• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v Wanderers

Wombat

There is no-one in the league who wins the ball back as much as Stens, full stop. For some reason a lot of punters seem to concentrate on the mistakes. They happen but less often than most others out here. He makes up for every loss of the ball with ten turnovers. Staj can see the stats and the player quite clearly, which is why Stensness starts every game.

Also no one in the HAL apart from Melling that gives the ball up as much. I can see a decent player inside but he is VERY flawed at this stage. It 2 years he will be ready for the HAL...right now he is winging it................and it is one of the reasons we came last.

Replace Stens with the Korean at DM and play Fox at CB instead of the Korean and we would not have come bottom.

Wombat

Without new ownership, nothig will change. He isnt funding the current cap so will be delighted if it goes altogether as he can sign more park footballers.
The last 3 games have been dreadful
Take Birra out and we would have let in 100 this season

The last 3 games have been an improvement! We actually looked organised just absolutely shit house in the final third.

Big Al

There is no-one in the league who wins the ball back as much as Stens, full stop. For some reason a lot of punters seem to concentrate on the mistakes. They happen but less often than most others out here. He makes up for every loss of the ball with ten turnovers. Staj can see the stats and the player quite clearly, which is why Stensness starts every game.
He is a good physical presence who breaks up play quite well for someone so young but you can’t keep winning the ball and then turning it back over with poor passing. They negate each other and you become un playable. He must cut out those errors or he won’t be good enough to play A League

Last edited:

true believer

Also no one in the HAL apart from Melling that gives the ball up as much. I can see a decent player inside but he is VERY flawed at this stage. It 2 years he will be ready for the HAL...right now he is winging it................and it is one of the reasons we came last.

Replace Stens with the Korean at DM and play Fox at CB instead of the Korean and we would not have come bottom.
we came last because our back 4 are still in napps
we have no AM ,no strikers our best midfielder is another kid.

but the reason we came last is the guy that put himself everywhere for a season is the problem !!!!

he's in our top 3 for the season . in my mind outside birra our best player

FFC Mariner

The last 3 games have been an improvement! We actually looked organised just absolutely shit house in the final third.
The DDS/Silvera effect. They cant play in the same side and should play wide (yay more curriculum step over experts)

Ancient Mariner

The DDS/Silvera effect. They cant play in the same side and should play wide (yay more curriculum step over experts)
Step overs and fancy tricks are all very well, but are useless if you cannot produce an end product (ie an accurate pass to someone in a better position) they are also useless if you cannot keep the ball. Most of our players need to work seriously on these basics.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...N93Xoi-Vu-Ccykkpmtmxcy9kX-xNVXaAhKuYuZ1u25OMg
Fox sports loving Bozza's temper tantrum - this is a response argument by speedy, but I reckon it was under Fox's instruction (especially as they're actually advertising roar vs MV as speedy vs Bozza....

Anyway, speedy spoke to a few people, literally everybody except Bozza, Delovski and Beath say Silvera's was a pen.
Beath just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he lacks the law knowledge to referee an U/10 match:
explains to a gobsmacked Silvera that it was “normal contact” between defender and attacker and it was “play-on” situation
I mean, clearly you can't have 'normal' contact from a fully outstretched arm into the small of the back

Delovski, of course, backs up Beath:
" “Football is a contact sport, we should not be encouraging players to fall inside the penalty area at the slightest of touches. Unless there is a clear additional movement of the arm, FIFA expect play to continue. As a result the decision to play on by Chris Beath was correct.”

So, according to him you're allowed to stiff arm a defender in the back. Idiocy.
No surprise from him - it's all a boys club and he'll come out and back up his refs rather than admit fault; he's part of the same old guard as Breeze, Williams, Shield, and nothing will improve until he's gone.

And we know VAR has given penalties for lighter bumps in the back. So SD is full of shit.

"Robbie Cornthwaite: “From my point of view, when I’m behind an attacker who is going to shoot, and I know I can’t get a tackle in, then I’m going to nudge him and try and put him off balance. But you can’t push him in the back. If it’s a push, it’s a penalty"

"Archie Thompson agrees: “Silvera clearly gets in-front of the defender, and the arm in the back affects his shot. It also makes the striker go to ground.”

Slater’s thoughts: “There’s minimal contact, but Silvera is flying! I’ve been in that situation, and when you are running at top speed, the slightest touch from behind will send you flying. In my opinion it’s a clear penalty.”

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I think Silvera has a reputation as a diver and would need to be hit with a baseball back to get anything
I'm not buying that - none of the other divers in the league have ever had that problem, and he's never been booked for diving.

Some referees refuse to give Simon a foul as well, but he's never been a diver.

Personally I'm yet to see him take a dive. I have no problem calling out our players for diving, but he's just somebody who gets shoved around a lot.

Last edited:

turbo

I'm not buying that - none of the other divers in the league have ever had that problem, and he's never been booked for diving.
The better the player is the more they seem to get benefit of the doubt. When it’s Matty or SIlvera the mindset is they’re diving because they won’t score otherwise. When it’s Berisha, Fornaroli, ALF it’s taken more at face value.

greenlig

I think Silvera needs to work on using his body in tackles more. If he pushed back into the contact before he lost his feet, it would be entirely more convincing. I think he gets fouled a lot, and always will as a skilful player, he just needs to make sure the contact really sticks. It means more knocks, but that's the price.

style_cafe

The more I think about this,the more I think we need to keep Matt Simon on the books for next year albeit on a reduced and affordable pay scale.

The drive that he gave the team was displayed in that game and he is one that could teach players like Silverra and DR,not in the shooting department
but in the way he affects the game off the ball.

Many a defender has said they hate playing against him because of the way he plays.
It would be shame to loose that from the Mariner`s.

Despite the antics and reputation he has on the field Matty is actually totally different off the field and imo is a really good guy...:popcorn:

turbo

The more I think about this,the more I think we need to keep Matt Simon on the books for next year albeit on a reduced and affordable pay scale.
Post game interview he said he will stay on in a dual role so I’d expect him to be re-signed in his super sub role and maybe start working under Monty or some other off field capacity with an eye on life after football.
As long as we’re paying him appropriately and he’s cool with his place in the squad it would address most of my concerns about having him on the books. Only issue then is if it keeps a player like Kuol on the bench but I’m sure that can be managed.

Ironbark

Dual role could also mean something like youth assistant or assistant coach / community engagement coordinator. No guarantee it's an on field position, although a part time player role is ok

turbo

Dual role could also mean something like youth assistant or assistant coach / community engagement coordinator. No guarantee it's an on field position, although a part time player role is ok
The question was phrased around whether he would be playing on or hanging up the boots. The way he spoke definitely indicated it would have an on field component.

pjennings

The question was phrased around whether he would be playing on or hanging up the boots. The way he spoke definitely indicated it would have an on field component.

Sign him on minimum salary and keep him at the club. A great man to have around the club and probably someone we need to keep involved with the club even if he is not playing (paid of course on top of his minimum playing salary). His value to the club will probably be more important moving forward off the field.

At the very least an ambassadorial and mentorship role would be well suited.

Tying together the many strands of Central Coast football so they work better together would be a good start and a united and co-ordinated football community on the coast will only help. We have an A-League side, NS Mariners in the NPL, CCMA in NPL2, CC Utd in NPL3 and a sports school at Mt Penang with quite a few ex Mariners involved. Matty is probably ideally suited you would think with good relationships with most stakeholders. He is also very recognisable to the Central Coast community as a whole.

Of course he can also start pursuing any football managerial ambitions he has as well.

Last edited:

jacobsfl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami