• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Seeing the back of Charlesworth

Will you back MC to the end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marinermick

The ship is sinking and the man that has told us not to worry about the rising water is meant to be followed?

I don't believe things will be changing but I will still support and attend when I can because that's what we do. But I don't have faith.

Things won’t change without meaningful change. We have been saying it for five years now.

Definition of insanity and all that.

Last edited:

adz

Staff member
If people are going to go to blows about this please remove it. I don't want the site to turn into a warzone.

All good, we're out of the "warzone" phase.

I have it on my huge list of things I'd like to do with the forum "polls" so pretty much like this one. Gets discussion going and a bit of fun to see where everyone else is voting.

Not everyone will reply to a discussion but might be more inclined to vote, so its a good way to get more people involved.

If you (or anyone) think of any more go ahead and post more.

FFC Mariner

Charlesworths business model of sign cheap rubbish, win spoon, sack coach then repeat year after year is like being with a partner who one Friday goes out and f**ks someone else. They apologise, promise improvement and that things will be different from now on.
Next Friday they go out and f**k someone else. They apologise , promise lessons have been learned and everything will be different now.
Guess what happens the next Friday?
Sooner or later you will simply say enough is enough and walk away.
For ever
He started sulking after the banner and the Charlesworth out chants and hasnt been to a game since I believe? Now he acts all butt hurt and threatens to take his ball and go home.
Start walking champ and dont let it hit your arse on the way out

booney

A yes vote in so far as I will continue to attend games and support the team until the bitter end( which I hope never happens).Charlesworth's motivation for initially saving the club and then not spending the necessary money to keep the club competitive are a mystery to me and probably to most on this forum-surely he did not expect to make money on a small provincial club in a backwater league.I think the club is stuck with him as I don't think a white knight is going to come along.
BTW well done to jacobclear who started the thread-he has the club's interests at heart as do most posters on this forum even if there are disagreements.

Ads

Still stumps me about Charlesworth wanting a no salary cap league.
I know it might increase the interest for him to sell.

But who thinks it’s just another ‘well timed’ article/media release to distract from the poor ness and maybe give a little hope?

I know businesses can use other entities or businesses as tax write offs, etc.
Is there a chance that MC isn’t actually loosing 1mil per year?

As in the football stats will show that but than clever accounting gets him back to square?

Ancient Mariner

Jacobclear, my opinion and your opinion have equal value on this forum and I do not challenge your right to make full use of anything, like polls, that the forum has to offer.
I stand by my opinion that this poll to me is meaningless as I will stand by any members right to disagree with me.

As many will agree I have been an apologist for Charlesworth on this forum for a long time, trying to explain and make sense of his actions to the best of my ability using logic with very limited information as to his true intentions. I cannot see that his actions of the last 10 years make logical sense in making the Club sustainable or himself better off. I will back any reasonable attempt to make the Club viable. I will agree or disagree with his methods or his decisions. I do not understand what you are asking as to being behind him or not
I do not see any one here being in a position to back him or not. He is the owner and by the divine right of ownership can do with the Club whatever he wishes.
If you ask do you agree or disagree with his decisions, methods, ideas, etc. is a totally different question.
If you ask would you prefer him to stay or prefer him to go, no matter what the consequences, that is also a very different but I think more interesting question.
Maybe I am being pedantic but I think it important to know that you really make clear what you wish to answer.

On the other issue, as a very proud foundation member of the Club I will call out anyone who claims that honour falsely in what I can only see as a means of bolstering their standing in a discussion.
I remember your original request as I have been giving it some thought as to how I could offer some advice. I know nothing of the field but was thinking who I could point you to who does. If you are interested please send me a PM and I will give you my suggestions.

Thank you for your answer it clears the air and there is definitely no need for fisticuffs, verbal or actual. We are all friends here.

Many of us who post here are now friends after initial "interesting" discussions. See Dibo V Wombat in many historical bouts or Womabat v. Ancient in that famous heavyweight title bout conducted in the North Sydney Jungle.

FFS the Club is about to hit a fork in the road and probably not before time. It needs all the support it can get. If you do not post again until next season it may be very well too late.

Interesting times in the extreme. :eek:

Last edited:

jacobsfl

All good, we're out of the "warzone" phase.

I have it on my huge list of things I'd like to do with the forum "polls" so pretty much like this one. Gets discussion going and a bit of fun to see where everyone else is voting.

Not everyone will reply to a discussion but might be more inclined to vote, so its a good way to get more people involved.

If you (or anyone) think of any more go ahead and post more.
Thanks dude, I'll keep that in mind. Won't be a regular thing though

I just don't want MC feeling like he's unwanted, as that's a pretty sore feeling. That said, it's also taking an emotional toll on a lot of you guys more than anything (away trips).

If we all come together I feel we can make it happen. But the second we lose that faith, we lose everything.

jacobsfl

But who thinks it’s just another ‘well timed’ article/media release to distract from the poor ness and maybe give a little hope?

I know businesses can use other entities or businesses as tax write offs, etc.
Is there a chance that MC isn’t actually loosing 1mil per year?

As in the football stats will show that but than clever accounting gets him back to square?

I don't understand why he is pushing for it anyway given he's spending on the floor of the cap. The benefit of having the cap is so that teams like FC don't receive enormous investments and get the best players and facilities, the gap is already big enough. You can't have the big clubs running away from the smaller clubs.

That said, there's so many "exceptions" so is there even any point?

FFC Mariner

I don't understand why he is pushing for it anyway given he's spending on the floor of the cap. The benefit of having the cap is so that teams like FC don't receive enormous investments and get the best players and facilities, the gap is already big enough. You can't have the big clubs running away from the smaller clubs.

That said, there's so many "exceptions" so is there even any point?
I agree, the cap is a farce. However, MC will use no cap to spend even less. That buys even worse footballers than we currently have. The bloke isnt fit to own a club

Reactions: adz

jacobsfl

I agree, the cap is a farce. However, MC will use no cap to spend even less. That buys even worse footballers than we currently have. The bloke isnt fit to own a club
I think he'd be better off with more help, but I'm worried it's too late to get it.

Josho Howe

The best analogy l can come up with is we were the Titanic from 2005-2013. 2014 we hit the iceberg and 2020 the ship has nearly sunk. Change with a new owner with fresh ideas will be our lifeboat.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I voted yes not because I have or feel any real connection with MC, I’ve never met him and struggle to understand why you might own a football club on the other side of the globe and show very little interest (at least publicly) by failing to attend any games (why not spend at least a few weeks here in person enjoying the lifestyle and taking an active on the ground interest in the club?).

Notwithstanding the above, without MC CCM may well not exist or we might be a distant memory as the former location of the “Canberra Mariners” (or whatever). Whatever the club’s position, my love of CCM is a reflection of my love of the coast and, if CCM fails, we will be very unlikely to ever get a pro sports team on the coast again. That would be dreadful and something I would have great difficulty accepting. MC is not perfect, from from it, however, he owns the club, saved it from extinction and deserves some level of respect. That said, he also needs to listen to our concerns and show us what he is doing to make things right.

If true fans want to help the club then encourage everyone you know to come to a game and get behind the club in every way you can. Buy a jersey (from the club), support sponsors and work collectively to assist pulling the club out of its current predicament. What do you all think?

As an aside, on Sunday after the game, I took my eldest son (11) and mother (grandma) down to the fence to get the boy’s ball signed. All of the players were friendly and happy to chat and sign the ball. A special word for Ziggy, however, when he stopped in front of my 80 years old mum and she said “we come every week and will always support you” to which Ziggy took her hand and with great sincerity said “thank you ma’am, that means the world to us”. I suggest we find 10 more Ziggy’s (no easy task) who truly care and, as fans and the team we all work together to help get this club back on track.
Thank you for sharing that about Ziggy. That's fantastic. I love that as the season has gone on, we've all supported him more - and that he seems like such a fantastic guy off the field.
To still care at this point in the season is commendable - and he seems to be maintaining his care factor more than most.

Big Al

Yes as long as Anton is there to steer the football department’s to where they need.

we have our structure back just going to take some time for success.

i am a full 12 months ahead of some. I was feed up last year and now see some structural things improving and now just need some better senior players than McGlinchy

midfielder

I post with a heavy heart, like a number of people I attended every game in season one, but memberships were not common so only became a member in season 2 and have but for a handful of games not missed a game over the years.

Ancient, you ask and present a logical argument pertaining to our ownership .

You have made me think on where my loyalties lie, and how do we as a Football community support our club.

My response will not please many, Football has been part of my life, I started playing when I was four and only stopped for health reasons which hopefully may be passing so can maybe play again next year.

My teams over the years that I have supported at Auburn, Blacktown Demons, The Northern Spirit & The Mariners.

My loyalty is to Football more than the Mariners. Today Australian Football in a world of hurt mostly self inflicted. Since 1955 when a certain Frank Lowy established a competition essentially of well supported and backed owners we as a Football nation left the notion of association Football where your regional association represented your local area. In the 70's another attempt was made to form a national professional Football competition and thus the NSL under Soccer Australia was created.

The NSL fell over and Frank Lowy came back for his third attempt i.e. the A-League and despite the letters of protest from Les Murry to Frank Lowy the Central Coast gained a spot instead of a western Sydney bid of former NSL clubs.

Today the A-League is in serious survival trouble, the formation of a second tier as its called say division is coming, only legacy broadcast contracts are preventing the transfer of power from FFA to the clubs running the league. A new club based four person panel is to take charge from today as I understand it.

iHal will need all the help it can get to take control of the conversation, gain the confidence of fans, broadcasters whoever they will be, & sponsors.

Unity is the call from the new CEO of FFA and have been impressed by the start that JJ has made.

As a club we don't have a god given right to be in division 1.... today the Mariners are part of iHals problems we bring very little to the table and those wanting P & R, rightly point to our short comings.

All teams under their licence agreement with FFA signed off on achieving certain metrics, while arguably no one aside from MV met basic levels, the Mariners metrics are woeful in terms of crowds, media space and ratings.

If we don't improve deep within my soul I believe we will be kicked out.

Hand on heart not the other thing we are a decent state league team and have been for quite a while.

Management has been beyond hopeless, the attempt by Mike to run the club from England and appointing English premier league experienced managers to set up the club has been IMO a major failure, beyond that the instance of MC sign off on all key decisions ties the hands of local decision makers.

Change can happen, but for change to happen existing operational systems need to be cast aside. Within the community I think there is a will and maybe even the expertise to turn some things around... but so long as the decision making processes remain as they are I can't see us lasting another two years.

Further we don't deserve to be division one because 16 years ago Frank Lowy so wanted to cast aside the ethnic teams of Western Sydney we were given a spot.

The ball is at Mc's feet.... a new CEO could also be on the cards... although I am unaware how much authority MC has given Shaun i.e. is he a CEO or a general manager carrying out instructions.

I remember the year following our grand final win, David Gallop attended a forum at the Mingara club when asked about our success and that we had made a profit ... he said you [meaning the CCM] will only survive with excellent management and thats not what we have had.

Open to help in any way I can... but as we are we should be kicked out...

Ironbark

This is what I have been pondering recently too, but haven't wanted to air it before thinking it through properly. There may be other explanations but I really can't see any evidence to rule this idea out yet.
If this is it the next question becomes sell to move the licence or sell to keep it here?

pjennings

Sorry Middy - I have cut out parts of what you said to respond to other parts. I appreciated all your comments

My teams over the years that I have supported at Auburn, Blacktown Demons, The Northern Spirit & The Mariners.

Mine were APIA and Balmain (NSWRL) being a good Five Dock boy working in Leichhardt

My loyalty is to Football more than the Mariners.

To me my loyalty is to the Mariners (representing my home) and the National Teams

Today Australian Football in a world of hurt mostly self inflicted. Since 1955 when a certain Frank Lowy established a competition essentially of well supported and backed owners we as a Football nation left the notion of association Football where your regional association represented your local area. In the 70's another attempt was made to form a national professional Football competition and thus the NSL under Soccer Australia was created.

The NSL fell over and Frank Lowy came back for his third attempt i.e. the A-League and despite the letters of protest from Les Murry to Frank Lowy the Central Coast gained a spot instead of a western Sydney bid of former NSL clubs.

We gained Wollongong's spot not Western Sydney's when Wollongong refused to put in the bid for a spot made for them. I think that if there were two clubs in Sydney from the beginning the Smurfs would be a very small club. Bringing in WSW later was a good move. Conversely Victory should have had competition in Melbourne.

As a club we don't have a god given right to be in division 1.... today the Mariners are part of iHals problems we bring very little to the table and those wanting P & R, rightly point to our short comings.

P & R is a furphy until their is a 2nd division running along side the HAL. At that stage I will support P & R but 120 clubs around Australia spreads the talent too thin.

All teams under their licence agreement with FFA signed off on achieving certain metrics, while arguably no one aside from MV met basic levels, the Mariners metrics are woeful in terms of crowds, media space and ratings.

If we don't improve deep within my soul I believe we will be kicked out.

I don't agree - I can't imagine the iHAL being formed in a way that would allow people to invest millions and then be kicked out to no longer exist. I see a different scenario. Next season we will be at 12 teams. The following year I think we will go to 14 teams and the NSD will start. At the end of that year I can see us being relegated.

Hand on heart not the other thing we are a decent state league team and have been for quite a while.

I suspect your hand is is on the latter. Our NSL golden boot is struggling at the HAL level. Many of our players have dropped back to the NPL and excelled. The NPL is a good comp to watch but the standard is not great. To suggest that we are at State League level - (now NPL4) i.e fifth tier is just not sustainable.

Further we don't deserve to be division one because 16 years ago Frank Lowy so wanted to cast aside the ethnic teams of Western Sydney we were given a spot.

Addressed earlier - but John O'Neill also claimed the one city - one team concept was his and his alone.

The ball is at Mc's feet.... a new CEO could also be on the cards... although I am unaware how much authority MC has given Shaun i.e. is he a CEO or a general manager carrying out instructions.

I remember the year following our grand final win, David Gallop attended a forum at the Mingara club when asked about our success and that we had made a profit ... he said you [meaning the CCM] will only survive with excellent management and that's not what we have had.

If the FFA had provide excellent management the HAL and CCM might not be struggling the way they are

I firmly believe the situation we have found ourselves in is not only on the club's leadership. There has been no help from the FFA and many of their decisions over many years and regimes have hurt the club. Similarly Central Coast Council have purportedly gone out of their way to pay NRL clubs to play at CCS. If they paid the Mariners the same per match as I have heard and the Mariners didn't have to pay north of $500,000 to play at the stadium the club would be around $2m a year better off. Now I am not expecting that - but your anchor tenant should not be subsidising other sports to play at the Stadium. That is without the hurdles that have been put up at the COE.

Now for the positive spin. No one wants to invest in us. However, in spite of what some skeptics will say (probably with more knowledge than me), if we get management rights of the stadium I think we can get a big turn around relatively quickly as long as we are not relying on 15-25 event days to be the sole revenue source. If the right decisions are made I can see multiple investors being interested in at least partnering Mike.

Elite

As an aside, on Sunday after the game, I took my eldest son (11) and mother (grandma) down to the fence to get the boy’s ball signed. All of the players were friendly and happy to chat and sign the ball. A special word for Ziggy, however, when he stopped in front of my 80 years old mum and she said “we come every week and will always support you” to which Ziggy took her hand and with great sincerity said “thank you ma’am, that means the world to us”. I suggest we find 10 more Ziggy’s (no easy task) who truly care and, as fans and the team we all work together to help get this club back on track.
Ziggy is quality human being, both on and off the field. Thanks for sharing. Love stuff like this. Exactly what this club should be about.

Tim

All the players signed jerseys were auctioned for the pink round. Highest was M Simon at $450, a decent result for a very worthy cause to support a club legend’s family. Of note, only Ziggy and young RDR offered 45 mins one on one training sessions that people could bid on. Credit to both for doing so and perhaps no surprise that Ziggy’s was the highest bid for any item at $550!! A wonderful gesture by both players to donate their time to this cause. Surely other players can do the same next year, which offers fans a chance to make a worthy contribution and spend a few mins with a player (or watch their kids have a ball!). While I missed out on the coaching session I did manage to snare Ziggy’s jersey as a consolation for our boys...

Wombat

I have been massively critical of Mike but I still have some love in my heart for him atm. He has been derelict as an owner for the last 2 or 3 years BUT he has also been losing cash.
I think we should all be looking at ways to help him sell the club or at least a controlling interest. Love to keep him as an investor but not in our current set up.
We ALL should also be hassling the council about CCS. The Mariners are a massive icon and draw card for the Coast. The stadium locks us in to Gosford and that is a massive win for the club and for future investment in the Coast and the Mariners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami