• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

AFC Cup

Corsair

So its’ only top of the group that goes through not the top 2.
I'd have to check but they have some convoluted setup that gets you into a playoff if you're second and the stats favor you.

We'd probably qualify for that but we definitely don't want to be in that position given the teams we've played have frankly been shite.

Last edited:

pjennings

I'd have to check but they have some convoluted bollocks that gets you into a playoff if you're second and the stats favor you.

We'd probably qualify for that but we definitely don't want to be in that position given the teams we've played have frankly been shite.
The best place 2nd place makes the semi. Macarthur and Phnom Penh Crown will probably both end up on 12 in their group so one will win and one will be second. Group H at least 3 teams can end up on 12.

So we need win the group or pray that Bali beat Terenganu. We then need to do a quick cleanup/rebuild in January.

Last edited:

Ads

He wasn't.
Torres receives the ball well, started moving with the ball well and then decision making is very sparatic.

Like Tulio doesn’t protect the ball very well, opts for the bigger stride or the lower percentage pass.

So he looked good on the ball until he didn’t. Haha

Huddo

Torres receives the ball well, started moving with the ball well and then decision making is very sparatic.

Like Tulio doesn’t protect the ball very well, opts for the bigger stride or the lower percentage pass.

So he looked good on the ball until he didn’t. Haha

The reference is to Wilson.

Big Al

Job done by the senior boys. Got themselves another stamp in the passport and made sure the young boys don’t get a go to show them up.

That was a perfect example of our season. Conceded when never looked like conceding.

Missed chances early and late.

Score board under attack from shots at goal not in goal.

Positives
Di Pizzo looked great. Got in good spots and scored. He wasn’t much of a scorer in NPL but looks better with the step up where his quality has more quality players around him to open space. Was way way way more efficient than Wilson.

It won’t happen but Wilson could really use some time in the NPL to learn the position when it starts up again.

Some how we rescued total meltdown but that was a horrible performance at home against a team with only 3 outfield subs.

There is going to be alot of jackoff after that and probably a few more on Sunday

Ads

Our problem is out wide. A back 3 with Storm and Faz as WB's.
Then Torres and Wilson don't play.
Sadly Jackson seems to be a Plan A only coach.

Yes!

When we have the ball at the backs our wide backs are in-line with the midfield anyway.

(Monty did this as well but last year we could put goals away to counter-act)

Leaving only 2 CB’s quite a distance, hence why we are vulnerable on the counter.

So why not go 3-5-2.

Farrell and Roux are much more composed and much more likely to score goals at the moment.

booney

Torres evidently scored a bagful of goals in the Maltese league.They must have different goal dimensions in that league-goalposts twice normal height and twice normal width.FMD he couldn't hit a barn door at point blank range.

There were two parts of our team last night-the defence and midfield who mainly looked like professional footballers without being great.At the other end there was a bunch of poor comedians masquerading as footballers.Wilson looked the best ( not difficult)and di Pizio did the business in his cameo role.Kuol,Tulio,Torres,Theo (apart from the pass to di Pizio) looked as though they were from an U/10 pick up side.Reec did miss the header when it was easier to score but did look more effective than Kuol.

booney

This I think explains Torres......

From tonight with roughly 15 to 20 minutes to go.

Ball is on the edge of the box left side of the ground, Farrell, Theo are working a move with Torres.... its fast and quick feet by all.... Farrell toe pokes a simple touch to Torres who back to goals and facing the stadium drops his shoulder and rounds his marker he is roughly and and a half meters off the goal line and then breaks to the goal line for space....

By now Torres is roughly half a meter off the goal line and about seven meters from the goal and moving quickly... he has three players streaming through on goal all unmarked... a quick pass and its 95% or higher a goal... instead he has a shot hits the side netting about a meter high and about one and a half meters from the post...

Near impossible angle to shot and still had to beat the keeper standing on his post... with three unmarked players streaming into scoring positions...
Great first touch but lacks football intelligence.

Stuartmcateer

Yes!

When we have the ball at the backs our wide backs are in-line with the midfield anyway.

(Monty did this as well but last year we could put goals away to counter-act)

Leaving only 2 CB’s quite a distance, hence why we are vulnerable on the counter.

So why not go 3-5-2.

Farrell and Roux are much more composed and much more likely to score goals at the moment.
This is where some form of visible plan kicks in.

If the wide backs - storm or faz - are high, a cm has to hold position and not bomb on to be able to drop in to cover as a defensive 3 in case of a counter.

Then it comes down to delaying the attack so everyone can get back into shape and not overcommit and get skinned.

I don’t really see our attackers being able to make good runs to support a 3-5-2 at this stage.

Also I think faz and storm would lose a bit of effectiveness going forward if they are required to bomb up and down continuously. Faz is good when he makes those overlapping runs which he wouldn’t be able to sustain with the wingback role (imo).

Stuartmcateer

BTW their goal was on Danny, the corner seem to go in from the corner taker.... they are always a keepers ball...
Yes. And no.

I’m more annoyed with the trend of not having a defensive player on the post- which is 100% on the keeper.

The corner itself came near post so he had to be moving forward. It hit the kid in the back of the head and ballooned over him. Contact is on the corner of the 6yd box. No way he should be out there to get the ball. Not sure many keepers change direction easily in that scenario.

Big Dog

This is where some form of visible plan kicks in.

If the wide backs - storm or faz - are high, a cm has to hold position and not bomb on to be able to drop in to cover as a defensive 3 in case of a counter.

Then it comes down to delaying the attack so everyone can get back into shape and not overcommit and get skinned.

I don’t really see our attackers being able to make good runs to support a 3-5-2 at this stage.

Also I think faz and storm would lose a bit of effectiveness going forward if they are required to bomb up and down continuously. Faz is good when he makes those overlapping runs which he wouldn’t be able to sustain with the wingback role (imo).

It could work. We'd need a 6 to cover but both full wide players wouldn't push forward at the same time. One would drop when play is on the other side of the field. I thought last night screamed for a 3-5-2 formation.

Re Wilson, I thought he had a decent game but looked gassed half way through the second half. Given last weekend was his first start in a while and then backing up probably expected.

Stuartmcateer

It could work. We'd need a 6 to cover but both full wide players wouldn't push forward at the same time. One would drop when play is on the other side of the field. I thought last night screamed for a 3-5-2 formation.
I was more addressing the comment based on our current formation with our wide backs high leaving us open to the counter.

3-5-2 as a concept is ok, but it would be a risk to try and change it in a period where we have a midweek game, travel to the Philippines and a 4 day gap between city and roar. It needs a full preseason of working on it and then some.

I would be surprised if many of our players had much experience in it. It’s not been a popular formation for a while - especially among the curriculum devotees.

I’m not convinced we have the players capable of that system anyway. We don’t have an attacking player who can hold up the ball to allow our wide players time to transition from defence to attack.

Plus we don’t seem capable of breaking down a low block. Pushing more players into that area isn’t really the answer.

midfielder

Gotta give my congrats to Storm.... never a great player, in fact as a defender in the early years I often through he should be a right mid....

But

He always gives his best, runs his arse off, and mostly plays to his ability....

He improved a lot under Monty, and it makes you wonder if he had better coaching earlier he may have been a better player...

Never carries on when not picked, just gets on with it.... and is a team player....

priorpeter

Gotta give my congrats to Storm.... never a great player, in fact as a defender in the early years I often through he should be a right mid....

But

He always gives his best, runs his arse off, and mostly plays to his ability....

He improved a lot under Monty, and it makes you wonder if he had better coaching earlier he may have been a better player...

Never carries on when not picked, just gets on with it.... and is a team player....
Mister Consistent. Every team needs that player who is going to be a guaranteed 7-7.5 week in, week out, nothing flashy, and occasionally pops up with a 9-9.5/10 MOTM performance. He’s ours.

Corsair

But

Agree very much so with all that. I'm highly impressed with his maturity and composure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred