• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Victory v Mariners

MrCelery

Where did that performance come from?

Lots of positives. Hard to pick a MOM. Attractive performances from Djuric, Clisby, Silvera, Fox, Simon, and, of course, Ruiz-Diaz. Solid efforts from the rest too. But I reckon Nisbet gets the nod from me. He was everywhere and hardly put a foot wrong. I love his vision and passing and overall ball skills.

Forum Phoenix

- Nizzy gets my MOM and also player of the post pandemic season. His maturity and intelligence sets him levels apart from most players his age. Definite starting 11 player next season.
- Fox for mine is our best young CB. Strong and focused. We've been much better with him in the side and it was a shame his early year antics seemed to cost him so much of the season.
- DRD was obviously outstanding. Ambitious, hungry and skilful. Great combination. Should be our 10 next season or competing with a VISA player.
- Ziggy has had a good season and can hold his head high.
- Milan was excellent. We all know he's a class player, but we can't afford VISA players who are not going to be 90 minute players for the majority of the year. What we will miss most is his maturity and intelligence on the ball. The opposite of players like DDS, who we are clearly better without. We have to have players in our central midfield who can keep the ball under pressure, pick the right pass, and be expected to contribute at least 5 goals.
- I've given Clisby a hard time (deservedly I think) this season - but for the most part he's been very good post pandemic break. Credit where it's due.
- I agree with Staj that Silvera is finally playing into some form. Unlucky not to have won us a couple of pens last couple games and has generally created problems and helped us keep the ball and threaten.
- Birraz only mistake in a good while. Hope we can keep him. Expect he'll take any opportunity to leave though.
* Staj I'm happy to see going into another season. Juts hope we can afford to let him build a top 6 squad.
- Stens had a shocker against Perth and still has horrible moments, but has redeemed himself last two games and I think he'll develop into a very good player.

FFC Mariner

Lots of positives. Hard to pick a MOM. Attractive performances from Djuric, Clisby, Silvera, Fox, Simon, and, of course, Ruiz-Diaz. Solid efforts from the rest too. But I reckon Nisbet gets the nod from me. He was everywhere and hardly put a foot wrong. I love his vision and passing and overall ball skills.
Agree. I voted Nizzy as my MoM

Big Al

RD's finishes were absolute quality, there arent too many strikers in this league who would have buried either. We are screaming for a real 10. That isnt DDS or Silvera.
The touch to control the Milan through ball was quality.
Jair Murray etc are going where were those passes all season

marinermick

I find watching Silverra frustrating. Others have said that he has no support. I have been seeing someone who goes one touch too far, when he should pass, and then ends up swamped.
I can see a lot of positives, but there is a way to go.

His work rate is what frustrates me. He won’t defend from the front.

Last night I yelled numerous times at the screen because he let a player waltz past hm.

There was also a time where two Victory players collided in their own box and the ball sat perfectly for someone to shoot home. Silvera just stood and watched. If he was closing down originally he would have had a shot on goal.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Clisby's crossing was on point last night.
I'm still not entirely sure where he can fit into the squad - still not a fan of him in defence, and 'being able to cross' shouldn't be enough in an attacking role.
but then again, in a rebuild phase, especially with a reduced cap....maybe it is enough.

He really was whipping in some precise crosses sneaking it in behind the defence.

Simon was looking dangerous and hungry.

I wasn't feeling great about R-D until his goals, but the were clinical - they were both difficult goals too.

Nizzy is an absolute must keep.

Blackadder

Well perhaps a glimmer of light for next season, but what was abundantly clear is there has to be a continued focus on retaining the youth in the side.
DRD showed what he is capable of with two very well taken goals , Clisby was immense with his crosses into the box (where the hell has that been??), Nisbet probably his best game of the season (career??) , also impresed with the strength the Fox showed to shrug off the defenders and slot his first A-League goal.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Interesting to consider the comments about Silvera holding the ball too long - on the flip side, sometimes I wish he would have taken his defender on more. A few times he had one defender in front, so just hoofed it into the middle - he has the skill to get past that defender, draw the central marking defenders out of position and create space for the guy in the middle.
He seems to not quite be sure when to hang onto the ball and have a go, when to hold it up instead of running, and when to give it early.
He also needs to bulk up and be seen to start pushing back against his opponents.

marinermick

Interesting to consider the comments about Silvera holding the ball too long - on the flip side, sometimes I wish he would have taken his defender on more. A few times he had one defender in front, so just hoofed it into the middle - he has the skill to get past that defender, draw the central marking defenders out of position and create space for the guy in the middle.
He seems to not quite be sure when to hang onto the ball and have a go, when to hold it up instead of running, and when to give it early.
He also needs to bulk up and be seen to start pushing back against his opponents.

It’s a mental not physical thing for him. He doesn’t necessarily need to bulk up. Nizzy has no problems manning up.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It’s a mental not physical thing for him. He doesn’t necessarily need to bulk up. Nizzy has no problems manning up.
fair point, but maybe he needs the physical aspect to overcome the mental.

I'm just thinking Matt Simon when he started - although even then he at least tried to push back, just couldn't :p

It may be that Silvera's appearance in falling over too easy is why all the refs hate him - I've pointed out that no other club suffers from that; none of the known divers suffer from that clear bias from the referees - but maybe that's the point; it's that perspective coupled with small-club bias (and generally universally poor refereeing from not judging each situation on its merits).

marinermick

fair point, but maybe he needs the physical aspect to overcome the mental.

I'm just thinking Matt Simon when he started - although even then he at least tried to push back, just couldn't :p

It may be that Silvera's appearance in falling over too easy is why all the refs hate him - I've pointed out that no other club suffers from that; none of the known divers suffer from that clear bias from the referees - but maybe that's the point; it's that perspective coupled with small-club bias (and generally universally poor refereeing from not judging each situation on its merits).

I remember Tommy Oar’s first game for Brisbane. He was so small but he muscled up against Petkovic who was trying to shove him around during a corner. He didn’t fall over but stood up to a guy a foot taller. This is a man’s game and the older players will take advantage of any weakness.

However, I can forgive him for this. What I don‘t forgive is the general lack of effort to get into position in attack or the lack of defending from the front. There is generally no drive in his game until he gets the ball. And because of this lack of drive he is not getting enough ball for him to be the star he thinks he is.

The whole disbelief about him getting subbed said it all. He is not a team player.

marinermick

Sounds like your view is that he's a second DDS, @marinermick ?

I do feel like somebody with his skill level should be having a much bigger impact on the game by now.

Yes to both your paragraphs.

I don’t know what happened to DDS. I remember the game in Wellington a few years ago that we won 4-1 and he was amazing. So much energy, direct and distribution was immaculate.Why can’t we have that DDS back?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Yes to both your paragraphs.

I don’t know what happened to DDS. I remember the game in Wellington a few years ago that we won 4-1 and he was amazing. So much energy, direct and distribution was immaculate.Why can’t we have that DDS back?
I know, and huge potential with his skill level too, but we just haven't seen that anymore.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

SO...did last nights rookie ref pass his HAL level job interview?
He preferred making incorrect decisions that were easier to sell than the correct ones, avoided doing anything that might look slightly controversial to avoid headlines (which means favouring the bigger club), makes assumptions rather than judging situations on their individual merits, and let his actions be completely dictated by the players.

He'll probably get the grand final next year. Looks to me like he refereed in every manner that our assessors have always loved.

(I mean, could you actually argue he was any worse than Beath last week?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami