• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

shipwreck

Makes me wonder if it's to stop teams absolutely humiliating teams like city did to Brisbane?

I remember back when NQF was back in the league, goal difference used to piss me off because some teams got to play them an extra time and rack up an extra easy 5 or 6 Nil game.

Insertnamehere

Why is is unexpected?

Honestly though that XG bollox really is a load of shite and is an utterly worthless statistic :mad:

Get Rid
Problem with advanced analytics on dynamic events is the accuracy.

Advanced stats for baseball on hitting is far more accurate. The variables are all known. Whereas they aren't so well for an event like goal scoring or even infielding in baseball.

I'd love to know the margin of error for xG, it would be worse than voting polling.

Stuartmcateer

Problem with advanced analytics on dynamic events is the accuracy.

Advanced stats for baseball on hitting is far more accurate. The variables are all known. Whereas they aren't so well for an event like goal scoring.

I'd love to know the margin of error for xG, it would be worse than voting polling.
There’s a guy in the uk (John Harrison) that does analysis, mainly on GKs, and he looks at quantifying it by the number of times the decision results in a goal (rather than xG).

Eg: keeper stays on line and in 80% of times it results in a goal vs keeper narrows angle and it drops to a goal in 62% of occurrences.

Optus has a program called generation xG and he was on an episode in November 2022. Was a really good analysis on when keepers rush out and leave space behind them vs when they hold position and make a save. Looked at the position of defenders etc.

Big Al

There’s a guy in the uk (John Harrison) that does analysis, mainly on GKs, and he looks at quantifying it by the number of times the decision results in a goal (rather than xG).

Eg: keeper stays on line and in 80% of times it results in a goal vs keeper narrows angle and it drops to a goal in 62% of occurrences.

Optus has a program called generation xG and he was on an episode in November 2022. Was a really good analysis on when keepers rush out and leave space behind them vs when they hold position and make a save. Looked at the position of defenders etc.
Those types of advanced analytics are certainly useful and interesting.

You don’t see to many keepers guessing on shots 1v1 from angles anymore they sort of set up as a statue and block the ball between the legs. Mat Ryan has that particular stance and it probably comes from this type of analysis

Big Al

I think it should also be used more in pressing. You should force the team to go to the weaker players off foot first instead of just an all out attack of pressure. The likelihood of an error is more likely if you can make that player make decisions.

But like Kye Rowles. Every time he pushed through the middle on a run he got caught making a bad pass because he didn’t know what to do next and was indecisive and then was caught out of position after the error. I think some teams were encouraging him with that hole.

Stuartmcateer

Those types of advanced analytics are certainly useful and interesting.

You don’t see to many keepers guessing on shots 1v1 from angles anymore they sort of set up as a statue and block the ball between the legs. Mat Ryan has that particular stance and it probably comes from this type of analysis
Funny you mention maty.

He was the example that was used in the episode of holding his position and making the striker shoot (he made the save) and compared it to Mendy at Chelsea who tends to rush out and get rounded a lot.

The other example was Henderson at Man U who held initially really well but didn’t adjust for the subsequent touches where he should have come out.

The nerd in me found it really interesting.

Big Al

Funny you mention maty.

He was the example that was used in the episode of holding his position and making the striker shoot (he made the save) and compared it to Mendy at Chelsea who tends to rush out and get rounded a lot.

The other example was Henderson at Man U who held initially really well but didn’t adjust for the subsequent touches where he should have come out.

The nerd in me found it really interesting.
Very interesting. I have certainly noticed it in Mat and Danny too.

Sometimes they do make it easy for the far corner but I suppose they are hoping for a miss kick in a pressure situation which is probably already against the keeper anyway.

bikinigirl

Why is is unexpected?

Honestly though that XG bollox really is a load of shite and is an utterly worthless statistic :mad:

Get Rid

. I suspect what was unexpected (to the author) is 3 of the top 5 propping up that table ... not creating many, not scoring many - but doing alright on the table

. what was surprising to me, was how accurate xG seemed (over the course of many games) ... excepting WU of course - but who knows how they fudge those numbers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred