• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Big Al

If it turns out that our only adjustment during January is a depth defensive midfielder in Melling, it will be immensely dissapointing. This squad has serious deficiencies in the final third, and we need to either recruit starting players who can finish the build up work, or recruit solid depth to pressure for starting positions. This does none of those things, but it adds a 7th squad member who can play DM. If we have concerns with losing DDS for OS duty, then that is an issue with AM depth. Recruit a depth 10. Moving Tom out of his preferred position is as mad as playing Kubi at striker. And we currently have rosebud, McGing and Berry on the books to fill that DM spot if moving Tom is somehow seen as a good idea.

Most other teams see the January window as a chance to strengthen areas of weakness. I just don't get our mentality in this.

We are currently not winning games, and currently not in the top 6. Other teams improving and recruiting will go a long way to keeping us out of the 6. If you are not moving forward, you're going backwards.
Money. We don’t have any to strengthen but this is still a very strange signing. Lets wait till end of January and see who’s here and who’s not to see if it’s a good signing

Forum Phoenix

Tom H is a very clever player with a pretty exceptional passing ability that although he does not have quite the same dribbling skills as DDS, I suspect he may well do a better job at ten than DDS is presently managing. This is just a comment on Toms ability rather than a criticism of DDS. And given Hoole our current replacement 10 does not know when to pass or does not want to, I get Paolo’s reasoning.

With Melling, by starting DDS there against AU, Okon has rightly or wrongly shown he feels that the depth in the DM position was found out when we lost Tom, so I guess feels he needs to strengthen there in case we lose Tom or Wout again, and in this case would be if he wants to bring Tom forward while DDS is away.

Ive always liked L Rose but the truth is he has not taken his chances these past few months. Football is cruel that way. Whereas I look at Rowles colming into LB, or McGing at RB who I would have sworn would not keep that position, and now Storm who came into a lineup with McGing deservedly keeping his spot and so was subbing on for a new young hungry LB who I thought was bloody excellent last game - and what does he do? Blitzed it. He really stepped it up and said you just have to f**king play me in the starting 11.

Also noticed there’s been a bit of ‘no excuses now! for Okon now he has built his squad. I’m not advocating for excuses. But the truth is he has not built his squad in full yet. And if you look at where he hasn’t, it’s actually pretty telling I think.

The key areas where I see other people’s choices and not his are with our second string DM’s - Rose Berry Ashcroft McGing, though McGing has been amazing in reinventing himsekf at RB. And then upfront... he wanted to keep Roy but couldn’t and Bingham (and Powell I think??) were not of his making.

Adsrubal he clearly liked enough to sign but only on a one year deal meaning he was not convinced and did not want to encumber us with yet another liability if he proved a dud. Smart.

So for mine he has not yet assembled the squad I’m sure he wants (and needs) even given our salary limitations. And looking at it objectively, to me it seems we’re underperforming in precisely those areas.

Anyway, that’s my take on it.

But yes, sign a bloody striker ASAP please Paolo.

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Tom H is a very clever player with a pretty exceptional passing ability that although he does not have quite the same dribbling skills as DDS, I suspect he may well do a better job at ten than DDS is presently managing. This is just a comment on Toms ability rather than a criticism of DDS. And given Hoole our current replacement 10 does not know when to pass or does not want to, I get Paolo’s reasoning.

With Melling, by starting DDS there against AU, Okon has rightly or wrongly shown he feels that the depth in the DM position was found out when we lost Tom, so I guess feels he needs to strengthen there in case we lose Tom or Wout again, and in this case would be if he wants to bring Tom forward while DDS is away.

Ive always liked L Rose but the truth is he has not taken his chances these past few months. Football is cruel that way. Whereas I look at Rowles colming into LB, or McGing at RB who I would have sworn would not keep that position, and now Storm who came into a lineup with McGing deservedly keeping his spot and so was subbing on at LB for a new young hungry LB who I thought was bloody excellent last game - and what does he do? Blitzed it. He really stepped it up and said you just have to f**king play me in the starting 11.

Also noticed there’s been a bit of ‘no excuses now! for Okon now he has built his squad. I’m not advocating for excuses. But the truth is he has not built his squad in full yet. And if you look at where he hasn’t, it’s actually pretty telling I think.

The key areas where I see other people’s choices and not his are with our second string DM’s - Rose Berry Ashcroft McGing, though McGing has been amazing in reinventing himsekf at LB. And then upfront... he wanted to keep Roy but couldn’t and Bingham (and Powell I think??) were not of his making.

Adsrubal he clearly liked enough to sign but only on a one year deal meaning he was not convinced and did not want to encumber us with yet another liability if he proved a dud. Smart.

So for mine he has not yet assembled the squad I’m sure he wants (and needs) even given our salary limitations. And looking at it objectively, to me it seems we’re underperforming in precisely those areas.

Anyway, that’s my take on it.

But yes, sign a bloody striker ASAP please Paolo.
He re-signed Liam Rose, Bingham and McGing they are all his choices. Only Powell, Ascroft and Berry were not signed or re-signed under his tenure.

Wombat

Our keepers (apart from Izzo) always made team of the week. However that was before we decided to actually try and defend this season.
Well done Ben!!

Big Al

They were some good saves. The sort that should have won you 3 points not 1.

He is certainly performing better than I thought so i put my hand up for judging harshly before his on field performances. Seems like he is getting more comfortable with each week

shipwreck

It's nice having a goalkeeper who is performing well and everything, when was the last time we had a striker in the team of the week? Oh my mistake, when was the last time we had a striker?

Timmah

Thanks JP wasn’t sure.
I think McGing was a TW re-sign actually. Bingham and Rose were in much better form and showed much more promise when re-signed too, not sure what their issues are now.

Either way I tend to agree with you that Okon is still building the squad he wants within his capability/constraints. We'll get there

shipwreck

Would have expected an announcement on Melling to have happened already, since he has been publicly released by wsw.

Wishful thinking on my behalf of course that we haven't signed a 7th DM.

pjennings

Melling signed until season's end.

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/mariners-sign-jacob-melling

Mariners sign Jacob Melling
Central Coast Mariners have today signed 22-year-old midfielder, Jacob Melling from the Western Sydney Wanderers until at least the end of the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 season.

January is shaping up to be a busy period for the Mariners who are already without Danny De Silva, Trent Buhagiar & Tom Glover due to national team duties and have today granted permission for Harry Ascroft to accept an opportunity to trial in Malta.

With a minimum of four players unavailable for the club’s matches on January 6 (Melbourne Victory away), January 9 (#F3Derby away) and January 14 (Melbourne City at home) Melling joins the Mariners at a prime time to debut for the Yellow & Navy.

webembed1.jpg

Melling arrives on the Central Coast from the Wanderers whom he signed with in the lead up to the 2016/17 season from Melbourne City. The tough-tackling midfielder has notched 48 Hyundai A-League appearances during his time with Western Sydney, Melbourne City and his hometown club Adelaide United.

A product of the Australian Institute of Sport, Melling debuted with Adelaide United as a teenager in the 2011/12 season against Melbourne Heart.

Melling completed his first training session at the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence today and is eligible for selection this Saturday against Melbourne Victory.

Melling expressed his excitement at joining the Mariners and plying his trade in a new environment.

webembed2_0.jpg

“I’m very excited and really look forward to hitting the ground running with my new club,” Melling said. “I know quite a few of the boys here so I am looking forward to working with all the players and staff.

“For me, seeing the way the Mariners play – they are a great team to watch. They’ve got a lot of young players so I think I can fit into the team nicely and make a difference to progressing on the ladder.

“The main goal for me is to get as many minutes under my belt as I can. Being injured for half of last season was frustrating. Now I’m back to full fitness so I just want to be able to contribute and do everything I can to help the team.

“I am fit, ready to play and I just have to bide my time to be selected. When I get that opportunity, I need to take it with both hands, so it’s about being patient.

“I spoke to players who have played at the Mariners before about the club and they all said positive things, for me it’s a great community club who have a really good support base so I’m looking forward to playing at Central Coast Stadium in Yellow & Navy,” Melling said.

Head Coach Paul Okon welcomed Melling to the Mariners.

webembed3.jpg

“Jacob joins the Mariners at a crucial time of the season, especially when we’re faced with such a busy period in January,” Okon said. “During this time, it’s important that every player in the squad is ready to play their part and we know that Jacob arrives in top condition and ready to play when called upon.

“I’ve worked with Jacob before at the Young Socceroos so I know him quite well,” Okon said. “Jacob is very good on the ball, we’re a team that likes to dominate possession and move teams around and Jacob has that ability. He has a very good passing range, he’s quite tenacious, he’s a real fighter and he’s a good character in the dressing room.

“All of the attributes we were looking for when we decided we wanted to bring in a midfielder, Jacob has certainly ticked all of those boxes,” Okon said.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So, Melling it is....here’s hoping he surprises the shizar out of all of us

Forum Phoenix

He will get stuck in that’s for sure

Yeah this. From what I've seen he's just not a player that goes missing and on balance a bit more grit in our side is required imo.

Better than what we have is the mantra. When it comes to our 2600 DM's to be fair, I think he's better than 2598 of them.

pjennings

This to me says that Paolo does not think Liam offers enough as a DM. TBH - in the limited appearances this year he has this year his best was when he went to CB when Baro got sent off. He is versatile enough to do it (and probably AM) but with the young national teams he was often played as CB.

So in effect we have Wout/Tommy with Melling as first back up and

Golec/Baro with Liam as first back up.

With Josh likely to leave at the end of the year Golec could well move wider leaving Liam a chance to prove himself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred