middle of our most densely scheduled match period for years.

This will take time.
These drag back heel flicks fkn annoy me. There would have been a least 6 and none came off. Too much tricky dicky low % stuff.

Insertnamehere

But it also seems EVERYONE is trying to play that way. Alou and DWZ are simple players, but the number of times DWZ has taken the ‘cute’ option instead of the simple, direct option is killing me.
Meanwhile we aren't putting it overlap runs like last year. Except when everyone runs to the same spot in the box.

Ben10

Alou doesn't seem to do much of anything except run fast right now
He needs service, he needs balls into the box. At the moment our wingers cut inside and either shoot, lose the ball or pass it backwards. Keep the momentum going and swing a cross in every now and then or get to the byline and cut it back for Kuol to attack, this has to be a direction from the manager

shipwreck

Agreed. That's why Alou and DWH seem useless right now, they're both fast and speed means nothing when your wingers overlap and make it to the byline every time.

Insertnamehere

Agreed. That's why Alou and DWH seem useless right now, they're both fast and speed means nothing when your wingers overlap and make it to the byline every time.
Our wingers don't even overlap or make it to the byline. And they barely drive into the box.

Theo keeps doing stepovers and getting caught. Torres keeps cutting in and fkn shooting high and wide. Neither get many crosses in let alone effective ones like Smith did for the Kaltak goal.

Insertnamehere

I watched a tactical analysis of Ange at Spurs and one thing thats stuck with me is when they move the ball foward, as soon as the there's space on the ball all the attackers drive forward as fast as possible. Generally our guys have their back to the goal in this same moment.

booney

Also Alou is a good header of the ball but not getting that service from Theo or Torres who rarely cross.Torres did some good crosses in the AFC game but perhaps he doesn't get the time or room in the A-League. DWH does not have the height to challenge big defenders for crosses( and all A-League team have big CBs) so when he is on the team has to do things differently.
Alou and DWH do like to play off the shoulder and have the speed but again not getting the through passes or the dinks over the top allowing them to use their pace.Tulio did try one or two dinks but they did not come off.All in all our attack and ball transition is a work in progress and that is the coach's job to find the righr blend.Yes Niz,Tulio and Kuol did appear to be in each others way on Sunday.

Ancient Mariner

If you want to play him ten then you have to drop either Kuol or Tulio, and you play Steele or Tapp in centre midfield.
I would not mind seeing that as a trial. Nizz will have to start scoring though and Max will have to take over midfield distribution. Not sure it would work. Drop Kuol until we start playing decent crosses or play him on one wing with DWH on the other. Could be a step too far, Nizz has been our strength in midfield in the past.

Tulio with DWH or Kuol is not working. Maybe if he starts playing balls in behind for them to run onto, like Urena.

There should be lots of alternate plans that could work, but if MK cannot get the players working together it is going to be a long season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred