• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A league media deal thread

Tevor

So listened to the Global Game podcast, the media deal has not changed it’s the APL that have decided to give less to the clubs from the media money. Lots of agenda’s going on at the moment. Peil’s comment was specifically mentioned as well. When you know the details as Hill mentioned it’s a very messed up place the APL.

turbo

the media deal has not changed it’s the APL that have decided to give less to the clubs from the media money
Did they give any more detail? Because off the top of my head there's possibilities like:
They actually gave out too much for income this season and needed to correct
Rising production costs mean less to distribute

dlanod

Murdoch can't own a paper and a TV station in the same city can he?
Or did they change the law?
It's two of three (TV, newspaper, radio). News Corp doesn't own radio assets, so can buy a TV station these days. However Lachlan Murdoch owns NOVA radio stations and is chairman of News Corp, so there'd need to be some wiggle there about concentration of media with him specifically.

Tevor

Did they give any more detail? Because off the top of my head there's possibilities like:
They actually gave out too much for income this season and needed to correct
Rising production costs mean less to distribute
What Hill said was after year one the deal was re negotiated and I believe he said in 2021 and that it has not changed since. So the APL is getting the same cash as they did the last few years. What I suspect he was getting at is the production costs which the APL took on are so much higher with that other company going broke so now the Clubs get less as they have to pay much higher production costs. There is an agenda to make Paramount out to be the bad guys but it is purely all the APL’s doing. The cash that has been wasted by the APL is extraordinary and that is who should be held accountable not Paramount.

Makes sense, when I was talking to Rich in Oman and I had a few by then he was suggesting the new APL is trying to sort out a big mess which will be very difficult and take time. I suspect there is a possibility the APL may not even survive. Also explains why he and MC are after new investors as it is going to be a lot more expensive next year to run a club with so much less cash from the APL.

turbo

There is an agenda to make Paramount out to be the bad guys but it is purely all the APL’s doing. The cash that has been wasted by the APL is extraordinary and that is who should be held accountable not Paramount.
I agree the APL got themselves into this mess. I think P+ had a major role in the subs KPI not being achieved (if they were ever achievable) with their app issues but ultimately that still comes back to the APL negotiating and agreeing to the deal. No argument from me around the APL wastage.

turbo

It's two of three (TV, newspaper, radio). News Corp doesn't own radio assets, so can buy a TV station these days. However Lachlan Murdoch owns NOVA radio stations and is chairman of News Corp, so there'd need to be some wiggle there about concentration of media with him specifically.
If it means losing the network the rules will bend or go away entirely. The government doesnt want that happening on their watch.

Big Al

What Hill said was after year one the deal was re negotiated and I believe he said in 2021 and that it has not changed since. So the APL is getting the same cash as they did the last few years. What I suspect he was getting at is the production costs which the APL took on are so much higher with that other company going broke so now the Clubs get less as they have to pay much higher production costs. There is an agenda to make Paramount out to be the bad guys but it is purely all the APL’s doing. The cash that has been wasted by the APL is extraordinary and that is who should be held accountable not Paramount.

Makes sense, when I was talking to Rich in Oman and I had a few by then he was suggesting the new APL is trying to sort out a big mess which will be very difficult and take time. I suspect there is a possibility the APL may not even survive. Also explains why he and MC are after new investors as it is going to be a lot more expensive next year to run a club with so much less cash from the APL.
Makes sense because didn’t paramount come out and say APL didn’t ask them to do production. So there is mud slinging between the two supposed partners.

Danny tried to do a deal with a cheap mob and they went under now they have to pay proper production rates.

Still haven’t hears ditching VAR which would make some small savings on go pros and useless officiating

dlanod

If it means losing the network the rules will bend or go away entirely. The government doesnt want that happening on their watch.
I'd imagine Lachlan would happily divest himself of his radio assets if it means News Corp can get hold of a television license. NOVA is worth more than Ch 10 on paper, but Ch 10 has massive upside compared to FM radio.

Big Al

I'd imagine Lachlan would happily divest himself of his radio assets if it means News Corp can get hold of a television license. NOVA is worth more than Ch 10 on paper, but Ch 10 has massive upside compared to FM radio.
Not so sure about that. TV as we know it isn’t what it used to be. Especially 10. It’s hard to break up the dominance of 7 and 9 news and the rest just isn’t resonating with as many people.

That is why sports are so important to those networks but they have the dominance of the two codes that use hands

midfielder

Murdoch can't own a paper and a TV station in the same city can he?
Or did they change the law?
Nine does.... now... in fact Nine goes... TV, Stream, Radio and Paper

He spend a lot of time getting permission to buy 10 when it was in Administration... he got pipped at the post by Paramount who had the advantage of having an extra media player...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred