• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Rule question

Deej

Hi all, I coach a local under 10s team and we had some disagreement around a rule during a match recently and the club have asked me to teach the kids what I feel is incorrect so am after some opinions.

The rule in question is :

The goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball anywhere in the penalty area. To restart play after a save or gathering the ball with their hands, the ball must be thrown or rolled from the hands or played from the ground with their feet, within 6 seconds. The goalkeeper
is not allowed to kick or drop kick the ball directly from their hands. Opponents must be at least 5 metres outside the penalty area and cannot move inside the penalty area until the ball is in play. The ball is in play once it moves out of the penalty area or when the goalkeeper places the ball on the ground.

Now I read this as the goalkeeper has 6 seconds to make a choice, roll, throw or place on the ground and kick, attacking team must retreat the required distance. However, the last sentence states the ball is in play once the ball is placed on the ground.

Rules also state :

“goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.”

The laws state a goalkeeper is in possession of the ball when :
  • the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
To me this suggests you are entitled as an attacking team to challenge for the ball because the keeper is no longer in possession.

The club are telling me I should be instructing the team to not challenge for the ball even if the goalkeeper has placed the ball on the ground. I know it’s only under 10s but I believe in teaching kids the right thing for their development. Opinions people?

pjennings

Hi all, I coach a local under 10s team and we had some disagreement around a rule during a match recently and the club have asked me to teach the kids what I feel is incorrect so am after some opinions.

The goalkeeper is allowed to handle the ball anywhere in the penalty area. To restart play after a save or gathering the ball with their hands, the ball must be thrown or rolled from the hands or played from the ground with their feet, within 6 seconds. The goalkeeper
is not allowed to kick or drop kick the ball directly from their hands. Opponents must be at least 5 metres outside the penalty area and cannot move inside the penalty area until the ball is in play. The ball is in play once it moves out of the penalty area or when the goalkeeper places the ball on the ground.

Now I read this as the goalkeeper has 6 seconds to make a choice, roll, throw or place on the ground and kick, attacking team must retreat the required distance. However, the last sentence states the ball is in play once the ball is placed on the ground.

Rules also state :

“goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.”

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
To me this suggests you are entitled as an attacking team to challenge for the ball because the keeper is no longer in possession.

The club are telling me I should be instructing the team to not challenge for the ball even if the goalkeeper has placed the ball on the ground. I know it’s only under 10s but I believe in teaching kids the right thing for their development. Opinions people?

Keeper coaching in local clubs has always been and continues to be fairly patchy so it is understandable that some keepers at that age do not know the rules completely. However, by under 10s a keeper should be understanding the rules. If he (or she) doesn't it is better to learn it by your team challenging at that age than at a later age.

Big Al

Rules also state :

Sounds like the club is going for morales over the rule. They are just saying have fun let the keeper do his thing.
Rule wise I read it as you can attack if you have retreated the required distance and the ball is on the floor to be kicked with hands no longer in play.

The game has changed alot since i was that age. It was catch and kick it in the air. Why don’t they let them kick in the air out of their hands? It’s the skill of being a keeper

Deej

100% it’s about fun at this age that’s the most important thing, I however have always seen the rule as I mentioned and was taught this as a kid. My responsibly as coach is to teach the kids the right thing though which is why I was after opinions. Having said that it is only under 10s and not the World Cup, whatever the rule on game day providing its consistent that’s fine but I do think kids should be taught correctly.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Interesting....I think all this miniroos stuff only came on about the time I stopped refereeing. Before then, U/10 were 11-a-side, full laws (except short corners and goal kicks). At least on the coast anyway. Not all that long ago...

Anyway, even though that rule permits your players to run in as soon as the keeper places it on the ground (and by the 'normal laws', the moment the keeper releases it from his hands - that is, places it on the ground, you can challenge), I wonder if you're being told not to teach your attackers to run in from some moral perspective, or a misunderstanding of the laws.
Personally I don't see how that benefits anybody's development - all that's doing is setting the kids back when they move up to full laws. It harms both the attackers and the keepers by pretending the rules have a protection they dont'

So is this the Aldi Miniroos format? The rules state the players must be 10 yards away from the PA until the ball is in play (leaves the area or is placed on the ground). So the moment the keeper puts the ball on the ground the players can run in. Keepers need to be coached against this by making sure they throw the ball or release it quickly. I think you should be able to encourage the attackers to run in - the rules certainly allow it. But if your club wants to take a different approach then it's up to you if you want to risk having an argument with others in your club. Or maybe have a conversation as to why they don't want the attackers to challenge.

Of course, from a coaching perspective, it's questionable whether you want the attackers hanging 10 yards away waiting to run in, or whether you want them to adopt a more conventional position (ie marking the defenders). On one hand the former is a habit that would have to change once the keeper is allowed to kick it, but on the other hand 'following it through to the keeper' and being aware of keeper errors is good to coach.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami