• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Round 21 v Western United (A)

Ironbark

It was at about this stage of the season and our falling form that lead to the 8-2 loss to WP 2 years ago, then the scum the year after.
WP are in form. We just lost 6-2 to a team everyone else will beat.
I do think Staj will avoid and 8-2...but we should still lose dishearteningly.

ccm16

Anyone hear Kossie say “And just on the Mariners it looks like something might be happening” when commentating the Brisbane game?? Probably something small but why would he mention it with no other context.. maybe I’m just being too hopeful.

Big Al

Anyone hear Kossie say “And just on the Mariners it looks like something might be happening” when commentating the Brisbane game?? Probably something small but why would he mention it with no other context.. maybe I’m just being too hopeful.
He was talking about us playing the roar next week. Was saying we were just starting to look like doing something then we had last week (he didn’t need to say the last bit as it was obvious).
Was talking about our play and nothing else

ccm16

He was talking about us playing the roar next week. Was saying we were just starting to look like doing something then we had last week (he didn’t need to say the last bit as it was obvious).
Was talking about our play and nothing else

I don’t think so. They never mentioned how we were starting to look ok. What Kossie said was completely unrelated to what Simon Hill said in my opinion.

turbo

I don’t think so. They never mentioned how we were starting to look ok. What Kossie said was completely unrelated to what Simon Hill said in my opinion.
I wouldn’t read too much in to it, it’s an easy assumption to make when you ship 6 to a team that has been out of form. That we haven’t heard grumbling on here or twitter suggests there probably isn’t anything major for him to be referring to, Also it’s not like fox commentators CCM analysis is always bang on to suggest they have a greater knowledge of the club.

Tim

I agree after watching Adelaide get pumped, however, why does it always feel like we are the side that other teams use to play themselves into form! For example: WU no goals in 3 games then 11 in 2 games, go figure...

Pirate Pete

Having watched parts of the game I'm more concerned we couldn't score against Adelaide the other week, than last week.

turbo

Having watched parts of the game I'm more concerned we couldn't score against Adelaide the other week, than last week.
The difference between us and Adelaide at the moment isn’t at the back it’s in the front third where their attackers especially mids are scoring goals. If anything their backs are more of a mess than ours atm. They’ve still had a poor run lately but the bit of fire power they have can keep them in a game while we just don’t have that in our kit.

Pirate Pete

The difference between us and Adelaide at the moment isn’t at the back it’s in the front third where their attackers especially mids are scoring goals. If anything their backs are more of a mess than ours atm. They’ve still had a poor run lately but the bit of fire power they have can keep them in a game while we just don’t have that in our kit.
Which I why I said I was concerned we couldn't score against a shit defence.
I understand what you're saying about their mids and attack. Their "firepower" didn't keep them in the game today.
Shame we couldn't have got one or two before they got them.

turbo

No it wasn’t any good for them today and shows how important Halloran is for them. Hasn’t done them a lot of favours since our game but it’s mostly on their defence. They lead the wanderers 2-1 before they shit the bed. Were somewhat unlucky against Victory to lose at the end too.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

GrazeAnatomy on reddit has started doing some fairly detailed tactical write-up of games and has received good feedback. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for us he did one of this game.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Western United 3-4-2-1 vs Central Coast Mariners 4-2-2-2

https://preview.redd.it/h4yzs16od8l...bp&s=207708c4428d981230cda765e3cfb3f406ba1299

Western United lined up in a 3-4-2-1 and had a narrow, tight core, that was supplemented by wingbacks who were happy to push up the pitch to provide width.

Central Coast Mariners lined up in a 4-2-2-2 (rectangle!) and looked to attack with numbers, the two strikers leading the line, the two attacking midfielders supporting and the two full backs then both push up high looking to attack and provide extra width. To counter balance, the two defensive midfielders sat deeper.

The way the formations were set up meant that each player had a direct opponent, aside from the centrebacks – both sets of which had a spare man against the opposition attackers.

Mariners playing out from the back into the United press

Mariners wanted to play out from the back, but had great difficulty doing so as United pressed ferociously once Mariners tried to play out of the centrebacks. The formations gave everyone a direct opponent - Kim and Stensness were covered by Burgess and Diamanti, the United wingbacks made up impressive ground to get tight to the fullbacks. When Nisbet and McGlinchey tried to come and collect, their markers were hot on their heels.

Again and again their passing was disrupted and United came away with the ball in very dangerous locations when Mariners were trying to transition from defence to attack. You can see how absurdly aggressive their press is on multiple occasions, where United outnumbered Mariners in their own half (1 min, 6 min).

It looks like they have been given the strict instruction to try to play the ball out on the ground at all times. This doesn’t really work when you don’t have the required creativity and technique to unlock the press with pinpoint passing and good combination play. The two defensive midfielders were instructed to stay central, while bizarrely neither of Nisbet or McGlinchey were able to make any space to receive passes (Kim motioning for a run in the 3rd minute) and insisted on staying central. The desire to play the ball out showed itself when they tried to pass out of dangerous situations with risky passes that were picked off easily around their own box - we'll look at this later with the goals.

With such high pressing, gaps are certain to appear at the back, and that’s exactly what happened. Many times Mariners were a fraction away from connecting with a long ball that could have resulted in a 3v3/4v4 situation (5 min,12 min, 26 min, 33 min).

This begs the question – why were they so reluctant to go direct? Why not just pump more long balls forwards to Murray and ask the other attackers to push up higher to win second balls?

Western United movement & combinations win the formations battle

On the other hand, Western United were able to easily play out of defence, with the centrebacks able to find each other and escape the half-hearted press of Harold and Murray, with a simple 3v2 match up. Pain and Risdon dropped to allow a pass out of defence, and their opponents Gordon and Clisby weren’t as aggressive with their pressing and allowed them time to find passes infield. Burgess and Diamanti made sure to come deep to play as midfielders and help bring the ball up the field. Once they managed to get out of defence, Pain especially would come forward, often being the furthest forward after Berisha. Berisha had a key role to occupy the centrebacks and he did this nicely with nice runs to create space for his teammates.

Burgess and Diamanti came to life and really showed clever movement to drag Kim and Stensness around the pitch. Diamanti worked in combination with Lustica – when Lustica came forward, Diamanti would cut inside in the pocket vacated by Lustica’s run and had the opportunity to spray passes – without any pressure – into Berisha and Burgess up front, or Pain on the opposite flank

Burgess was more direct, running into the channel after coming short to link play and drag the midfielder out. With Pain hugging the touchline causing Gordon to follow, the channel between Gordon and Tongyik was left quite wide. The defensive midfielders were not particularly comfortable, or skilled at tracking runners and defending in wide areas, but with the Mariners full backs pushing very high up the pitch, this became one of their core roles. Gordon and Kim/Stensness had difficulty in coordinating who had control of that rightback zone and the inside left pocket. The result was neither here nor there, and both Pain and Burgess had space to drive into both areas.

https://preview.redd.it/zrsuuva1q8l...bp&s=7452fe2d111fbf2a0c6a94eed4d8d850870c1fe2

The 3-1 goal illustrates a perfect example:

1. Kim tracks Burgess on the ball

2. Ball is played to Pain, Gordon comes out of RB to press

3. Burgess receives the ball in the open channel, Kim keeps tracking Burgess

4. Gordon comes back to RB zone to cover, leaving Pain unmarked

5. Gordon tells Kim to pick up Pain’s run – which he tries to but fails as the ball is played inside him

6. CCM have possession (but try to play the ball in their own box to get out???)

7. Pain nips in to steal the ball, and no-one picks up Burgess in the RB zone.

But actually all 4 of the goals exploit this area

1-0: Burgess driving through causes Gordon to pick him up and assign Stensness to Pain, but Pain has already driven into the inside left space.

4-1 Stensness has Burgess but lets him go. I’m not sure whether to be mad at Gordon, but this really shows the pulling power that Berisha has on the defence.

Saving the best for last.

The 2-1 goal is a perfect summary for the entire game:

1. Mariners playing out of the back

2. All four attackers out of shot – how can they link play?

3. Both Full backs are out of shot, too high up the pitch (notice Kim motioning to Gordon to drop deep when they try to circulate the ball to the right)

4. Ferocious press (notice Diamanti waving Lustica forward) (5 pressing against 4 in their half!)

5. Poor pass into the CAM under pressure

6. Kim trying to track the run of Burgess

7. Berisha making a dummy run to pull CBs away from Burgess

8. Kim trying to keep possession of the ball instead of clearing

Reactions: Ads

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads