• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Stadium

Tassiemariner

As an outsider, I've always wondered why there is stuff all (besides 1 league game a year) at CCS outside of CCM games.

Get some events in during April - August and have a rule with no events 5 days before a CCM game. New seats, yellow and blue trim around the ground, make it look and feel like a home ground permanently.

midfielder

TWAS way back when very early certainly before Hal 3 0r 4. We had some issues with the ground and the field, had a lot to do with League.

Anyways the crust of the talk on the forum, was many of the people on the council were RL folk who saw the Mariners as a Johnny come lately trying to capitalise off the Northern Eagles heading back south to Manly.

Essentially the belief at the time was that we were fighting city hall… and they did not want us to succeed. The Bears were seen as a favourite son, Singo offered the NRL 7 or 8 million to help fund a RL team on the Coast playing out of Gosford. At times the Bears and their attempts to form a CC team seem to garner more local media than us.

Singo also gave us $ 500, 000 to both keep us and to pressure the NRL. Singo then gave us more and in time became a fan. However it was very clear for years were his heart lay.

Time, all the old guard now gone, the COE coming along, the development of a number of Socceroos, means I think those entrenched anti Mariners folk are long gone and hopefully we enjoy today broad based support …. Also me thinks Wyong council has been overall far more supportive than Gosford over the years…Resulting / meaning I don't think there will be any anti Football pro League influence in decisions, especially since the NRL have said the CC is not in their plans for an expansion team.

Me, thinks if not an outright purchase then certainty a long term management rights could be on the cards.

The stumbling block could be what name or who the stadium is sold too. If sold directly to the Mariners or sold directly to Charlesworth would affect the council’s thinking re the public asset test.

Last edited:

midfielder

I would love a Football stadium, the ground painted in yellow.

I can see artist painting of key players on the entrance's to the stadium, a wall of fame re players going on to higher honours...

Also some pictures of great wins...

The player I want or the combo actually is Tommy P and Grumpy ... artist painting behind the northern end...

Many community events could be held at the stadium...

Loving it...

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I love it....if managed well it could really secure the financial future of CCM, and it would put a lot of options on the table for how to use the stadium.
It would be amazing to see it truly turned into a CCM stadium - and it would help build the atmosphere and keep people coming, but it would also mean that other stadium usages would funnel money back into the team. So long term it could ensure that we're one of the teams that are pushing the limits of the salary cap so we can start to match MV, MCY, WSW on their recruitment.
I love the vision - and I love the no matter what the haters say, CCM have ALWAYS been leading this league on and off the field, and this vision ensures this will continue to be the case.

sydmariner

I would love a Football stadium, the ground painted in yellow.

I can see artist painting of key players on the entrance's to the stadium, a wall of fame re players going on to higher honours...

Also some pictures of great wins...

The player I want or the combo actually is Tommy P and Grumpy ... artist painting behind the northern end...

Many community events could be held at the stadium...

Loving it...
What about hutch & dutchy holding up the toilet seat.

Big Al

If it were bringing in more money, sure. But wasn't the stadium paying clubs to take NRL games there? That'd stop, surely, because it was basically taking money from the Mariners to give to other people to come and bugger up the pitch.
Could still happen but we'd get the $5 per bucket of cold chips and we could charge the NRL crowds for sauce

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I don't see why they wouldn't want to host NRL games, just as long as there's enough recovery time for the pitch. They tend to get good crowds and I think the coast has enough of a passion for NRL (and a longstanding desire for a central coast team) that they should be looking to have some NRL games here.

Same with events like motocross, concerts etc....as long as there's time for the pitch to recover, then why not?
If it's owned / managed by CCM then I wonder if that would make games such as local finals matches, even NYL more financially viable?

As a curtain raiser I reckon they could even set up a Futsal pitch in the middle (not sure if CCM or the coast have any involvement in high level Futsal - anybody able to answer that), how good would that be? I'm sure there would be some quick way of laying a wooden surface down. Could be a great exhibition if there is a touring Futsal club at any point. And I mean Futsal, not this Soccer5s stuff.

pjennings

This has been added at the end of the article

Mariners’ CEO Shaun Mielekamp said outright ownership of stadiums had been very beneficial to clubs in the US Major League Soccer.

“We want to truly call it our home instead of lobbing in and out every couple of weeks,” he said.

COUNCIL CEO CONFIRMS MARINERS’ STADIUM APPROACH

Central Coast Council CEO Rob Noble confirmed the Mariners have approached him to look into different ownership models, including buying or leasing, for Central Coast Stadium.

7d7de12d3813480091f4dcc52ab689d4

Central Coast Council CEO Rob Noble.

Mr Noble admitted council had not managed the venue as well as it could have. “In the past the stadium has not maximised its opportunities,” he said.

“We need to think about what maximum value we can deliver for the community and compare and contrast that with whatever offer might be received.

“There are a number of possible options for the use of the stadium should it remain in the Central Coast Council’s ownership and we want to maximise the opportunities from having the stadium.

“Whatever we do must be in the best interests of the community.”

Mr Noble said once the council received a formal offer from the Mariners it would not necessarily have to wait until a publicly elected council was formed to make a decision.

“Legally we could make such a decision, but I have indicated to them that we do need to do some analysis to consider their proposal and we’re more than happy to discuss these options with the Mariners,” he said.

Big Al

If you own the stadium or the rights you need it to be income producing.

So almost anyone's money would be expected even at the expense of the pitch.

I highly doubt they would say no there is a Mariners game coming up we better say no for the sake of the pitch.

We'd like that to be the case.

Concerts etc would be better held in the warmer weather so if it is to be maximised the pitch could be effected.

Maybe a council run, event neglected stadium is better for the pitch.

midfielder

What I liked about the extension to the article was this line... the key word being """not"""

"" Mr Noble said once the council received a formal offer from the Mariners it would not necessarily have to wait until a publicly elected council was formed to make a decision.""""

dibo

Council (whether run by the administrator now or elected councillors a year from now) has an imperative to ensure that whatever arrangements are struck are beneficial to the community as a whole.

That means that whilst it may suit the club to have the management rights, etc., it may not necessarily be judged to be the best outcome for the community as a whole.

That doesn't necessarily just mean that we need a bid that puts more money in Council's hands than they otherwise make; there are also questions about access to and use of a public asset, and whether that asset is being used in a way that maximally benefits the community.

This ties in a lot with questions about Gosford's development as a whole. Council will need to show that it's serious about seeing Gosford developing in a positive way, with the place being 'open for business' but also open for the community. We want development and we want things to draw people to the city.

We want jobs and an attractive environment leading to a vibrant place for people to live, work and relax.

The stadium is a relatively small part of a bigger set of concerns. The best thing we could do is try to ensure that we're able to offer up a proposal that suits us (business-wise) but also meshes in with the Council and community views on how the city is to grow.

That way instead of being seen like we want to commandeer a public asset for private gain, we are seen to be partners in the growth of the city for everyone's benefit.

That will almost certainly mean that we're not going to be saying no to many people who want to use the stadium, and we're going to need to make investments to ensure that the stadium can be used as much as possible.

Investing in things like natural/synthetic hybrid surfaces, improved corporate facilities and maybe even catering and conference facilities in the venue, and offering up packages to community groups for special events (both sporting and non-sporting - e.g. local grand finals and carols by candlelight) will all have to be part of the mix.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Agree completely - reading the media reports though, it sounds like that 'bigger picture' is what they have planned, which would be fantastic.
Even having more events would be great - I wonder what the economic benefit to the CBD is every time, say, 15 000 people attend an event?

scottmac

Suspended
There is no way you'd even think about taking the management or ownership of this stadium without plans for a dramatic change in the number of events held there. There will be occasions where ground quality will suffer but all that is, is a challenge for the ground staff. Nothing that will greatly affect the team.

tsd

This has to be the first thing MC has done that has been met with universal approval and probably the first time I've been truly excited by mariners news in 3 years

nebakke

I do have to admit... As much as I like the suggestion, and I actually think that it would be to everybody's benefit, I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable with the administrator selling off such a major asset. I'd probably still celebrate and like it if it happened, but it doesn't sit quite right with me, that such a major asset be sold off while the council is effectively in caretaker mode, with no voter influence.

Timmah

Might sound harsh but under the "voter influenced" council of recent years (well, decades) not much appears to have progressed and CCM are now tenants in a 17-year old venue which has had very few improvements or developments made to it since it was completed in 2000.

Worse still, it's an asset which has seen a massive reduction in usage in the last few years. Used to be 4-5 NRL games a year, the Christmas Carols, even the odd concert and yearly league/union finals, every year without fail. To me, if it takes a state-govt appointed administration to get some movement then maybe that's a good thing?

dibo

Might sound harsh but under the "voter influenced" council of recent years (well, decades) not much appears to have progressed and CCM are now tenants in a 17-year old venue which has had very few improvements or developments made to it since it was completed in 2000.
I'm not sure I agree.

I'm obviously pro-Mariners and pro-development, but the argument for making improvements to the stadium is a tough one.

The average attendance for the 150 games there over the last 11 seasons is just over 9k.

It's also hosted just 61 games in the NRL *ever*, averaging just over 13k.

The corporate facilities have been less well used again (just guessing here, but they seem pretty darn empty most of the time).

So it's been used for regular competition games of the two biggest sports for 210-odd games in 17 years, averaging about half capacity... It's hard to go cap in hand for improvements on that basis.

You know the most sure-fire way for the Mariners to a) get operating rights for the stadium and b) attract funds and support for improvements?

Start a NRL side to play full time out of the place.

Worse still, it's an asset which has seen a massive reduction in usage in the last few years. Used to be 4-5 NRL games a year, the Christmas Carols, even the odd concert and yearly league/union finals, every year without fail. To me, if it takes a state-govt appointed administration to get some movement then maybe that's a good thing?

They used to pay NRL sides $100k a game to play out of there. That's not a good use of cash. Where do you reckon that money came from? The rent paid by the regular tenant of course!

They had district rugby league finals there the other day (which made it a *bitch* to park near the foreshore for lunch with my folks...), they're hosting Nitro Circus there again and I'm sure that things like carols and whatnot might well be on their way back soon.

Timmah

Kind of my point - the more events the better. In recent years that's been scaled right back. Good to hear it's on the improve though.

scottmac

Suspended
I'm not sure I agree.

I'm obviously pro-Mariners and pro-development, but the argument for making improvements to the stadium is a tough one.

The average attendance for the 150 games there over the last 11 seasons is just over 9k.

It's also hosted just 61 games in the NRL *ever*, averaging just over 13k.

The corporate facilities have been less well used again (just guessing here, but they seem pretty darn empty most of the time).

So it's been used for regular competition games of the two biggest sports for 210-odd games in 17 years, averaging about half capacity... It's hard to go cap in hand for improvements on that basis.

You know the most sure-fire way for the Mariners to a) get operating rights for the stadium and b) attract funds and support for improvements?

Start a NRL side to play full time out of the place.

They used to pay NRL sides $100k a game to play out of there. That's not a good use of cash. Where do you reckon that money came from? The rent paid by the regular tenant of course!

They had district rugby league finals there the other day (which made it a *bitch* to park near the foreshore for lunch with my folks...), they're hosting Nitro Circus there again and I'm sure that things like carols and whatnot might well be on their way back soon.
I don't quite understand what you don't agree with??? I think it's the idea that the stadium hasn't deserved upgrades? Which we all know it doesn't but like Timmah said (in a roundabout way) the reason behind that is its lack of use.
I just can't see how getting an NRL side out of the stadium would do anything for the mariners to get operating rights. If it were to happen, council would be out of their mind to give that up.
If it were to happen (mariners getting operating rights) then the mariners should be the biggest supporters of a central coast rugby league side gaining an NRL spot. Which will never occur in our lifetime.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami