• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coastie Crew 16 (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperHans

March through works well. Perhaps a tune for when we’re heaping pressure on teams and on the front foot. And similarly one to lift when under the pump. Which would be signalled by the bay - call and response style.
But keeping their involvement mostly seperate seems necessary.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO........OOOOOOOOO. Keep them back in the Bay! If they have to march, limit it to the plebs on the East side (especially behind the active visitors)!!!!!!

adz

Staff member
I was never a fan of the band. They really overpowered the chanting instead of complementing it and just seemed to want to do their own thing. Plus how many times do you want to here "don't stop believin'"? And who is the genius that thinks its a good idea to play "the great escape" when we're 3 goals down. Fark!

Ironbark

I like the band. At least the effect and atmosphere. I think if it could be tied in with Bay16 to compliment the active support it's a good thing

Josho Howe

I can totally understand why people want to hear the band. But it's a totally different story when you're in bay 16 and they just started to play over the top of you. The problem was the original people in the band were supporters of the club and understood how to work with the people chanting. Once those people left, others came in who weren't well versed in working with supporters chanting and the band just drowned everything out.

In my personal opinion, l would rather not have the band back. The voices of the people are our instruments.

SuperHans

Never played an instrument in my life but can appreciate those that can play one... or do I need to play one to like the band?
Lots of kids and families including my own loved the band and the atmosphere they created.
You'll be glad to know Mrs Superhans likes the band and she is now making me suffer :)

Michael

The band were the single worst thing we have ever had. Pandered to the people who demand to be entertained by others rather than get involved (even from the sidelines).
Their demise was ugly and I wont go into it here but good riddance to them

Hated the band, stoked when they stopped.
Always heard murmurs of something bad happening. Would love to know what did happen one day, purely out of curiosity.

priorpeter

Hated the band, stoked when they stopped.
Always heard murmurs of something bad happening. Would love to know what did happen one day, purely out of curiosity.

There was nothing malicious - I had/have a good relationship with the original ‘leader’ of the band, however he wasn’t really involved towards the end. The new person who took over kinda began treating it as rehearsal time for their band; insisted on having between 15-20 instruments (originally started with like 7 or so). We felt that was far too many, diminishes the vocal nature of active support, but she wouldn’t budge on that, so they went their own way. All good

Charlie1

I understand they might have drowned out the chanting but there was absolutely no chanting from bay 16 last season. To me we had no active support last season even though there wasn’t much to cheer about. Good luck to the Coastie crew hope they get the active support back to the good old days. I hope the YA don’t just stand up the back of the bay and criticise them hopefully everyone works together.

turbo

The guys at the back of Bay 16 criticise everyone so the CC shouldn’t feel offended by this
Well that makes it so much better :rolleyes:

Went over to bay 16 a few times over the season to try to lend my voice but it felt like two disjointed groups with the guys up the back doing their own thing and the young blokes at the front trying but not getting much going. Not an attack on anyone there but it’ll never grow if that’s the vibe of the bay.

marinermick

Well that makes it so much better :rolleyes:

Went over to bay 16 a few times over the season to try to lend my voice but it felt like two disjointed groups with the guys up the back doing their own thing and the young blokes at the front trying but not getting much going. Not an attack on anyone there but it’ll never grow if that’s the vibe of the bay.

The vibe was probably dictated by the general play on the pitch.

Coastalraider

Absolutely loved the band. Created a vibe in the stadium that chants were no longer capable of creating.

I think the issue with active support here (and Im prepared to get shot down as I havent been a part of it) is that 90% of the stadium either cant hear it, or have no idea what is happening. The call and response 'who do we sing for' was so successful because any old punter could get involved from the stands and easily figure out whats going on. Ive been going to matches for 6 years now, and I THINK I have figured out 'come on you yellow and blue?' and I think the other one is 'coassttiiiesss' - but apart form that I have no idea. I go with young kids, and have no real interest in us all sitting in bay 16, as I get a better view of what is actually happening in the game from side on. Thats the primary reason for me attending.

I absolutely realise that there is a small bunch of exceptionally passionate people in bay 16, and that they drive our active support, and am grateful for it. But there needs to me a link from bay 16 creating the atmosphere and the rest of the crowd, the call and response is awesome for this. The band was awesome for this.

And from what Im reading the CC are starting to slide a wedge into the group in bay 16 already, so that doesnt bode well for the larger picture.

Heres hoping it all works out.

Coastalraider

Whacky idea and I havent thought it through, but maybe use something visual to prompt interested people to join in ? Sign, flag etc
I realise it would look 'gimmicky' or cheap, but I thought that having something on the big screen would help. Pick one or two things to make our own and drive it hard.

To use an example, my NRL team the Raiders did a thing on the weekend to raise money and awareness for the Deaf Australia Foundation, where they broke the record for the most people signing at one time. It was announced prior via social channels, directions were shown on the big screen, and full crowd involvement was reached. Also look to the way the Viking clap was managed - it was a clearly communicated event with initial instructions so everyone knew what was happening. Now it is the biggest 'non-football' drawcard in the game.

Now i know that these examples were club directed, but there should be some possibility of a tee up with the active support team. The theory is though, that there was a well communicated message, with information on what was happening, when and how to take part. The Wanderers have done and excellent job of communicating the active support chants (early on at least).

adz

Staff member
When it comes to active support there are a few unspoken "rules" that people generally follow, and anything that is too manufactured, or planned, has a bad smell to it and puts people off.

Also it's a bit off putting when people who have never been involved are putting forward ideas that just wouldn't work, or come across as being overly critical.

Having said that I haven't personally been involved for a long time so take anything I say on the subject with a grain of salt :D.

The Wanderers have done and excellent job of communicating the active support chants (early on at least).

I'd be interested in hearing more about how they communicated the chants (apart from the obvious call and response). And from what I can tell, their support seems to be dropping from the initial excitement, and they are just doing the same old stuff as day 1.

turbo

The vibe was probably dictated by the general play on the pitch.
No doubt and those guys are free to express their frustration as any other fan is. That said it doesn't make for an inviting environment to bring new people to the active area. To an outsider it looks more like a group of mates where you'd be trying to get in on their jokes than something anyone can grab a seat and join in with, someone calling from the front or banging on a drum whoever it may be is easier for the average fan looking at the bay to get in to.

I dont care for the politics of it and I'm not attacking or blaming anyone but even with improvements on the pitch if the bay doesn't seem more approachable for someone looking to dip their toe in to active support then it won't get a whole lot better. That's just my perspective as someone outside the bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami