• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners are the exception.

bathurstmariner

From foxsports.com.au

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23361473-23218,00.html

Red shirt is key to success
From Chris Court in London, England

March 12, 2008

THE success of football teams wearing red shirts - including Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal - is no coincidence according to academics.

Their findings suggest that simply wearing a red shirt has given football teams an advantage - thanks to our deep-rooted biological response to the colour.

The research, by the University of Plymouth and Durham University, has been published in the Journal of Sports Sciences.

Researchers analysed data on English football league results since World War II - concentrating on how teams have performed at home when they nearly always wear their main signature kit colour.

They found teams wearing red across the whole of the top 68 clubs winning more often at home. Teams wearing yellow or orange shirts had the worst record.

But the researchers found no difference at all in performance away from home, when teams typically wear a range of colours that often change over the years.

In nature, red is often associated with male aggression and display - and in the sporting arena research by Durham scientists demonstrated that competitors wearing red had increased success in Olympic combat sports.

Professor Robert Barton, from Durham University, said: "We see a couple of possible explanations.

"Firstly, over time supporters may have been subconsciously more attracted to a club wearing red, so the club has developed an increasing resource base within its community.

"Secondly, there may be a positive psychological boost from wearing red, or being associated with a red team, that is reflected on the field of play. Competing against a team in red could also impair performance.''

Dr Russell Hill, also from Durham University, said: "It is certainly true that the influx of wealthy foreign owners has changed the resources available to some teams and this should result in increased success, regardless of their shirt colour.

"Nevertheless, in close matches where teams are evenly balanced, we still predict that wearing red could tip the balance between success and failure and the red advantage will still persist.''

Teams wearing yellow or orange shirts had the worst record.

Australia must be the reverse of Europe when it comes to team colours.  :thumbup:

dibo

hmmm...

the study generally seems a bit bollocksy - it's assuming that correlation = cause.

in the case of liverpool, bill shankly had them wear all red (as opposed to red with white shorts and socks) in the early 60s because he felt it made them look more imposing. but there might be a relationship between red and having lots of fans. this would equal more money, therefore better players, therefore more success. there could be any number of other relationships that are important.

much of the time the difference between winning the league has been the away record (hellloooo liverpool!).

both liverpool and arsenal have often worn yellow away kits though, it'd be interesting to see the difference that away kits make, and see if there's any relationship there. milanistas consider the white away kit to be lucky, so what's doing there? over the most part of the last century spurs have been one of the superclubs in the UK and they wear white. ditto for leeds and PNE. while superclub of the 50s blackpool wore orange.

some of the most successful clubs in the world (the old firm, boca, santos, real, juve) don't wear red. juve wore pink for the early part of their history FFS, and i don't reckon that would've been all that threatening.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I think I've seen Man U in about a dozen different strips over the years....nearly all with no red....and they didnt seem to be losing too many.....methinks the chappies at durham university are smoking too many cornflakes or sumthin

skilbeck

i reckon its because more teams wear red world wide, that red is considered a successful color. Think about the scores of red teams playing in lower divisions in all the leagues in England. Theres no wonder that 3 of the top 5 teams are red. I dont believe there would be that many teams wearing yellow or orange in the lower leagues.

Also look at national teams. The most successful national team of all time at the WC is Brazil. Guess which colour they wear.

ryan

I'd like to see a study done on Man Utd's grey away strip. Did it affect their performance or were they just a bunch of useless whinging wankers looking for excuses when Southampton was ripping them apart?

:thumbup:

serious14

ryan said:
I'd like to see a study done on Man Utd's grey away strip. Did it affect their performance or were they just a bunch of useless whinging wankers looking for excuses when Southampton was ripping them apart?

:thumbup:

Shutup.  That shit shirt is never to be spoken of again.  :p

Auburn Mariner

Grey shirts, plus a sublime Matthew Le Tissier (the best English player of his generation, easily) meant for a miserable day at the Dell.

Ryan, we Manchester United fans do not look for excuses, not that we need many after winning 9 EPL's. Useless whingeing wankers, I think not.

happy

bathurstmarinator said:
Red shirt is key to success

that sounds interesting. can't imagine that this is true otherwise we (Nrnberg) would have been very successful in the last years as we are wearing red trikots since day one... ;D

but on the other hand, our national team got red away shirts for the 2006 World Cup as they show aggressiveness.

Jesus

Jesus
isnt real madrid the most succeful club in europe? Dont they wear white? Barce?
granted milan are succeful in italy, but so are juve, and inter.

All a load of rubbish for mine.

Portugal have never one anything, like spain :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred