• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Ozhammer

Too much time between "seems" and okon walkout isn't there???
It would appear that okon had lost the change-room all around this time?? (the body language of the players said it all) ........ Although he tried to blame mc ............. I don't think anybody except dds was sorry to see him go ???
It is also inconceivable ......... that mc left money on the table ...... So to speak.:unsure::unsure:
Whilst I am not in the habit of panning MC, as I appreciate the reality of the economics at play with our club, I think the money was primarily left available to ensure the minimum cap spend more than anything else. When it didn’t get spent, DDS was moved back into the cap.

I know for a fact that it was the MVC defeat that sealed Okon’s fate with MC, so up to that point, he was going to be in charge until at least the end of the season and possibly beyond, which is a really scary thought. :eek:

Offsider

Whilst I am not in the habit of panning MC, as I appreciate the reality of the economics at play with our club, I think the money was primarily left available to ensure the minimum cap spend more than anything else. When it didn’t get spent, DDS was moved back into the cap.

I know for a fact that it was the MVC defeat that sealed Okon’s fate with MC, so up to that point, he was going to be in charge until at least the end of the season and possibly beyond, which is a really scary thought. :eek:

Whoa !!! >.............. So mc sacked him ???? Is that what you are saying???
More info pls :wub::wub:

adz

Staff member
Okon was blaming lack of spending in press conferences a lot after Christmas, so it is interesting if he actually had money available but chose not to use it.

Ozhammer

Surely it is widely known that Okon was sacked by now? It was certainly widely discussed on here at the time.

The whole smokescreen about him not being willing to accept greater oversight of his actions could be seen through from Cape York by anyone with any nous.

I still don’t understand why the club allowed him to say it was his decision To resign other than to perhaps avoid further backlash from his Golden Generation buddies?

Forum Phoenix

Yeah mitigating the backlash angle was my thought too.

I have little sympathy for the coaches who plead insufficient funds if they wanted in knowing the deal.

Okon was obviously not promised something and then it was not given. Or boy would we know about it.

However he promised a lot and did not deliver. And like DDS if he didn’t simply give up through the last third of the season, things might have gone very differently for him and he’d be in another job right now.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Hi Slimbo, welcome to the forum! Great to have you on board.

I only have one issue with this, and it’s the highlighted section above.

If DDS really had an out clause, which was based around transfer windows, then I agree that it would be smart play by him and his team too look at options during that period. And yes, I agree CCM should have given him confidence during that window to convince him CCM was his best option. However the Jets game wasn’t in that period, so he should have played. He is contacted. That period has now expired by all accounts, so he should be back at work. That’s what a contract is. He had in his advantage a window to escape the current contract, and he and his team have failed to find a team that would accept the convoluted terms of his loan deal. Failing to return to pre season when contractually obliged to do so is not acceptable, regardless of if he is being led by his management or not. MM may very well have been told he would not be here this season, based on Grellas desire to move him on during the window. That has not happened.

Back to work.
I have no idea about the circumstances surrounding the Jets game. I know he had a hamstring issue in the weeks leading up to the game. I was at the game where he was subbed with it. I haven't been in contact for over a week now but reading some of the comments here I suspect after the deadline MC put his foot down and said you need to train, which if true, is not unreasonable.

Forum Phoenix

No it’s anything but unreasonable.

Club would have very happily kept Daniel. Obviously.

But Daniel and his agent want to go elsewhere.
Obviously.

But he has a contract.

This is very simply about a player and manager wanting out of his contract because he’d like to be at bigger, better club.

I get that.

But I support my club. Not Daniel DeSilva.

And I don’t accept that the club needs to assure Daniel of their recruitment ambitions or anything of the kind. That’s a conversation when you’re signing a player. Not a year after they’ve signed and they still have years left on their contract - and as you say, you’re just a 21 year old - who has not delivered on his potential as yet. And he’s not a “kid” he’s a young man.

If he’s your friend. I understand and I do appreciate personal loyalty. But you are not soliciting sympathy from me Slimbo by pitching him as the victim. Except as a victim of very poor counsel, amd perhaps if as you say he is a lovely young man then allowing that counsel to nake him take actions and proceed in a manner that is guaranteed to make him look like he’s a disloyal upstart.

The club does not owe him anything - except per the terms of his contractual fee.

The club does not owe him an explanation for his own teams poor finish. Or to make promises of a better future. Though I find it hard to believe that Mike and Shaun and Monty were unwilling to make such positive noises.

Daniel is not a victim, he is a highly paid player who had the opportunity to play football every week at a good level, but would like to get out the contract he signed because he thinks it would be better for him.

The win win here should have been for him to play another 6 months and kick so much ass delivering on his vaunted potential that he secured a transfer offer in January we couldn’t refuse.

And his worse case should have been, continued to be paid very well to play week in week out in a club with a great history trying to turn their struggles around.

But instead they found another far worse case. A young player who desperately needs to be training and playing, does not, while his brand is being tainted, he loses the respect of his current teams fans and likely more than a few former team mates, and his lawyers make money hand over fist.

Well done Grella and co. A lose lose for all parties at present.

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Obviously.

But he has a contract.

This is very simply about a player and manager wanting out of his contract because he’d like to be at bigger, better club.

I get that.

And I don’t accept that the club needs to assure Daniel of their recruitment ambitions or anything of the kind. That’s a conversation when you’re signing a player. Not a year after they’ve signed and they still have years left on their contract - and as you say, you’re just a 21 year old - who has not delivered on his potential as yet. And he’s not a “kid” he’s a young man.

If he’s your friend. I understand and I do appreciate personal loyalty. But you are not soliciting sympathy from me Slimbo by pitching him as the victim. Except as a victim of very poor counsel, amd perhaps if ss you say he is a lovely young man then allowing that counsel to nake him take actions and proceed in a manner that is guaranteed to make him look like he’s a disloyal upstart.

The club does not owe him anything - except per the terms of his contractual fee.

The club does not owe him an explanation for his own teams poor finish. Or to make promises of a better future. Though I find it hard to believe that Mike and Shaun and Monty were unwilling to make such positive noises.

Daniel is not a victim, he is a highly paid player who had the opportunity to play football every week at a good level, but would like to get out the contract he signed because he thinks it would be better for him.

The win win here should have been for him to play another 6 months and kick so much ass delivering on his vaunted potential that he secured a transfer offer in January we couldn’t refuse.

And his worse case should have been, continued to be paid very well to play well in week out in a club with a great history trying to turn their struggles around.

But instead they found another far worse case. A young player who desperately needs to be training and playing, does not, while his brand is being tainted, he loses the respect of his current teams fans and likely more than a few former team mates, and his lawyers make money hand over fist.

Well said FP, great post.

centre mid

Ive been reading this forum every day for the last 2 months and id have to say "Dickhead Da Silva" is 90% of our talk and waste of time. The player himself on the ball is technically gifted better than the likes off Terry Antonis, Josh Brillante and so on...of our younger generation of Aus players but is more raw then a blue steak when it comes to being a top A league player. What he is doing to the club atm is similar to what coutinho did at liverpool. I think i speak for everyone when i say i dont give a f**k either way. If he stays he plays and i be happy. If he doesnt who cares.

Ozhammer

I have no idea about the circumstances surrounding the Jets game. I know he had a hamstring issue in the weeks leading up to the game. I was at the game where he was subbed with it. I haven't been in contact for over a week now but reading some of the comments here I suspect after the deadline MC put his foot down and said you need to train, which if true, is not unreasonable.
I know for a fact that he was fit enough to play against the Jets but chose not to, which is incredibly poor form on his part. From where I sit, his attitude smacks of him seeing himself as too good for our team, which is pretentious in the extreme considering his actual contribution across the whole season.

At that point in time he had clearly decided (or had been convinced) that his future lay elsewhere and the expectation was that the next suckers ready to take a punt on him would soon come along. Imagine his surprise that it hasn’t come to pass, so perhaps someone close to him needs to just remind him that reputations (both good and bad) are earned not automatically bestowed.

Spacks

Adding to that, if you get the reputation of being incredibly selfish and ambitious it's not going to look favourable in the future.

Big Dog

Not seeking sympathy for DDS nor saying he's a victim. Not even suggesting that currently he's doing what's best. Just felt to respond to comments that he is pretentious, only after money etc, when I know that's not the case. I understand we all have our opinions so happy to leave it there.
Happy to move on and talk about the Mariners and what lies ahead this season. Thanks for being civil and thoughtful in the banter.
Hopefully I might get to meet some of you at a Mariners match this season. Personally hoping DDS is with us too btw, working his socks off to win back the fans. We'll see.

style_cafe

So you’re saying okon used the situation, by saying his hands were tied etc, to get out of his contract with ccm.

I can see some merit in that as well. Postecoglou and okon were both advocating the same playing tactic which was failing. Postecoglou and okon both vacated didn’t they.:popcorn:

But Okon`s contract was going to finish in 4-5weeks anyway.
So why did Okon pull the pin on player`s like DDS who obviously came to the club to play under him?
If Okon had honoured his contract DDS would have played the remaining games.
Newcastle would not have smashed us and everyone ends the season as friends,shakes hands a walks away.
For mine Okon dogged it on the players, the back room staff, the fans & the club...:soapbox:

scottmac

Suspended
Not seeking sympathy for DDS nor saying he's a victim. Not even suggesting that currently he's doing what's best. Just felt to respond to comments that he is pretentious, only after money etc, when I know that's not the case. I understand we all have our opinions so happy to leave it there.
Happy to move on and talk about the Mariners and what lies ahead this season. Thanks for being civil and thoughtful in the banter.
Hopefully I might get to meet some of you at a Mariners match this season. Personally hoping DDS is with us too btw, working his socks off to win back the fans. We'll see.
This is a great post. I for one haven't taken your posts as painting DDS as anything but unfortunate and giving us a different, insiders view of him. I hope he's here next year. I also wouldn't mind the cap space he holds actually spent on players that are worth the coin so I'm torn. He could be one of the better future players but much rests on his managers shoulders. Maybe too much. Can't wait till next week and it's hopefully sorted one way or the other as Shaun alluded to today.

Forum Phoenix

Understood.

All your responses have been classy Slimbo. Welcome to the forum mate.

Insertnamehere

Obviously.

But he has a contract.

I get that.

If he’s your friend. I understand and I do appreciate personal loyalty. But you are not soliciting sympathy from me Slimbo by pitching him as the victim. Except as a victim of very poor counsel, amd perhaps if as you say he is a lovely young man then allowing that counsel to nake him take actions and proceed in a manner that is guaranteed to make him look like he’s a disloyal upstart.

And his worse case should have been, continued to be paid very well to play week in week out in a club with a great history trying to turn their struggles around.

Very well elaborated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred